Hudson Hawk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hudson Hawk Reviews

December 6, 2016
a fun and whimsical caper
November 12, 2016
Have watched this movie several times and enjoyed it every time. Not a stellar buddy movie, but it is fun to watch so many good actors having such a good time.
½ October 2, 2016
A humorous, against-type movie for Bruce Willis. Far too many remember him from Die Hard forgetting that he was a comedic star first in Moonlighting. This movie is a delightful blend of comedy and action. Some of the jokes are outdated today, but the humor still stands up for the most part.

It is unfortunate that people wanted an action movie instead of an off the wall comedy that follows its own rules and does so without apology.
August 15, 2016
Undoubtedly one of the funniest moveis of all time, and the peak of Bruce WIllis' career. In the spirit of Moonlighting
July 31, 2016
Snappy, quirky and endearing.... a funny and adventurous film that attempts to create a new genre.... A thoughtful and unusual plot, that moves on apace, weaving in a weird and wonderful cast.. No idea why this got panned, but perhaps it was just not what people wanted from Bruce Willis at this point in his career (Perhaps the same goes for Johnny Depp and Mortdecai???). This is a film I have watched again and again and is definitely in my top 10.
July 17, 2016
Probably the worst Bruce's film in main role I ever seen. Annoying too.
July 16, 2016
I suppose I'll have to break down and watch it someday
July 9, 2016
I'm not a slap stick humor kind of gal, but this held my interest and was quite entertaining in a cult following type of way! "Bunny ball ball" teeheehee!
March 6, 2016
Good , not great this one ...enough fun parts , also lots of rubisch of those idiot vilians . It has its good moments....SOMDVD
February 8, 2016
This movie is a fun ride. Many say it is not worth watching but I disagree. It is fun from the the time it starts and continues on. Crazy fun characters all around.
December 6, 2015
I've read some of the good reviews of Hudson Hawk, and if those folks (many here on IMDb) found enjoyment out of it, that's your prerogative. But you can call it a surrealistic/absurdist/satirical masterpiece all you want; the question has to come down for every single person watching Hudson Hawk: is this FUNNY? Perhaps in those large capital letters you may think so. I didn't find any of this BS funny. Hudson Hawk isn't surreal, and it wouldn't know surreal if it came and bit it in the dick with a toothbrush attached to a giraffe on fire. It's a movie made by clever people (no, really, they are, the guys made Heathers right before this, Michael Lehmann and Daniel Waters) that shreds genuine cleverness for self-satisfied smugness. This film is so satisfied with itself, but it never lets the audience see something just remotely close to reality so that the absurdity can find a foothold.

I knew of this movie just by reputation - it was a bomb so notorious in its time it almost (just almost) made the previous year's Bonfire of the Vanities (also, coincidentally, with Bruce Willis) not seem so bad. It's a movie that cost upwards of 45 million dollars - at a time when that sort of thing wasn't done - and the movie is and isn't there at the same time. Sure, you have a super-star like Bruce Willis (and other names like Danny Aiello and Andie McDowell and, uh, Richard E Grant and Sandra Bernhard and James Coburn, people who may not have cost much but they're there I guess). Sure, you have locations in New York city and Rome, so there's a lot of action and fancy locations. And sure, there's... what else is there?

I'm sure the actors were game for this, but the script is one of the biggest piles of dog crap I have ever encountered in all of my years of watching movies. Every other line has to be a joke, or some witty/smugly clever line. But it's not, it's stupid, it's lines that constantly, consistently, take the audience out of the movie (or it did for me). It's one thing to have a caper involving some sacred object from centuries past that multiple parties are after - right now I'm sure you can think of a number of movies right off the top of your head (Notorious and an Indiana Jones movie were ones for me). But here, it's completely artificial.

