I Am Number Four - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Number Four Reviews

July 23, 2017
This was very good if you read the book. I guess it got bad reviews because half the people that watched it did not read the book!
July 19, 2017
So good!! Absolutely love this movie!!
½ July 8, 2017
Very slow start but ended with a bang. Great action scenes.
May 28, 2017
I think if JJ Abrams had won it would have been way better... I want to see the sequel just not a Bay sequel.
May 24, 2017
Terrible boring sci-fi movie with teens. This movie was so bad I already forgot it was about.
½ May 1, 2017
The book was great. In the movie, they took the whole premise of the movie and put it into a 30 second voice over. Removing the plot and unique story left plenty of time to tell the same underdog high school romance where the new guys wins over the football quarterback (seriously, does anyone play any other sports in Hollywood high?). Oh, throw in some bad guy aliens without an explanation of why they were at war and a lot of special effects to prevent dialogue and we have the latest teen flop.
½ April 11, 2017
I Am Number Four attempts to begin an epic sci-fi franchise for teens, but the derivative plot and unmemorable characters make this prospect doubtful. The hero is an alien named John Smith disguised on Earth as a teenage boy (is this a Smallville remake?) with his alien protector and father figure, Henri (Timothy Olyphant). They are forced to stay on the move in order to evade evil aliens called Mogadorians. They have killed the first three of John's counterparts, and John is the fourth, hence the film's title. There are five more of his kind, whom John and Henri must seek out in order to survive.

What follows is a passable yet forgettable sci-fi romp that has little to add to what has been done before. I Am Number Four hardly attempts to disguise the recycled story beats from classics in epic fantasy stories, treading in the footsteps of countless others. The film isn't without entertainment value however, as a character's small dog transforms into a gigantic beast and fights two equal opponents with hilarious results. The movie should have had more wackiness like that, instead of trying to reach for such lofty ambitions that just are not realistic.

5/10

(review originally posted on release, but has since been edited and improved by author on April 11, 2017)
½ April 5, 2017
Good action. Mary watched it to the end.
March 30, 2017
Enjoyed the movie..Shocked to see it rated so low
March 26, 2017
Awesome and different sory
March 18, 2017
This film is much too much like a remake of Superman. Alien with superpowers coming to him at teen age while being chased by other aliens. The same guys were behind Smallville and it shows. Smallville was well done and might as well watch that. The number four has good effects of course and at the beginning it looked like it was going to be original. The superpowers ruined the tension. It was not going to be subtil and smart.
March 18, 2017
March 15, 2017
This was a fantastic movie and I'm saddened to hear that there isn't a sequil made or planned?! This is frustrating and I'm left wanting more after the first film..... :(
January 23, 2017
A more exciting version of Twilight - in fact I prefer it!
December 13, 2016
Great movie. Love the action and romance. Hope they do more of them.
November 23, 2016
Not a bad film. Based on the book. Shame they are not intending to make the other sequels.
November 21, 2016
A YA film adaptation that was better left unmade.

9 alien inhabitants escaped from their home planet when their race was desecrated. Now only 9 remain, and these 9 have the ability to save their race. However, they're being hunted down. As they hide away on Earth under the protection of their guardians, they fight for their survival as they're hunted down in order. Three are dead, and Number Four is next.

This was a mess of a film with no real substance and an absolutely generic plot. Nothing in this film was memorable and it was just another below-average sci-fi flick. It's also sad because this movie had a fairly unique and intriguing story-line behind it, but it just fell way short on execution.

Don't even get me started on the acting in this film. The crew was made up of an Abercrombie & Fitch model (no offense but it's true), a one dimensional guardian (cheers Timothy Olyphant), an over-stylized "hot chick", and a simple love connection. The actors in this movie were pretty bad for the most part honestly. No one could bring even a hint of emotion or personality to their characters and I could've cared less about them. I can truly say this with confidence when I say that the performances in this movie were underwhelming, if not ridiculous as a whole.

The story and the pacing in this movie was horrid. Like I said earlier, this film is based on a pretty interesting novel and a fun concept, it just fell short of execution. Nothing in this movie popped out as extravagant or unique, and it was nothing that I hadn't seen before. The love romance and the whole purpose of the movie was so generic, with no real substance to back it up. It's okay to have generic plot lines, it really just comes down to execution in the end.

The dialogue along with that was horrid. The screenplay was pretty cringe worthy at times and it felt like they tried to push this movie out there quickly. Most directors/writers could've written a film like this in less than a week, so why give it any more attention than the writers did?

The action was fine. I mean, it was the only real thing keeping this movie afloat. The movie is essentially mindless, dumb entertainment, if you can somehow find this stuff entertaining. The movie doesn't look terrible but it doesn't look great either. The effects are lackluster and the film just ain't memorable.

In the end, "I Am Number Four" is a disappointing film that continued the trend of YA novel to film adaptations. If you're looking for a good YA film, this isn't the place to search.
November 1, 2016
Would love a finishing movie
October 16, 2016
This movie was actually pretty amazing despite the distorted twisted views of the crystal meth induced critics. Great plot with a lot of originality! Go see it!
October 6, 2016
This was such a shit movie, it's cut 80% of the material in the transition from book to movie, the plot literally jumped from points 3 months apart. I WANT A REMAKE!!!!!