Haywire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Haywire Reviews

½ December 18, 2016
A well made movie of the genre. Excellent debut from the lead actress. Great cast
December 11, 2016
Clearly the endgame for Steven Soderbergh's "Haywire" (2011) is to give MMA fighter Gina Carano plentiful opportunity to promote herself as Steven Seagal with sex appeal, spunk, and estrogen, but with her limited charisma unmatched by her emboldened physicality, the film becomes less about Carano and more about Soderbergh (a versatile filmmaker with no prior experience with the action genre) trying to prove to himself that he can switch gears and pretend that he's Tarantino directing "Kill Bill Vol. 1" (2003).
But Soderbergh's all flash and no pan, an assembler of cool style given no outlet to three-dimensionalize. His determination to characterize "Haywire" as understated revenge fodder only highlights Carano's inexperience as an actress - without his name backing the project and without the astonishingly high number of A-list actors serving as his support team, it'd be unsurprising if all in front of us were actually a 1990s era Jean-Claude Van Damme direct-to-video vehicle that never quite flew.
The story's too connect the dots to register as anything more than fluff. In "Haywire," Carano is Mallory Kane, a black ops agent on the run from the law following her being framed for murder by her cunning employers. Told almost exclusively in flashback - we're introduced to her character smack dab in the middle of her rendezvous with serious danger - we go through the motions of her backstory as told to the civilian (Michael Angarano) she steals the car of.
Her bosses and peers played by an assortment of big names featured in thankless roles (the ensemble comprised of none other than Ewan McGregor, Michael Douglas, Michael Fassbender, Bill Paxton, Channing Tatum, and Antonio Banderas) - suppose anyone's willing to work with Soderbergh ("Traffic," "Ocean's Eleven") no matter the feature - "Haywire's" incapable of being seen as a film and not as a point to be proven. Its performances so mechanical and its plot so "Point Blank" (1967) lite, it's about as able to encourage pulse-poundings as well as Cindy Crawford's acting debut - it's functional and effective when it needs to be (the fight sequences are the only moments able to inspire any kind of reaction), but it's action filler missing a necessary frenetic component.
Carano's attractive and an efficient performer - just look at her steal scenes in "Fast & Furious 6" (2013) - but her slim range enforces conclusions that she's better off a character actress to be confined to meaty supporting roles. The abundance of leading men by her side conversely reminds us why the majority are leading men and not underdogs, and Soderbergh, accomplished as he is, wasn't made to direct movies with escapist violence at the forefront - he's too much a humanistic artist to bait popcorn simplicity. And so "Haywire's" a mixed bag, proficiently made and acted but unable to connect. It's diversion without the fun.
December 9, 2016
A good Soderbergh action movie without any prevention. A crush on Gina Carano... she's a killer queen!!
October 30, 2016
It's a double-cross shoot-em-up, but it's a pretty good one! The film is better if you watch the bonus feature about Gina Carano's training.
October 20, 2016
Such a great action flick with a female lead that is so killer + cool! I was really impressed!
September 29, 2016
This action movie begins very slowly but picks up pace about a quarter way through. With as many name stars - Channing Tatum, Ewan McGregor, Bill Paxton, Antonio Banderas, Michael Douglas - one expects more than this delivers. Gina Carano did a decent enough job, but she reminded me a bit of Derek Zoolander in many scenes. She's trying for different looks to convey feelings, but they all ending up just looking constipated.
½ September 15, 2016
This is a brilliant movie. Gina Carano is a revelation in my opinion. Watch it without expecting a standard Hollywood Glitz action movie and you will likely live it.
½ August 19, 2016
I liked it. Generic plot and not the best acting but entertaining and good filmmaking.
July 27, 2016
It's beautifully shot and has a great cast, but Haywire is a mostly boring, uninspired attempt by director Steven Soderbergh, with uneven pacing and a cliche story.
July 24, 2016
I must have seen a different movie to most who argue this is a good thriller. I found it to be dull, sub-standardly acted and poorly scripted with some decent fight scenes thrown in. The plot is hard to follow and fails to really make any sense by the end in that it is a too long a plan for all the components to fall into place. The fight scenes looked good but the lack of tense music behind them caused the battles to become dull, especially the climactic fight. The top notch cast seem to put in half hazard performances (Fassbender aside) and Soderbergh's direction is uninspiring and lacklusture. Don't be fooled by the names on the box, this movie is not worth the short running time it boasts.
June 4, 2016
Carano is okay in her first lead role but is really just there for fight scenes. Those scenes are entertaining, but everything else, from the plot, characters, and more, are pretty boring and forgettable.
½ June 2, 2016
You've got to be f_cking sh_tting me! Critics put down the crystal meth! Sometimes even A list actors can't save you from a sh_tty plot! Also, the acting done by Gina Carano, f_cking horrible! If you really want to see a bad a_s chic action flick then go watch Colombiana! End of story!
April 21, 2016
Action-packed and visually stunning, Haywire is a film that most action fans should enjoy. Gina Carano is great as the lead, and the star-studded cast is amazing as well. Definitely entertaining, but felt lacking in a few areas. Good to see, but it won't blow you away by any means
April 4, 2016
An underrated, slow, methodically paced action-thriller. Gina Carano has great screen presence, and though her acting ability is lacking, she's surrounded by A-list actors to help pick up the slack. Also, has a lovely, jazzy score.
½ March 30, 2016
This has lots of people in it. An ensemble cast, if you will. Yet it is truly dire. The whole thing is shot via Instagram filters. The storyline is absent until the last 279 seconds. Even then it's paltry. This is not worth the £1 I paid from Poundland for it. I'm never getting these 90 minutes back.
March 24, 2016
Despite the stellar cast, lead Gina Carano lacked personality and seemingly also lacked a script, rendering this otherwise solid thriller, somewhat of a bore
½ March 22, 2016
This movie was . . . haywire. It could have been very good, but too many loose ends
March 18, 2016
This is really not a good film, I can't understand the positive critic reviews it has. It's slow and cheap looking. The action chase sequences in Dublin are laughably badly paced and so cheap looking and poorly managed that its obvious they're re-using the same 3 masked extras to represent the 'dozens' of SWAT team members that apparently rocked up in one 4x4.They Dublin sequences are dull and without character. I'm guessing the Irish Film Boards money went on getting Steven Soderburgh who then called in some favours from people who liked working with him to give up their weekend for a big cheque. The big names are rarely seen off the phone or out of an office or living room (a dead give away of a short low-effort shoot). The story such as it is is inconsequential and 'builds' or rather sleep walks to a climax at what I believe is probably Bill Paxtons real house. As for Gina Carano she is just so wooden in the role of BAHF, if she doesn't appear to care about or be emotionally engaged by the conspiracy against her why should we..
On the positive side it's always good to see Bill Paxton and I liked the score.
½ March 16, 2016
For a decent cast, the acting blows. Find something else.