It's not that artificial can always be a death knell; filmmakers for decades have used a sort of heightened, stylized form of dialog for characters to be kind of cool and interesting - watch the Ocean's 11 movies and you see it done with actual style and sincerity, since a) it's actually funny lines being delivered, and b) the filmmakers know to give a few minutes to let the characters be sort of real people. Here, from right after a prologue showing the DaVinci whatever thing, when Hudson Hawk is leaving prison onward, it's an onslaught of snappy dialog that doesn't snap, and things like, oh, musical numbers (?!) set as Willis and Aiello pull off a cat burglary/heist and it's so, so bad.

This comes down to just being cartoonish; I almost wish it had been a cartoon, even an episode of f***ing Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, whatever, and at least there could be some context for some of the things that happens with the supporting characters. Not even Andie McDowell, who appears at first to be possibly the straight person to react to all of these who-cares-about-a-top-lets-go-to-outer-space actors, can resist making dolphin noises when under some hypnosis/paralyzing drug from the bad guys. And any thought of Willis showing just some restraint is thrown out the window (apparently Willis got in clashes with the director and kept putting in his ideas, and incidentally has a 'co-story' credit, goodness).

I'd tell you more about the story, but who cares, really? This is a movie where the writers and director think they've got a smash comedy on their hands - jokes about Nintendo and Cappuccino drinks abound, for example, and about stuff like the Vatican but it's so safe, even as it's an R-rated movie - but no arbitor of good taste seemed to be on the set while every actor made themselves into jerks. Sometimes for things to be funny, you have to play it STRAIGHT, to not make it like you're in on the joke, and that is the central problem with this movie.

There's actually one almost decent sequence, where Willis has to steal a sacred notebook from a Roman museum, and here there is very little dialog (there's no show-tune, thank god), and how Hawk goes about stealing this item and getting away shows a few good ideas that the filmmakers had. But, on the whole, I just felt bad for a number of people here (Aiello especially, and Grant as well after seeing him be hysterical in Withnail & I). For Willis... this seems about right for his career at the time. I just didn't find it funny, and even then it would be a mess.
November 5, 2015
Oh that movie ! You want an action film ? You'll be disappointed. Well, maybe not, or ... whatever...
This movie is a UFO. There is no message, no hard-boiled, no despair; it is just a huge amount of surrealistic scenes and crazy moments.
Yes, this movie is not serious but a great moment of laugh. Something you can watch easily, have a nice good laugh, and try again the next week.

Mostly all the moment are anthology, the robs while singing, the crappy jokes, the ambulance chase, the characters.

Do I need to mention that I really loved it ?

Considering it as bad, maybe you need to watch out and see the brighter side of life.
November 5, 2015
Absolutely love this movie! It's funny and cute. Obviously not meant to be realistic so don't try to calculate energy difference between lead and gold, but sit back and enjoy!
½ September 26, 2015
guilty cult film I liked, Bruce willis is wildly over the top and the film is the same. Fun villains and action set pieces, I understand the flaws and all that but I enjoyed this enough.
September 13, 2015
"Hudson Hawk" is the example of how NOT to make an action-comedy. It's uncomfortably over the top and isn't the least bit funny. This dud of a movie can only be remembered for how bad it is.
August 13, 2015
I found Hudson Hawk to be rather entertaining bruce willis and andie McDowell
were very entertaining together and liked the musical numbers with willis and Danny Aiello as well
½ August 8, 2015
More movies should take themselves less seriously like this movie does. This isn't a "film" it's a movie and a god damn good movie too. Oh yeah, Kit Kat is the fuckin man! This movie is one of a kind and that's to bad, it's also to bad that they couldn't find someone other than Sandra Bernhard for the female baddie.... she's one ugly bitch.... like a sasquatch in lady skin.
½ May 10, 2015
critically blasted and commercially flop I didn't think it was that bad
½ February 6, 2015
Lame spoof of spy thrillers.
½ January 16, 2015
I don't know why I like it, but I do. I don't expect anybody else to.