Hard Candy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hard Candy Reviews

February 11, 2018
I didn't know what this was about when I saw it. Had no idea. Boy, was I shocked at the turn it took! And while I abhor cruelty, and movies that focus too much on that aspect, once I understood the background, I found myself understanding the situation and seeing where both people were coming from. The plot was clever, the writing realistic. Page and Wilson were committed to their roles, and it showed. I love seeing movies where everything comes together, and everyone's at the top of their game. Good movie. Not for the faint of heart, though.
January 28, 2018
Not what I expected at all. Ellen Page's character physically couldn't have done what she did. Plus pedophiles wouldn't give-in and submit to their guilt so easily, they'll try any and all means possible to get away it. This had potential, but failed to make it believable. Grade C-
January 10, 2018
Very unique and interesting movie. Great acting, great story and lots of suspense.
January 6, 2018
Disturbing, uncomfortable and incredibly tense viewing, 'Hard Candy' is a simple story that is smartly written and executed, with outstanding performances from Wilson and Page, as well as some great camera-work to top it all off. Granted, there are a few things that don't make too much sense, but with what's happening on-screen being so utterly captivating and intense, you don't have time to think about it - to be honest, you may find that it doesn't really matter. Overall, it serves as an excellent calling card for debuting director David Slade with the feeling of complete agitation you're left with after the credits roll serving as undeniable proof of the film's impact.
December 26, 2017
A grossly disturbing film that seemed more like a lesson in retribution than revelation.
November 14, 2017
One of the worst movies I've ever watched. Story line was drawn out and repetitive. Ending made no sense.
October 9, 2017
A somber cautionary tale for paedophiles turns into a curious revenge fantasy when it loses its effectuality in an unbelievable narrative and a disturbingly precocious performance from Ellen Page.
½ October 1, 2017
Story about a young teen girl who goes home with an older guy after meeting him online. I really like this movie. One of my favorites. Ellen Page is really convincing.
½ September 16, 2017
In pochi vorranno vederlo ancora, ma capolavoro del cinema thriller indipendente a basso budget. Un vero horror psicologico, controverso e fortemente inquietante. Nonostante le scene forti siano quasi insopportabili fa rimanere lo spettatore costantemente incollato al film per tutta la sua durata. Dire che il cast incredibile dir poco, specialmente Ellen Page, che a sedici anni fa quella che a detta di molti la sua miglior performance. Anche la fotografia eccezionale, un fantastico film, non per tutti.
August 26, 2017
Great camera work, and Ellen Page is a tremendous actress.

I can't say I found it as disturbing as some, but it's certainly provocative.
August 23, 2017
Great revenge movie. If only all who commit these crimes met the same kind of fate. If you liked Man on Fire, Leon the Professional, John Wick, Law Abiding Citizen. Definitely not for everyone though....LOL
April 28, 2017
I kind of enjoyed this but I wouldn't watch it again
½ March 31, 2017
One of the most excruciatinlgy painful cinematic moments ever! What "Hard Candy" did for me was to basicallly have me question what is acceptable and was is moral. The performances by both actors were amazing! It's a really distrubing movie about a real and hard subject, with a very contrpversial discussion. Surely not the best, but absolutely served its purpose. I'm still thinking about it.
March 13, 2017
The two stars given are earned exclusively by the lead actors, without whom the tensity would be considerably weakened, leaving this movie with not a lot left to stand on. While often espoused as "controversial" or "brave," the subject of pederasty is used as an easy-target incendiary device in order to make torture more palatable to the viewer. While you do get the occasional sense that the protagonist is herself disturbed, by the end of the film it feels as though she is celebrated as a paragon of vigilantism. Boiled down, Hard Candy is violent revenge fantasy with a strong sense of moral superiority.
March 7, 2017
Emotionally satisfying, and fast paced enough to leave you with little time to dwell in the questions. Visually stunning it may be, the camera work also, to my untrained eye, perfectly conveyed the emotional tension and intensity of the scene.
February 16, 2017
Preachy chastisement.
January 10, 2017
A well acted unsettling thriller that both teases and delivers.
½ January 6, 2017
The concept in Hard Candy was good, the acting was good, but the plot is weak and the ending is what ruins most of the movie for me. The biggest problem I have with the film is that it becomes 80% torture & 20% everything else (which is not enough). The dude has several chances to overpower this tiny little girl/lady and he doesn't? It looked as though she would barely make it to 90 lbs and that's with soaking wet clothes! Really? Come on! There's also a surgery and it seemed he was under more pain before the surgery than during the surgery...what? How the hell is that possible given what type of procedure it is? Also, the asian neighbor...why was she even in the movie? She clearly heard noises and saw someone on the roof and she just let that go? And the ending? That's what really ruins it for me (and why I won't rate it at least 3/5 or 6/10). The first 30 minutes are good and then it went downhill for me. If you're in the mood to just watch a torture movie with little substance after that, then go ahead. Very average movie 2.5/5 OR 5/10
½ January 3, 2017
Intense is a word. Painful another.
January 1, 2017
There is no plot to this movie. Stupid movie.