Honey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Honey Reviews

May 22, 2013
Stunning cinematography, beautiful static camerawork, suppressed performances and quiet characters make this a masterpiece. Kaplanoglu is a new auteur and he creates paintings instead of shots. Every location is researched to the last bit and the movie in whole is a wonderful piece of art the likes of which we very seldom find.
May 16, 2013
recommended by sirpant......
ElCochran90
December 31, 2012
Features that consolidated a new movie trilogy:

- A backwards, alternate chronology
- Development of sound effects
- An upwards improvement of cinematography
- More humble origins (with each new film)
- The same pattern to open a film (with its respective, long shots)
- The same style to end a film (degradation and catharsis)
- Poetry

Result: A new auteur is born.

97/100
½ November 14, 2012
??? ??????????????? ?????? ????????? ?? ???? ?????????? ????????? ??????? ????? ?? ?????? ?????? ????????? ???? ? ????? ?????????? ???????? ??????????? ??? ??????? ? ????????? ???????? ????? ??? ????????? ???? ??????? . ???? ?? ???????? ???? ?????????? ?? ???????? ?? ?? ???????, ??? ?? ??????? ??? ?????? ???? ??? ???. ??? ?? ???????????? ?? ???????? ?????? ??? ??????? ?????, ????????? ??? ??? ??????????? ?????? ??? ???????? ??? ?????????????? ??? ???????? ?????????? ???????? ??????????. ???????? ??? ?????? ??? ??? ?????, ???? ? ????????? ????????? ???????? ?????????, ????????? ??????????? ??? ????? ??? ???? ??????? ???????????.
July 27, 2012
Nothing complicated, except the task of understanding life.
½ July 24, 2012
I gave it 30% because after I watched it this movie made sure that I went outside to paint my gate, cut the grass, wash the car and feed the chickens......an effort to make up for the fact that I had just spent the most unproductive 1hr and 40 minutes of my life! The script is non existent and most of the movie is taken up by silence or people talking about religion. The scenery and style od direction is supposed to make up for this and form the main focus of the movie, letting the characters physical relationships tell the story???? I think not, there are tons of great movies out there with sweeping landscapes and artistic direction which makes this movie nothing more than one big yawn in comparison, from start to finish. Unless you enjoy bees swarming around a bucket and people glaring at each other, long camera shots of up to 1 minute long of someone sleeping or walking around the house in silence. Quite frankly as long as we are talking about swarming, I have had more fun watching flies swarm around a shapely turd!
July 10, 2012
What was it that inspired somebody to make such a dreary movie about a boy, his bell, and a bunch of bees? Dull this movie may appear, but a wonderful insight into Rural Turkish life it was to me. I'm glad i watched it, especially for the dancing at the festival near the end of the movie
½ June 24, 2012
The trials and tribulations of a 5 year old boy who struggles at school and whose beloved father goes missing will move and engross you
½ June 15, 2012
Painfully slow moving, exacerbated by the low-level camera shots to represent the angle of vision of the boy protagonist. However the scenic shots are beautiful and the story contains plenty of meaning.
May 24, 2012
it's not a film for festival audience, not an interesting story, and not having any hihgly intellectual ideas. and its slow. but i'm not that kind of audience. + golden bear winner in berlin international film festival.
½ May 3, 2012
Honey is the story of Yusuf, an incredibly shy young boy and the intimate relationship he shares with his father, Yakup. An only child, Yusuf is a loner in school and struggles to form relationships with his classmates. HIs solace lies with his father, a honey farmer, who collects from the bees in the forest. One day his father must travel to the far reaches of the forest, because of a bee shortage, but when he doesn't return, Yusuf begins to fear the worst. 'Bal' is a beautifully tender film that perfectly captures the perspective of it's young, main protagonist. The story is incredibly simple, and through this simplicity the film uses striking cinematography and small moments to capture the loneliness this young boy feels int he absence of his father. One scene of beauty occurs when Yusuf whispers a dream he had into his father's ear, so they alone can share this secret between themselves. Some would call this a slowly paced film, and it is, but I would call it a very naturalistic look into life and the nature of the universe. Before his father goes missing, the film has a very minimal sense of dread that is set up through small close encounters, almost if Kaplanoglu is making a statement about fate and the nature of our world, slowly hinting at what is to come. Kaplanoglu's film is very minimalistc and lets "nature do the talking" in this story of a boy, and family's fate. Oh, and per usual for Kaplangolu, the ending is insanely poignant.
February 22, 2012
An engrossing film with a unhurried pace, detailing the slowly unfurling tragedy of a missing father experienced through the eyes of his six year son Yusuf.
January 13, 2012
"Bal" es una pelicula simple sobre la dificil infancia de Yusuf, quien tiene que sobrellevar la perdida de su padre y sus problemas en la escuela. Indie-europea, tiene esos elementos que gustan en los festivales (minimalismo, tristeza, ambiguedad argumentativa) pero que es aburrida para una cartelera comercial normal. Vale la pena, pero no es para cualquiera.
½ January 9, 2012
very very good. Child actor Bora Altas was excellent.. The director Semih Kaplanoglu really really professional...
½ December 14, 2011
Beautiful.
But dull.
I really want to visit Turkey now, though.
December 10, 2011
A Turk named Yusuf? Sounds familiar. I'm in.
½ August 3, 2011
This Turkish film is beautifully presented and allegorically poetic in true-arthouse-tradition, but it loses its momentum a little towards the end. The film's strong points are the masterfully restrained performances from the three leads and the breathtaking cinematography, which - regardless of whether you read the subtitles or not - makes the film a mesmerising watch, nonetheless.
Arianeta
July 5, 2011
So slow movie but so beautiful.... I cannot believe that a film so slow so silent ? will like it so much. Through some spectaculars shots the director give us the splendor of simplicity of life. It is an exquisite film in all senses: the story, acting, visuals, and sound. The last film of Semih Kaplanoglu's Yusuf Trilogy It's not a film meant for festival audience. It's not a film promoting some highly intellectual ideas few can make sense of. It features a breathtaking beauty, beauty of life itself. Without any superficiality such as music, effects and faster than life rhythm it creates suspense so much so that we stay on tip toes till the end wondering: what shall become of Yusuf? And we find it out at the end...ok I don't want to spoil it. But let me tell you one thing when the movie was over nobody could move from their seats. This is the miracle of Dir.Semih Kaplanoglu.
½ June 24, 2011
Extraña película turca donde describe la relación padre-hijo sin necesidad de grandes diálogos, mundos apartados de la civilización donde todos los conocidos son familia en un ambiente apartado, lejano hasta para la imaginación occidental, paisajes grandiosos y la actuación infantil grandiosa con gestos que describen todo lo necesario sin embargo el guion como suele suceder es extremadamente lento con escenas incoherentes que le degradan lo que pudo ser una buena obra de arte
June 9, 2011
Slow and quiet Turkish film with a lovable boy actor and very nice cinematography. Quote: "Dreams are not told aloud"