Happiness Runs Reviews

• Oct 03, 2012

Despite the negative reviews I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

Despite the negative reviews I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

• Jul 10, 2012

kranker film. sehr krank und verstörend. aber interessant

kranker film. sehr krank und verstörend. aber interessant

• Jul 27, 2011

Tragic and disturbing. Exactly how I would imagine it to be to live amongst a polygamous cult.

• Dan B Super Reviewer
    Apr 12, 2011

Disturbing, uncomfortable, and somehow pervasively dull. I kept waiting for an actual plot to develop, but it never really does.

• Jan 03, 2011

One of the worst movies of the year.

One of the worst movies of the year.

• Dec 31, 2010

i actually enjoyed this film. centered in a hippie utopia that's not exactly the way of life for the kids growing up in it, lotsa drugs and sex.....but yet this still resembles a white suburban melodrama. tries a little too hard at times but still worth a watch.

• Dec 12, 2010

I truly cannot understand why Adam, who may have had his difficulties in the community in which he grew up (which was founded by my parents), but in general was loved, admired, and cared for, would wish to present such an unrelievedly-negative image of the life he lived there. I know he says it's fiction, it's not about us, it's just getting out his psychological pain and ya yas, but still... one has to realize that it will cause great pain to others who may not deserve it when one makes a movie like this. I believe that the film has little to do with the reality. I know for sure that Irving, my father, the apparent prototype for "Isley", the "commune leader" in this film, was nothing like this. And he loved Adam and Adam's mother very much, and admired them deeply. He thought of them as kindred spirits. I hope Adam will continue to visit, which he does almost every year, and that one day perhaps he'll make another film based on his experiences at QH-Magila that will be a lot more "fair and balanced," to borrow a phrase from (in my opinion) fascistic Fox News.Anyway, Adam, we love you, no matter what. Maybe all of us have to get stuff like this out of our systems when we're young. Adam himself, in his Director's statement, has said that he had an idyllic childhood in many ways. I regret that it was not entirely so. But perhaps some of these are not the fault of those around Adam. Anyway, we love you, yet must say, we are NOT this place you depict.

• Nov 22, 2010

Looking purely at the idea its representing it is an interesting subject to have turned into a film the end project unfortunately doesn't do the subject justice.

• Nov 14, 2010

pretty looking, but very meandering...lacking direction...meh

pretty looking, but very meandering...lacking direction...meh

• Oct 10, 2010

Dreadful. Too much emphasis on creating "cool and arty" cinematography (which fails by a long way anyway) and no effort put into developing a story, script or message worthy of any attention whatsoever.