Guadalcanal Diary Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best inspiring movie ever made!

The best inspiring movie ever made!

• Jan 14, 2019

Good film, pity about the racism, even for propaganda, First rule of war is to dehumanise the enemy. War is hell, Hollywood does not show the whole truth.

• Mar 22, 2014

"A typical, inspirational WWII Hollywood movie, a product of the times and pressures in which it was made."

• Nov 19, 2013

Above average war film set in Guadalcanal, as the army take over a deserted Airfield and village, however soon they are under attack, and the story includes diary events of the soldiers,which are read out,One of my favourite actors Preston Foster is exellent, Preston Foster as Father Donnelly Lloyd Nolan as Gunnery Sgt. Hook Malone William Bendix as Corporal Aloysius T. "Taxi" Potts Richard Conte as Captain Don Davis Anthony Quinn as Private Jesus "Soose" Alvarez Richard Jaeckel as Private Johnny "Chicken" Anderson Roy Roberts as Captain James Cross Minor Watson as Colonel Wallace E. Grayson Ralph Byrd as Ned Rowman Lionel Stander as Sergeant Butch Reed Hadley as War correspondent / Narrator John Archer as Lieutenant Thurmond star, The majority of the film was shot on location at Camp Pendleton, near Oceanside, California. Many of the Marines stationed there were filmed while on maneuvers and a substantial number appeared in the picture in small speaking parts or as extras Its an enjoyable film,with original film footage, and loss of life, but gives an historical insight into war at the time

• Apr 20, 2013

War propaganda, but it still showed how hard it can be to be a soldier so I will give it honesty points there. I do not think I will see it again.

• Jan 11, 2012

Besides watching the film for the purpose of war propaganda at its time, Guadalcanal Diary bears almost no memorable value when viewed today

• Aug 10, 2011

A factual account of the US marines operations on Guadalcanal coloured by the type of propaganda typical of wartime films. In this case, it's not an entirely bad thing. Richard Jaeckel looks all of 17 in this.

• Jul 27, 2010

It feels more like an awareness piece more than an actual film, but the message is still loud and clear with a strong sense of patriotism at its core

• Nov 23, 2009

"I thought these monkeys lived on fish heads and rice!" They keep referring to the japanese as "monkeys" but hey, this movie was made in 1943 and that kinda language is pretty authentic given the circumstances and all. Overall a solid story. Maybe a bit polished for the home front audience, but I guess that was for the best. The REAL Guadalcanal on the other hand...I don't know if I'd ever want to see a movie about that.

• Randy T Super Reviewer
    Jan 28, 2009

Solid war film chronicling one of the bloodiest battles of WWII, the taking of Guadalcanal by the U.S. Marines. Nice performances from Richard Conte, Anthony Quinn and a VERY young Richard Jaeckel.