High Sierra Reviews

• Aug 13, 2019

Great film noir classic. Humphrey Bogart finally achieves actual stardom as he stars in Raoul Walsh's rousing (if not exactly credible) gangster caper adapted for the big screen by John Huston from the novel by W.R. Burnett. Although Bogie is the main character in the movie, top billing went to Ida Lupino, who plays a gangster's moll. I am impressed by the performance of Ida Lupino, notice her dialogue and facial expressions , fabulous .Bogie is Roy "Mad Dog" Earle, a newly-released ex-convict, who intends to make one last score with a small mob hiding out in a mountain cabin. A caper that would lead to a police chase in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Also starring Arthur Kennedy, Joan Leslie, Alan Curtis, Henry Travers, Jerome Cowan, Barton MacLane, Henry Hull, Elizabeth Risdon, Cornel Wilde, Donald MacBride, Paul Harvey, Isabel Jewell, George Meeker, Willie Best & John Eldredge.

• Aug 12, 2019

it was a great movie.bogart was great.i love his movies.

it was a great movie.bogart was great.i love his movies.

• May 10, 2019

High Sierra is an excellent film. It is about a notorious thief who is hired by his old boss to help a group of inexperienced criminals plan and carry out the robbery of a California resort. Humphrey Bogart and Ida Lupino give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Raoul Walsh did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action and mystery. High Sierra is a must see.

• Dec 13, 2018

Not in the Casablanca class

Not in the Casablanca class

• May 01, 2017

It is easy to understand why this film was the basis of two remakes (Colorado Territory and I Died A Thousand Times) being the original classic high quality romantic/crime thriller film noir it is. What else to expect from John Huston? Superbly written, cast, acted, directed , and edited Bogart is in his element especially showing us the great internal regret of being a criminal and falling for the innocence of a fine young girl like Velma. Not even a gracious act of helping her walk normally again can fix that. At the same time it is a poignant illustration that no one know where the heart of a woman goes - not even them. When she says "I just don't love him Pa." and bursts into tears these two human emotions collide then become one. This is not a film to be missed. A masterpiece of storytelling and film making.

• Mar 05, 2016

A greek tragedy of a gangster epic that helped define Bogart, and set the stage for what was to follow.

• Jan 03, 2016

The real meaning of Humphrey Bogart www.tinyurl.com/z5a5vgg

The real meaning of Humphrey Bogart www.tinyurl.com/z5a5vgg

• May 24, 2015

the film is best remembered for turning Bogart into a bona fide leading man, a legacy for which we all owe High Sierra a great deal.

• May 04, 2015

Turning point in Bogart's career with a suited female partner as Ida Lupino. Maybe in the end you feel some pain for the end of "mad dog" Roy Earl. Great outdoor filming and cars chasing too.

• Apr 15, 2015

I was going to give this a big rotten review due to the first half being so overdrawn and incredibly boring! I enjoy build-up, but this took way too long and had nothing going for it until the last half where the movie begins to finally come together and keep my attention. Maybe I expected too much, but the acting was above average and watching this for the last 45 minutes made things worthwhile.