Home on the Range Reviews

• 6d ago

This movie is decently animated with beautiful color composition. It harkens back to old western tropes and motifs. Growing up, I appreciated the main characters being three strong willed female cows. This film is absolutely underrated, unfortunately produced in a time when everyone's eyes sparkle for computer graphics and computer animation.

• Dec 29, 2020

Home on The Range, ultimately considered as the movie that killed 2D animation, offers lame animation, uninspired visuals, and unfunny toilet jokes that makes everyone laugh for the wrong reasons, this film's cult status is hard to watch today.

• Dec 11, 2020

I still love it. But I wish Disney would never give up on 2D Animation.

I still love it. But I wish Disney would never give up on 2D Animation.

• Nov 09, 2020

About as bad as everyone says it is. Fast paced garbage with no substance, like Emperor's New Groove without any witty writing or fun movement. If you want to distract your kids with fast movement, just watch Emperor's New Groove!

• Oct 23, 2020

One of the best disney films, it has an acceptable script, very cool and funny characters, I love this film too bad that the cast is not that good.

• Aug 27, 2020

Makes The Black Cauldron look like a masterpiece.

Makes The Black Cauldron look like a masterpiece.

• Aug 06, 2020

Overall it was a good movie and the kids stayed entertained. So as a kids movie it gets 5 stars. A bit boring and predictable as an adult viewer.

• Aug 01, 2020

Enjoyable. I had never heard of 'Home on the Range' until recently, given I felt consistently entertained by it I'm surprised it hadn't reached my horizons before. It's nothing deep or massively meaningful, but it's good family fun that the younger audiences will probably largely like. It doesn't feel Disney-esque, I will say that. There are a number of instantly noticeable voices in the cast. Steve Buscemi, Cuba Gooding Jr., Jennifer Tilly and Judi Dench all appear as Wesley, Buck, Grace and Mrs. Caloway respectively. Away from them, Randy Quaid does well as Alameda Slim, while Sam Levine is mildly amusing as the Willie Brothers. Premise-wise it's nothing standout or entirely memorable, but I had a nice enough time watching it unfold and that's all you really ask for. Solid film.

• Jun 26, 2020

While far from one of the worst animated films ever made and certainly not as effortless as some are inclined to believe, Home on the Range isn't very good. It's just bland. The animation and voice acting are okay and there's certainly a good score but the two-thirds of the characters are either forgettable or obnoxious, the jokes are predictable and flat, the story is unremarkable and it has absolutely nothing that makes it stand out within the Disney Animated Canon. Especially since the next film in the canon, Chicken Little, which I think is slightly worse than this film, stands out but for all the wrong reasons. To call this a lazy film would be unfair since the director, who previously worked on The Road to El Dorado, clearly wanted to make this movie work, not to mention he'll want your head served on a silver platter if you so much as entertain the idea that nobody cared about this movie and just wanted to get it out of the way to collect their paychecks. But I didn't even have enough fun with the movie to even call it okay making this an unceremonious way for Disney to end their 2D-animated adventures before shifting to 3D animation. And yes, I know this ultimately wasn't the last traditionally-animated feature in the Canon but this movie, which finished production before Brother Bear, marked the point where Disney threw in the towel and decided to try their hand at this CGI business that's all the rage. And since traditionally animated features were no longer released theatrically annually after this film, it makes this Western comedy a decidedly unfitting swan song. Maybe one day, hand-drawn animation will make a big-time return to cinemas. Highly unlikely at the moment but not outright impossible. Only time will tell.

• Jun 20, 2020

Home on the Range: Fatphobic, sexist, horrid plot, and utterly forgettable. Judi Dench, Cuba Gooding Jr, and Steve Buscemi deserved better. I hope I never have the displeasure of watching this ever again. 0/10