Hard Candy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hard Candy Reviews

½ September 16, 2017
In pochi vorranno vederlo ancora, ma capolavoro del cinema thriller indipendente a basso budget. Un vero horror psicologico, controverso e fortemente inquietante. Nonostante le scene forti siano quasi insopportabili fa rimanere lo spettatore costantemente incollato al film per tutta la sua durata. Dire che il cast incredibile dir poco, specialmente Ellen Page, che a sedici anni fa quella che a detta di molti la sua miglior performance. Anche la fotografia eccezionale, un fantastico film, non per tutti.
August 26, 2017
Great camera work, and Ellen Page is a tremendous actress.

I can't say I found it as disturbing as some, but it's certainly provocative.
August 23, 2017
Great revenge movie. If only all who commit these crimes met the same kind of fate. If you liked Man on Fire, Leon the Professional, John Wick, Law Abiding Citizen. Definitely not for everyone though....LOL
April 28, 2017
I kind of enjoyed this but I wouldn't watch it again
½ March 31, 2017
One of the most excruciatinlgy painful cinematic moments ever! What "Hard Candy" did for me was to basicallly have me question what is acceptable and was is moral. The performances by both actors were amazing! It's a really distrubing movie about a real and hard subject, with a very contrpversial discussion. Surely not the best, but absolutely served its purpose. I'm still thinking about it.
March 13, 2017
The two stars given are earned exclusively by the lead actors, without whom the tensity would be considerably weakened, leaving this movie with not a lot left to stand on. While often espoused as "controversial" or "brave," the subject of pederasty is used as an easy-target incendiary device in order to make torture more palatable to the viewer. While you do get the occasional sense that the protagonist is herself disturbed, by the end of the film it feels as though she is celebrated as a paragon of vigilantism. Boiled down, Hard Candy is violent revenge fantasy with a strong sense of moral superiority.
March 7, 2017
Emotionally satisfying, and fast paced enough to leave you with little time to dwell in the questions. Visually stunning it may be, the camera work also, to my untrained eye, perfectly conveyed the emotional tension and intensity of the scene.
February 16, 2017
Preachy chastisement.
January 10, 2017
A well acted unsettling thriller that both teases and delivers.
½ January 6, 2017
The concept in Hard Candy was good, the acting was good, but the plot is weak and the ending is what ruins most of the movie for me. The biggest problem I have with the film is that it becomes 80% torture & 20% everything else (which is not enough). The dude has several chances to overpower this tiny little girl/lady and he doesn't? It looked as though she would barely make it to 90 lbs and that's with soaking wet clothes! Really? Come on! There's also a surgery and it seemed he was under more pain before the surgery than during the surgery...what? How the hell is that possible given what type of procedure it is? Also, the asian neighbor...why was she even in the movie? She clearly heard noises and saw someone on the roof and she just let that go? And the ending? That's what really ruins it for me (and why I won't rate it at least 3/5 or 6/10). The first 30 minutes are good and then it went downhill for me. If you're in the mood to just watch a torture movie with little substance after that, then go ahead. Very average movie 2.5/5 OR 5/10
½ January 3, 2017
Intense is a word. Painful another.
January 1, 2017
There is no plot to this movie. Stupid movie.
½ December 28, 2016
Better than expected and very uncomfortable.
½ December 23, 2016
Too squeamish - had to exit the theater.
½ November 20, 2016
11/20/2016: Meh. It was ok at best. Page did great though.
½ November 6, 2016
One of the most WTF movies I've ever watch....
October 7, 2016
Ellen Page portrays the exact opposite of her character in the 2007 film Juno. What made Juno so engaging was Page's ability to conjure empathy from the audience, even in her moments of fault. The only person who can conjure empathy in this film is Patrick Wilson, whom Page's character demonizes ruthlessly. The film gives the audience absolutely nothing conclusive or concrete to justify Page's maniacal torturing of Wilson. It portrays Page as someone who turns the predator (or lack thereof) into prey out of bloodlust, rather than out of pride. Another piece of concrete material that the film refuses to show the viewer is proof that Wilson's character is even half as monstrous as Page thinks she knows he is. Wilson is anything but a predator on the prowl as Page pushes his character to a slow, torture riddled death. The only positive about Hard Candy barely pervades over the film's first act; it's ability to hide from the viewer what is about to unfold next. Not a complete abomination, but certainly a film that makes me clutch my body rather than my popcorn.
½ September 13, 2016
Twisted Film. Was not sure what too expect but I was not expecting what happened. If your a guy this movie may be painful too watch.
½ September 3, 2016
A sick, savage and psychologically sadistic exploitation film with so much crippling tension that most audience members will leave the theater in a stretcher.
½ August 14, 2016
Disturbing and intelligent. Perfect for psychological thriller lovers.