Gunner Palace Reviews

• Oct 16, 2016

Stupid, terrible music. Sad to see some get killed. Realistic look at Iraq

Stupid, terrible music. Sad to see some get killed. Realistic look at Iraq

• Dec 24, 2014

watched this in class a few weeks ago. Interesting take on the war.

watched this in class a few weeks ago. Interesting take on the war.

• Alex r Super Reviewer
    May 30, 2013

Gunner Palace is a riveting documentary about the Iraq War. Director Michael Tucker plunges us deep in the action and gives something we would not normally see. This is a raw and gritty documentary that shows us what war is really like. Gunner Palace plunges deep in the action, and it is a riveting documentary that will certainly appeal to viewers interested in warfare. Along with Restrepo, this is one of the best films on the subject of modern war. Everything you see is unique, intense and unforgettable. I thought that the material was riveting and exciting due to the fact that it's not something that we wouldn't normally see. Gunner Palace is a finely crafted picture that is among the finest documentaries in recent memory. This is a must see for viewers interested in the subject of the war in Iraq. This is unfiltered to show you exactly how it is, and a lot of it is shocking, but all very real. Gunner Palace is sure to appeal to war buffs, and if you're interested in war and military subjects, then give this one a shot. The film gives you a taste of what it's like, and it is entertaining from start to finish. You're on the edge of your seat from the first frame onwards as we see the men constantly in harm's way. This is a riveting film that is sure to make you think and appreciate what Military personal go through. If you're looking for a great documentary to watch, then Gunner Palace is the one for you. Films like this are great to watch because we get to see something that we'd never see due to the fact that many people nowadays are interested reality TV. However this is real, and for that reason it makes it that much more interesting.

• Jan 05, 2013

The ridiculous narration lowers the tone to the point where it feels like "COPS: Iraq."

• Jan 28, 2012

Directors Michael Tucker and Petra Epperlein have crafted an unusual documentary that chronicles life at Gunner Palace in Iraq from the point of view of the US troops. Some of the most powerful moments have to do with segments showing off the rapping skills of some of the troops. They're piercing and full of commentary.

• Jan 05, 2012

Thursday, January 5, 2012 (2004) Gunner Palace DOCUMENTARY/ WAR Involving look on a Seattle reporter's correspondance with some of the much younger recruits who were fighting in Iraq, who can be as young as 16, starting with the take over of Saddam Hussein's luxury palace called Gunner Palace, hence the title. This documentary also shows the hyprocisy regarding American governments in power particularly ex-secretary in chief Donald Rumsfield who vouched for the Iraq war to happen for the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" but shows too much unecessary other talents (like playing an electric guitar for instance)than on some of the existing problems the troops had to endure while fighting. 3 out of 4

• May 21, 2011

I refreshingly agenda-free look at the war in Iraq and those brave (and unfortunate enough) to fight it. Over the course of the documentary you are introduced to the soldiers stationed at "Gunner Palace"--a former stately home to Hussien's son. Join the soldiers on raids, listen to their stories and their woes, watch as they survive and die. The film has no conclusion and no catharsis, making it an excellent document of the war in Iraq.

• Mar 06, 2011

A meandering collection of footage from Iraq, following members of the US military through both their work and casual time, all narrated by a guy who sounds like a Batman-costumed Christian Bale.

• Feb 28, 2011

hugely insightful and obviously realistic, but lacks the punch i expected .. these soldiers seem bored with their 'job' and that vibe leaks right off the screen and into the audience ..

• Nov 04, 2010

A down-to-earth movie about the lives of soldiers in Iraq. Not sensationalized, not glamorized, not idealized, not criticized.