The Hospital Reviews

• Jan 26, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Jan 30, 2018

Led by George C. Scott's strong lead performance, The Hospital's grim story is backed up by social commentary.

• Jan 19, 2018

its a bit of a soap opera, but i enjoyed the hospital, i like george C scott

its a bit of a soap opera, but i enjoyed the hospital, i like george C scott

• Aug 17, 2017

So bad... So good. But really so bad. But also. So good.

So bad... So good. But really so bad. But also. So good.

• May 22, 2015

The Hospital is easily one of the most confused scripts I've ever seen captured on film. It's a harsh drama about the struggles of doctors and nurses in the medical field, but then it's also a satire about the sorry state of health care at the time, but then it's also a wacky Scooby-Doo style of murder mystery, but then it's also a whirlwind romance. 103 minutes isn't enough time to make 4 different movies, so Paddy Chayefsky probably should have just chosen one (or at most 2.) It is loaded with rambling speeches that try to justify the philosophy they are espousing. It's dark and dreary, which could work when they are aiming so directly at making a point, but the story undermines the strength of the message. It would work so much better if there was no killer who orchestrated the deaths. If it continued to be all about the negligence and sloppy practices of the hospital staff, then that would bolster the theme of the film. Instead we get a psychotic, rambling lunatic who is arranging for the hospital to finish his victims off. That whole ending completely ruins any good will the film had earned up to that point. George C. Scott is certainly engaging as the lead in The Hospital. The problem is that he is a bit too brazen and over-the-top to be sympathetic. I never really got on his side in this movie, so I wasn't invested in what happened to him. Diana Rigg, on the other hand, could be reading out of a phone book and I would be entranced. She has such a charm to her, that every line seems to have depth and meaning. I find myself wanting to slap Dr. Bock for even contemplating the option of not going with her. There are several other good character actors in this film, but most of them get small parts that only pop up for a few scenes. There are moments where I started to think The Hospital was going to be a great film. Some of the speeches were quite interesting and filled with undeniable truth. If they had made a movie to back up the words it would have been impacting and maybe forced me to contemplate the flaws in medical practices. Of course, the other problem is that, within the last 40 years a lot of things have changed in the way that medical facilities deal with these issues. That's not to say that there aren't still problems, but they are different from the problems that we see in The Hospital. So that also makes the satire a bit dated. As a result there was very little I enjoyed about this film. It certainly tried hard to win me over, but I would not recommend others seek it out.

• Mar 04, 2015

I didn't really like this movie all that much. It was interesting until about halfway through, with good performances, but then lost it's grip somewhere around the part the main character meets his "love interest", if you can even call it that. The last twenty minutes were downright ridiculous and unsatisfying, and the psychotic killer pretty much gets away with murder. How did the critics give this such high unanimous ratings? The acting, I suppose.

• Sep 22, 2014

This freaky hospital is as mad as hell and even George C. Scott can't take it anymore.

• Jan 21, 2014

Another great work by Paddy Chayevsky (see '' Network,' and '' Altered states'') dont be fooled by the 1rst 30 minutes; it looks like angry slpstich societal farce, but it adds up to more, its made of sensititvity toward the powerless dssatisfaction of a word facing a demographically impossible situation, and the necessary but opposed rising of voices of all concerned. it could have come out as cynical, but instead, through humour, reveals another face of realism. The change of pace seems harsh but perfectly fits the varied and contiguous contexts.

• Nov 02, 2013

Slick, subversive and with a darkly comic bite, Chayefsky and Hiller create a unique medical film that satirizes the absurdity of American healthcare. Scott is flawless as a disillusioned doctor, set against a backdrop of wacky patients, cold doctors who end up on their operating tables, and a sultry Diana Rigg.

John B Super Reviewer
    Oct 17, 2013

A good film about an urban hospital environment featuring an outstanding performance by George C. Scott. I think there is many a hospital television show that received its inspiration from this bold original.