I Am Number Four - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Number Four Reviews

November 23, 2016
Not a bad film. Based on the book. Shame they are not intending to make the other sequels.
November 21, 2016
A YA film adaptation that was better left unmade.

9 alien inhabitants escaped from their home planet when their race was desecrated. Now only 9 remain, and these 9 have the ability to save their race. However, they're being hunted down. As they hide away on Earth under the protection of their guardians, they fight for their survival as they're hunted down in order. Three are dead, and Number Four is next.

This was a mess of a film with no real substance and an absolutely generic plot. Nothing in this film was memorable and it was just another below-average sci-fi flick. It's also sad because this movie had a fairly unique and intriguing story-line behind it, but it just fell way short on execution.

Don't even get me started on the acting in this film. The crew was made up of an Abercrombie & Fitch model (no offense but it's true), a one dimensional guardian (cheers Timothy Olyphant), an over-stylized "hot chick", and a simple love connection. The actors in this movie were pretty bad for the most part honestly. No one could bring even a hint of emotion or personality to their characters and I could've cared less about them. I can truly say this with confidence when I say that the performances in this movie were underwhelming, if not ridiculous as a whole.

The story and the pacing in this movie was horrid. Like I said earlier, this film is based on a pretty interesting novel and a fun concept, it just fell short of execution. Nothing in this movie popped out as extravagant or unique, and it was nothing that I hadn't seen before. The love romance and the whole purpose of the movie was so generic, with no real substance to back it up. It's okay to have generic plot lines, it really just comes down to execution in the end.

The dialogue along with that was horrid. The screenplay was pretty cringe worthy at times and it felt like they tried to push this movie out there quickly. Most directors/writers could've written a film like this in less than a week, so why give it any more attention than the writers did?

The action was fine. I mean, it was the only real thing keeping this movie afloat. The movie is essentially mindless, dumb entertainment, if you can somehow find this stuff entertaining. The movie doesn't look terrible but it doesn't look great either. The effects are lackluster and the film just ain't memorable.

In the end, "I Am Number Four" is a disappointing film that continued the trend of YA novel to film adaptations. If you're looking for a good YA film, this isn't the place to search.
November 1, 2016
Would love a finishing movie
October 16, 2016
This movie was actually pretty amazing despite the distorted twisted views of the crystal meth induced critics. Great plot with a lot of originality! Go see it!
October 6, 2016
This was such a shit movie, it's cut 80% of the material in the transition from book to movie, the plot literally jumped from points 3 months apart. I WANT A REMAKE!!!!!
October 1, 2016
Really sorry i have seen parts of this so- called Sci fI movie, it Certainly doesn't come under CLASSIC SCI FI Horror, a movie to miss, and hopefully forget the only movie similar to that was a 1950small B movie the Blob starring Stevemqween which i found Absolutely Boring and a Waste of time,
I am number four , Not Exactly Ridley Scotts Alien, or Prometheus, i do hope Ridley Scott does A follow up to Prometheus which in my own opinion will be a movie to watch out for I'm interested in the old Classic Sci fi Horror movies, like the QuatamasExperiment, which was recently shown on BBC2
(I am number four ) Not exactly Halloween stuff, Michael calf London England
½ September 8, 2016
a total waste of time :-/
½ September 3, 2016
I love the movie, i love the book
August 14, 2016
This movie was betrayed I thought it was an amazing movie, but I am disappointed that they didn't make a sequel.
½ May 14, 2016
If I could rate this movie zero stars I would!
May 8, 2016
Geez the user raters are extreme. It's a YA sci fi movie, I think people are putting too much thought in it. The movie was great! I wish they would make a second.
May 7, 2016
I Am Number Four is a disappointing film. It is about aliens and their Guardians are hiding on Earth from intergalactic bounty hunters. Alex Pettyfer and Timothy Olyphant give terrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. D.J. Caruso did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
April 29, 2016
I wish they were continuing on with the series. The movie was great and book series is amazing
½ April 25, 2016
Very slow start but ended with a bang. Great action scenes.
April 24, 2016
An allright teen movie with great action.
March 27, 2016
If you have read the books then you probably will not like the film as much as the book. However this was different for me because I watched the film on Netflix and I thought the story of film was great and presented well. So after watching the film I decided to look the film up and I saw the negative reviews and I thought why everyone hated the film. Most the comments were linked to the book and how there were changes from the book. Since everyone compared the film to the book I decided to buy the book myself and I believe the film represents the book well although I understand why people have read the book gave this a low rating. I recommend you watch this because this got me interested into the books and I am onto the 6th book of the collection.
March 12, 2016
Passable, enjoyable enough, and much better than the negative buzz. It definitely suffers from a lot of the problems that young adult adaptations have but it's still a fun movie.
½ February 28, 2016
So, apparently (teenage) aliens walk among us, hunted by a second set of aliens for reasons that are never fully explained.

Such is the premise of 'I am Number Four', with the main protaganist as a teenager, who hides the secret that he is not really from this world and who is slowly discovering his powers (think Smallville!) in the small Ohio town of Paradise.

Very much a sci-fi movie for the Twilight crowd, this is unfortunately not really all that gripping or exciting - not one I'd be looking out for again.
½ February 20, 2016
I enjoyed this movie better than expected
February 9, 2016
ha, take that Stephenie Meyer this is jow you make a young adult book series work.