Howards End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Howards End Reviews

February 19, 2019
Based on a novel written by E.M. Forster, it presents the social and class divisions in Edwardian England through the wealthy Wilcoxes, the intellectual Schlegels and the underprivileged Basts. Margaret is the link that connects them in different ways with her infinite kindness and the talented Emma Thompson <3 portrays this character with such naturalness and grace, so many emotions conveyed. She is so worthy of her Oscar and her Bafta for this movie. This is truly a masterpiece that stands out for everything: performances, direction, sets, costumes, music score and, of course, a screenplay that with all of its marvelous dialogues full of British expressions of old, won an Oscar! One of the best British period films I have seen, I must say!
January 9, 2019
V clever, great performances and script.
October 16, 2018
The true Ivory/ Merchant masterpiece! During the 1990's I used to watch this movie, at least, once every two months! I bow at the GREAT Emma Thompson's feet!!!
October 8, 2018
this is one of those films I can watch over and over and not grow tired a bit! the characters' dialogue is written so tightly that you can't help but believe they have no other choice but to forge ahead with their class driven decisions. anthony hopkins is completely believable as someone who thinks he's truly doing the right thing from first to last...
July 27, 2018
awesome character study
July 25, 2018
kind of long movie its ok
July 20, 2018
A masterpiece of classic story telling.
½ July 19, 2018
Work of art film, excellent acting, boring as hell
½ July 9, 2018
Reviewed 7.4.18 Lots of pomp, but lacking in circumstance. It's Jane Austen without the romanticism. Downton Abbey without the soap opera drama. As a Merchant-Ivory presentation, of course the production values are top-notch, along with the acting. But 144 minutes of overly privileged white people finding things to bitch about grows tiresome. Sure, I just described an entire sub-genre of period films. But at least most others have something substantial at their core, be it a war, or deep-seeded matters of the heart. Instead Howard's End is built around the frivolous importance of its eponymous namesake.

Samuel West as Leonard Bast, and Helena Bonham Carter as Helen Schlegel, add some juice to the staid proceedings. Yet they still feel underdeveloped, their lack of an in-depth back story is a missed opportunity. And lastly, if someones death is going to be the climax of a film, make sure its a dignified send off. In this case, it bordered on comical. I understand I'm going against the grain with this review. But just because it has quality individual parts, doesn't mean it equals a greater whole.
June 10, 2018
I don't like period movies that much, especially if the period in question is the turn-of-the-century in England, but I recently watched "The remains of the day" and I enjoyed it a lot, so I've decided to watch this other Merchant-Ivory's work. I can say I am pretty disappointed. It didn't involve me in the least. This is how I expect "Downton abbey", and that's the reason I am not watching it. The film start slow and boring, improves in the second half but not enough to save it. Maybe what I liked the most from "The remains of the day" was Hopkins, and in this movie there was not enough of him.
April 5, 2018
This film's narrative has a hard time getting its footing at first, but when it finally finds its pace it truly runs with it well making for an engaging film with fine performances from its cast. However, one cannot excuse how it recklessly hurdles past random melodramatic moments that ultimately go unanswered for later as to why they needed to have occurred. Nonetheless, it is still a marvel of the costume period drama genre despite its flaws and is one of Merchant-Ivory's best productions.
½ February 13, 2018
Look, Howards End is a competent, mildly intriguing Merchant Ivory production about the paranoia of the wealthy. Mostly though it's over 2 hours of proof as to why I don't and have no desire to watch Downton Abbey. Posh people have quietly regal discussions, a sudden outburst of drama temporarily disrupts the nobility, repeat.
½ August 19, 2017
I didn't think this E.M. Forster story could be so well adapted on screen.
½ July 16, 2017
Often a bit too obvious (I'm looking at you bookcase scene) but the cast is superb. I'm not sure if anyone either than Hopkins and Thompson could have played their perspective roles.
June 21, 2017
Allow me to keep this brief. Howards End is not my type of film. I don?t particularly care about Victorian family drama, or struggles between class systems in Edwardian England. There are some interesting things going on in the plot of this film, but they don?t result in any unique or special moments. It?s just family drama stacked on family drama. For me, watching Howards End was like watching a soap opera for more than 2 hours. While everything looks great, and the actors are great, I quickly lose interest. Even the biggest cause of tension in the plot, which is set up early in the film, never does anything until the tail end when it fizzles out with no consequence whatsoever. I didn?t dislike or hate Howards End, I just didn?t care about it, which some might argue is even worse.
April 27, 2017
The genre is art-house/drama/romance - meaning basically that it is not a film for everyone. In any event, I loved it. Performances by Emma Thompson, Helena Bonham Carter and Anthony Hopkins were stellar. Use of imagery and music to complement development of plot was masterful.
April 20, 2017
Messed up story about old British wealth movie. Wonderful score, great costumes, and absolutely beautiful cinematography of England countryside. Love old time piece movies-very fascinating setting. Anthony hopkins plays a perfectly insidious and rich evil head of household father who seems to have no feelings of sympathy towards anyone but himself and spoiled brat children. I was disappointed in Margaret staying with him and that awful self-serving and self-righteous family but I found the ending quite believable considering the time and irony afterall. That family was one of the worst families ever on screen and to me represented what was wrong with former elite British/French society and why they fell from power. The many twists and turns keep the movie from feeling slow even tho its a long one.
½ March 26, 2017
"Howards End" is an exceptional portrait of the English class system. Of all the movies based on Forster's novels, I'd bank on this one as the best.
January 19, 2017
"The poor are the poor, and one's sorry for them - but there it is."
½ January 14, 2017
An old English domestic drama unlike any other, this explores the dynamics of three separate classes, all matched together and pitted against each other in superbly acted and uniquely captured fashion.