I, Madman Reviews

• Oct 26, 2019

Definitely an interesting plot. Unlike most audience reviews, I thought Jenny Wright's portrayal of main character Virginia, was not very good. To me, she was really terrible. Also the scripted is pretty bad. Some of that could be do to the Comet channel editing n splicing n dicing scenes. Like when the Madman confronted her at the police station. She never mentions the incident. I understand it is a "low budget" slasher film but overall it doesn't look and appear to be low budget quality from scenes, props and filming. What comes off as low budget is Jenny Wright's acting and the poor script. Improve those two things and it could have been a lot more successful than it was n is. Overall I, Madman is entertaining but disappoints with Jenny Wright's acting. Yes, she was nominated for a Saturn award for best female actress in a sci-fi, fantasy, horror genre but there was such a lack of films 1989 was combined with 1990 and had a total of nine nominees for the two year period when by then the standard was six nominees per year. It seems her nomination was more out of the lack of choices than her performance. She definitely didn't win. It is a shame that a movie with that much potential was ruined by bad writing n Jenny Wright's performance.

• Aug 22, 2018

This movie in creepy and exciting!!!

This movie in creepy and exciting!!!

• May 17, 2017

One of my all tome favorite horror films. Spooky and twisted with a really great performance from Jenny Wright. I just watched the blu ray and the effects are a bit dated but the errie feeling is still there strong as ever.

• Sep 07, 2016

This is truly one of the most frightening movies I've ever seen. I'm a horror junkie and have become rather jaded even with some of the higest rated releases, yet this one stands the test of time in my opinion. It's as scary now as it was when it hit the theatres in 1989. It's hard to find but worth the effort. It doesn't hurt that it stars Clayton Rohner, one of my favorite actors who is often underated and overlooked.

• Mar 01, 2016

Feels like an extra-long episode of Tales from the Crypt, but doesn't drag at all. If you like that sorta stuff, you'll love this. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this one before, should be a cult classic.

• Feb 28, 2016

Pretty cool little horror flick. Pretty fresh for the time. It was fun.

Pretty cool little horror flick. Pretty fresh for the time. It was fun.

• Nov 30, 2015

Superbly enjoyable cheesy horror flick that is equal parts ridiculous and fun. Great performances, a cool killer, and b movie special effects make this film as pulpy as the shock thriller novellas Jenny Wright reads throughout

• Oct 04, 2015

I, Madman is one of those low budget horror flicks that flew under the radar when first released, but has gained a nice cult following through the years. What makes the film stand out is the smart premise and willingness to try new things, even if they don't always work. It revolves around a woman who becomes obsessed with a forgotten pulp horror writer, and the more she reads his work, the more life begins to imitate art as events in the book begin happening all around her. It blends fantasy and reality quite well, which gives the film a great surreal quality. I, Madman has many influences...monster movies, slashers and even film noir. The script could've used a little work and there are some minor pacing issues, but overall this is a great, atmospheric horror flick that most people probably haven't seen, or even heard of. If you're in the mood for something a little different, definitely check this one out.

• Oct 24, 2014

An ok slasher flick from the dir of the gate.

An ok slasher flick from the dir of the gate.

• Sep 06, 2014

An entertaining late-80s slasher film with elements of the supernatural, I, Madman concerns a woman whose passion for horror novels takes a dark turn when the events she reads about in an obscure novel begin to occur in reality.