I Am Number Four - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Number Four Reviews

½ December 2, 2017
this is for sure a guilty pleasure movie for me. it is so bad in so many ways but i still love it. the best example is how high-school-y it is. cheesy high school drama and romances. so many parts made me laugh out loud unintentionally. and the acting was okay except for olyphant who beasted it. RAYLAN GIVENS. but i really love the idea, the premise, the powers. some great action and cool scenes. i really wish they continued with the franchise. this could have been amazing if done better. but i still see myself rewatching it (about 4 viewings)
November 30, 2017
So you think this is X Files with earth full of good & bad humanoid & other shape shifting alien creatures chasing each other to the death in the midst of us clueless humans. Well ....so what?
November 17, 2017
Did this movie even exist?
November 12, 2017
Your usual teen romcom - boy falls in love with girl, girl falls for boy, the boy turns out to be an intergalactic alien on the run
July 23, 2017
This was very good if you read the book. I guess it got bad reviews because half the people that watched it did not read the book!
July 19, 2017
So good!! Absolutely love this movie!!
½ July 8, 2017
Very slow start but ended with a bang. Great action scenes.
May 28, 2017
I think if JJ Abrams had won it would have been way better... I want to see the sequel just not a Bay sequel.
May 24, 2017
Terrible boring sci-fi movie with teens. This movie was so bad I already forgot it was about.
½ May 1, 2017
The book was great. In the movie, they took the whole premise of the movie and put it into a 30 second voice over. Removing the plot and unique story left plenty of time to tell the same underdog high school romance where the new guys wins over the football quarterback (seriously, does anyone play any other sports in Hollywood high?). Oh, throw in some bad guy aliens without an explanation of why they were at war and a lot of special effects to prevent dialogue and we have the latest teen flop.
½ April 11, 2017
I Am Number Four attempts to begin an epic sci-fi franchise for teens, but the derivative plot and unmemorable characters make this prospect doubtful. The hero is an alien named John Smith disguised on Earth as a teenage boy (is this a Smallville remake?) with his alien protector and father figure, Henri (Timothy Olyphant). They are forced to stay on the move in order to evade evil aliens called Mogadorians. They have killed the first three of John's counterparts, and John is the fourth, hence the film's title. There are five more of his kind, whom John and Henri must seek out in order to survive.

What follows is a passable yet forgettable sci-fi romp that has little to add to what has been done before. I Am Number Four hardly attempts to disguise the recycled story beats from classics in epic fantasy stories, treading in the footsteps of countless others. The film isn't without entertainment value however, as a character's small dog transforms into a gigantic beast and fights two equal opponents with hilarious results. The movie should have had more wackiness like that, instead of trying to reach for such lofty ambitions that just are not realistic.

5/10

(review originally posted on release, but has since been edited and improved by author on April 11, 2017)
½ April 5, 2017
Good action. Mary watched it to the end.
March 30, 2017
Enjoyed the movie..Shocked to see it rated so low
March 26, 2017
Awesome and different sory
March 18, 2017
This film is much too much like a remake of Superman. Alien with superpowers coming to him at teen age while being chased by other aliens. The same guys were behind Smallville and it shows. Smallville was well done and might as well watch that. The number four has good effects of course and at the beginning it looked like it was going to be original. The superpowers ruined the tension. It was not going to be subtil and smart.
March 18, 2017
March 15, 2017
This was a fantastic movie and I'm saddened to hear that there isn't a sequil made or planned?! This is frustrating and I'm left wanting more after the first film..... :(
January 23, 2017
A more exciting version of Twilight - in fact I prefer it!
December 13, 2016
Great movie. Love the action and romance. Hope they do more of them.
November 23, 2016
Not a bad film. Based on the book. Shame they are not intending to make the other sequels.