Hampstead Reviews

• Jul 30, 2020

Such a sweet story with two of my favorite actors--Diane Keaton and Brendan Gleeson. The beauty of Hampstead Heath is a lovely background for a feel good story of two older people who find each other while saving his home.

• Mar 26, 2020

This film was lighthearted, charming, and witty. Loved it!

This film was lighthearted, charming, and witty. Loved it!

• Feb 07, 2020

If I could give 2.5 *'s I would. Loved Brendan Gleeson, but then I always love him. I think he's ok in this one. I was prepared to dislike Diane Keaton because, let's face it, she always plays Diane Keaton. But I have to confess she started out pretty well in this and was pretty good until...until..."oh god, please don't buy the beret" and --- she did and released her inner Annie Hall. No, even past that it was the plot. Not the writing per se (he had some pretty good lines and hers, well, ok) but soooo predictable. No, I don't recommend it.

• Dec 19, 2019

I'm not so sure why so many people didn't like it. I thought it was a really nice story. It held my attention. Nice happy ending, although slightly different than what I expected. I enjoyed it, and will watch it again.

• Sep 15, 2019

A gentle and charming tale based on a true story & also a paean to a special place and the people that enhance it (I may be biased, it's my birthplace & I still love it.)

• Aug 27, 2019

Keaton's botoxed face seems incapable of any expression, and her performances lack any emotional depth. There's clearly no chemistry between her and Gleeson, so scenes which should be full of passion and anguish are flatter than her chemically restrained forehead. It's a sweet enough story, but weakly told. However the film trots along at a watchable pace and is saved from complete oblivion by a strong performance from Gleeson and excellent support from some fine British actors including Lesley Manville, Simon Callow and Philip Davies.

• Aug 16, 2019

This rather felt like some inspiration had come from The Lady In The Van, with Maggie Smith. And touches of R.Curtis's work too. But Mr Curtis would have done a better job, of that I'm pretty certain. At too many points is credibility stretched too far here, with the initial setting of the first anniversary-widow Keaton getting into financial quicksand while simultaneously meeting - and liking too deeply and much too fast for that initial cred to survive - a chap who's essentially a tramp, living "rough" in a nailed-together shack of sorts in woodland across the road. Such a lady just wouldn't have done so. And he transformed from a solitary tramp-curmudgeon to a mostly-reasonable-and-educated willing converstationalist, conveniently not smelly and begrimed. They leapfrog into bed in her flat's attic, while she fends off a comedically-randy accountant, there's placards to stop a developer from building on the plot where the tramp has his shack - and from that point on, there was only one way for this thing to go without suddenly going off the rails it'd forged during the flick's first half. Allegedly based on factual happenings in Hampstead concerning a tramp's successful legal battle with big finance, they just wove too many layers that stretched one's intelligence much too thinly. It just would have never progressed in the way shown here. The plot is saved to some extent by some characterful roles from the peripheral cast, but the damage was too extensive for them to save this unfortunate outing. Keaton's capable for better than this (was she present to key into American backing - since it's popularly supposed that unless there's an American biggish name in the cast, no US finance will be made available?) About American stupidities such as that - nothing would surprise me... Because of the supporting cast's efforts, three stars awarded.

• Susan C
    Aug 02, 2019

Good story, good laughs. Not a typical rom com aimed at the 20-somethings, had some substance.

• Jul 28, 2019

Great movie, the actors and London are superb.

Great movie, the actors and London are superb.

• Jun 29, 2019

Loved This Movie! Romantic duo with lots of twists and turns. Many surprises in the story with well cast actors. Every character immerses you deeper into the story until you sense that you are in the midst of it. A very well done film. [Spoiler Alert] I found all of my rising hopes in the developing story to be dashed, then raised again like the Phoenix.