I Lost My Body Reviews

• 1d ago

As much as I liked Toy Story 4, this should've won Best Animated Picture. I appreciated how unique it was. The animation style is brilliant, the story is wonderfully told, and this just about nails every aspect of what makes a movie great.

• 3d ago

FANTASTIQUE / Visionary and deep, made with geniality, bringing meanings that go beyond the images themselves, J'ai perdu mon corps is already amongst the greatest movies of all time. Jérémy Clapin incredibly manages to capture the essence of Guillaume Laurant's book, recreating step by step the essences and the ferocity of the opera, giving life to a new one for the world of cinema. Full of heart, full of master-narrative and with the pure art of the real animation movies, this picture is one of the best movie ever conceived. Fantastique.

• 5d ago

animation of hand adventure: awesome. story of creepy stalker loser failing at everything and whining about life until he chops off hand: fucking weak, man.

• 5d ago

Wow wow wow!! I never thought a hand's point of view can be done so beautifully. Brilliant perspective and tempo throughout the whole film!

• 6d ago

Spectacular!!! I loved it a lot!

Spectacular!!! I loved it a lot!

• Feb 13, 2020

Literally disembodied would mean a poetic purpose without much sense except for the brilliantly animated expressive artistic license that goes over a slice of life in a way. (B)

• Feb 13, 2020

While the set-up of the story is quite fantastical and opens the door to some crazy and creative sequences the animation is realistic in design, colour palette and lighting, fitting the grounded story and ramping up the style for the higher energy moments adding to the expressiveness of the image without being visually jarring. The music is emotional without stepping too far into the realm of unnecessary melancholy. The grounded design, seamlessly integrated music, and the surprisingly low-key story all exemplify a mature restraint. Clearly demonstrating Clapin's keen sense for ‘less is more', which proves to be one of the film's greatest strengths. The film never loses sight of the very real story it is trying to tell. At its thematic core the film is about a young man, paralysed in life by his obsession for the past. Manifesting in both nostalgia and guilt he feels doomed to this fate and trapped in his circumstance. Resigned to the pain he believes himself destined to endure in isolation he longs for the release of nothingness. In order to defy his fate and escape the shackles of his past he must find genuine connections and discover the power in taking action to create his own destiny. These ideas are skillfully woven through the film with the use of flashbacks, dialogue and the journey of the severed hand, that which can both hold on to the past and reach out to grab control of the future. One of the more interesting ways the film builds on Naufel's connection to the past and our empathy for him is through the very rich and textured sound design, we feel the strength of the sound when Naufel reminisces about the past and later in the film when the score drops out of the sound mix and the soft whir of the wind floats above the noise we share in the audible comfort with Naufel. The film is at times slow paced, it relies heavily on flashbacks and there is a lack of repercussions for the wrongs of the antagonistic characters. However, the slower pace while it may seem meandering at first reveals its purpose as it allows more space for contemplation on the deeply relatable themes, the heavy focus on flashbacks reflects our protagonist's obsession with the past and the lack of consequence adds more believability to the story. The premise and presentation of the film will likely not fit everyone's tastes and a couple smaller story points are left unresolved. But overall the films artistic use of story, visual and audio make this work stand out as it takes full advantage of these three key components of cinematic language culminating in a beautifully emotional and intellectual film.

• Feb 11, 2020

That's what happens when a unique idea meets a perfect-style animation! Absolute must see!

• Feb 10, 2020

A confusing story with long flashbacks that makes us forget what the movie is about.

• Feb 09, 2020

Beautiful, surreal French-language animation for adults which parallels a young man's search for a young woman in Paris with the journey of a severed hand across the same city to be reunited with its owner. It's ultimately almost a fairy-tale in tone, but it's also a film that seeks to look into the ordinary and every day with new eyes. If it never quite reaches the heights for which it aims, it still reminds me of one my favourite books (Jon McGregor's 'If Nobody Speaks Of Remarkable Things) in its capacity to find beauty in the urban everyday. There is ugliness and violence too, but you're left feeling the vibrations of beauty all around you.