A Handful of Dust Reviews

• Dec 02, 2016

The disintegration of an upper-class marriage and a strange encounter with a man who likes Dickens in a Brazilian forest make no heads nor tails in this adaptation of British writer Evelyn Waugh's semi-autobiographical novel.

• Oct 28, 2013

A beautifully shot adaptation of the Evelyn Waugh classic. However, the acting, other than that from Scott Thomas and Dench, is a little lightweight. The characterisation is weak, to the extent that I found myself strangely detached from the main tragedy. Sir Alec Guinness has a relatively small part but carries off his role with aplomb. It's a decent British film with some very recognisable faces, for example, John Junkin. Worth a watch.

• Jul 26, 2012

I think this is a very under-rated British film that perhaps one day will be more appreciated. Great performances and score and if the ending drives anyone to seek out the extraordinary novel that it is based on...

• Jan 31, 2011

Pretty good Evelyn Waugh adaptation from a starry cast

Pretty good Evelyn Waugh adaptation from a starry cast

• Jul 21, 2010

Ponderous retelling of a brilliant book. Misses all the evil humour in Waugh's novel. And it's got a young Stephen Fry in it. Even Alec Guinness looks like he's going through the motions as the wicked Dickens fanatic Mr Todd.

• Jun 01, 2010

Tragic, scandalous and interesting. I love the 1930s atmosphere and high class drama.

• Jan 26, 2010

As the description says... "BRUTAL". I finished the film with a verbal "Oh my gosh" accompanied with a long stare at the screen. Couldn't remember why I put this movie on my list but it was good. Shocking and good. The ending will annoy me for so long. Not a movie for everyone, because it's not the fastest paced movie around, but it goes places I totally wasn't expecting. Interesting film.

• Oct 28, 2009

reasonable movie, good performances, not too believable though.

reasonable movie, good performances, not too believable though.

• Oct 11, 2009

Great acting, interesting story, and a 1930s wardrobe to die for!

Great acting, interesting story, and a 1930s wardrobe to die for!

• Jul 18, 2009

A story of the crueoty humans can inflict on others by attitude,a sad movie of unjustness.