Hail, Caesar! Reviews

• 1d ago

This movie sprawls out like an episode of family guy; just a series of oh-so-kooky conversations or hit-or-miss set pieces only tangentially related to the plot that go on for far too long. The dialogue suffers from the same problems that other lesser Coen brothers' films have suffered from, especially their big misstep in Intolerable Cruelty where they seemed to think an annoying quirk can make dialogue snappy and charming if they just repeated it over and over. Some of the set pieces are impressive, like the synchronized swimming, but others, like Channing Tatum's tap dancing scene, are so unrelated to anything that they quickly become tedious. This movie is a love letter to an era of cinema that does have a lot to be celebrated about it, but none of that is really seen here. Rather than having characters, the film is more like a series of cameos that never really pan out into anything interesting, with the exception of the Jonah Hill cameo, which was quite fun. All the rest of the characters, especially the two main leads, constantly make you wish each scene would end so you can get away from this boring subplot and get back to the meat of the movie, but that's how you feel about all the scenes, and there is no meat of the movie. I considered giving this movie a slightly higher rating. For most of the film it puttered on at a solid two and a half stars, just barely not interesting enough to hold my attention, but the ending is so confusing and anti-climactic that it dropped a full star just when it should have been delivering its most impressive moments.

• 4d ago

Movie-goers that left before the end of this movie-made the best call there! Clooney's scene at the crucifixion made me want to spit at the screen. Shamefully written! The laughs on Clooney and all these so-called stars played in a deplorable movie. It wasn't an ode to Christ, the exact opposite; it's an Ode to blasphemous Hollywood Trash. Well done Coen brothers...this movie belongs in a backyard burn pit!!!

• Oct 04, 2019

As a long-time Coen Brothers fan, I went into this film with the expectation to be wowed...but unfortunately I came out disappointed by a convoluted plot and bland pacing.

• Sep 16, 2019

Boring and never gets off the ground. A waste of big star cameos too... huge disa

• Sep 05, 2019

Sat in the theater for a hour before i walked out in confusion

Sat in the theater for a hour before i walked out in confusion

• Sep 04, 2019

IMO, this is probably one of the weaker Cohens bros feature, but even then, it's still a damn near perfect. A real delight for any cinephile

• Aug 07, 2019

I enjoyed every second of this film, appreciating the satire and thoroughly enjoying the comedy of all the players. Clooney and Brolin were brilliant, as well as Ralph Fiennes "would that it twuuuuh"! I pity anyone who could not enjoy this movie. Suum cuique, I suppose.

• Jul 31, 2019

Not really an homage, not really gripping - just a stylish reflection of Hollywood's glorious (and often, not-so-glorious) past.

• Jul 04, 2019

A terrible waste of a good cast with a completely idiotic story and too much time wasted on moronic scenes and musical numbers. Don't waste your time. Take a power nap instead.

• Jul 03, 2019