I, Robot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I, Robot Reviews

½ November 29, 2016
I, Robot is sloppy at times, but it's nevertheless a fun ride.
November 7, 2016
A flashy popcorn actioner that is pretty stunning and politically tense in the future/robot sense, but also dizzying, shallow and cliched.
November 3, 2016
An overload of sci-fi for me. Certainly not the blockbuster that some have said it to be. The storyline was not always coherent and did not interest me. Just boring. (First and only viewing - 9/21/2016)
½ October 21, 2016
Not as bad as people think it is, while not the most original. It is visually impressive and just downright fun to watch because of the actors.
October 2, 2016
this is one of my all time favorite movies it has a lot of action in the movie so I know this review is short but I literally have 0 flaws in this movie so I'm going to give this movie an A+
September 25, 2016
I enjoyed it and thats all that matters. Some scenes were a little ridiculous.
August 19, 2016
Gut gespielt, sehr gut durchdacht.
½ August 9, 2016
almost works as a not-so-bad-ass Terminator. starts off slow and stupid but brings some really cool action toward the end. Not bad.
½ August 8, 2016
I, Robot provides a fun mystery with a few predictable, but interesting, turns. The mystery aspect is clever enough to keep you guessing without frustrating you to the point of taking you out of the movie. You'll care about it right up until the point you realize that the movie is actually a summer blockbuster and your thinking cap should be put on the backburner while you're bombarded with one action scene after the next.

Outside of the movie's decent attempt at having a brain, I, Robot has a few other redeeming qualities that at least keep it in the neighborhood of a Folding Clothes Movie. Yes, Will Smith's solid performance is worth a mention, but ladies first. I have to show some love for Adrian Ricard playing the role of Granny. In her short-but-sweet time onscreen, she was every bit as entertaining and funny as Smith was. There's a special place in my heart for actors/actresses that can maximize their time, however long it may be and she certainly accomplished that mission.

Taking place in 2035 Chicago, I think director Alex Proyas does a solid job of giving us a glimpse into what our future could look like. Interactive holographic messages can converse with you based on a predetermined conversation. Vertical parking garages free up space on the ground for Americans to build more nonsense. Self-driving cars allow you to kick back and read a book during your drive home. These little touches give the film that extra sci-fi touch that helps add to its magic and intrigue.

And, yes, Will Smith did his thing as troubled detective Del Spooner. He has a certain charisma and energy that translates well onscreen. Not only is he funny (although over-the-top at times), but the emotion he is able to evoke provides for some pretty strong moments. There's one moment in particular where he's explaining how he came to have such a dislike for robots. This is a turning point for the viewer as you finally start to understand why Spooner seems to always have his guard up.

There are a few corny moments that take you out of the enjoyment of the film at times. I don't know if Smith just has an awkward body because he's tall, but some of the special effects sequences involving him seemed stiff and unbelievable. In one scene, you'll find him surfing over debris on a door. Let that sink in for a moment...I could stop there and you would probably get my point, but there's one more moment that really sticks out: There's a scene where Smith is in a tunnel being attacked by robots. After getting a little bit of breathing room, he picks up the biggest weapon he could find, turns to the robots, and yells at the top of his lungs, "Come on!" Cheddar. Mozarella. Gorganzola. Take your pick, it was cheesy.

I, Robot is the story of a man trying to get to the bottom of a murder that he is convinced was done by robots. What he discovers could end up being even worse than his original fears. It's a film that won't change your world, but is worth a watch for a good two hours of escape. I give it a 76.
July 29, 2016
suspensful, but funny
July 16, 2016
To protect Humanity, some humans must be sacrificed. That undeniable AI logic is very timely with what's going on recently where I love.
½ July 12, 2016
In 2035, intelligent robots fill public service positions throughout the world, operating under three rules to keep humans safe. Detective Spooner investigates an alleged suicide of U.S. Robotics founder Alfred Lanning, but he believes he has been killed by one of his robots. I, Robot is an interesting movie that makes the audience think throughout and try to solve the mysterious death, as well as whether the robot Spooner believes to be a killer, is actually one. Will Smith gives a good performance and I enjoyed watching it.
jamrcla
July 5, 2016
Good film enjoyed it good story and action, A little confusing with the whole 3 laws and working round them but entertaining and has some good twists that no one will see coming.
June 8, 2016
Exploring many resonant themes about racism, stereotyping, prejudice and slavery, I,Robot is still able to deliver fun action making it a very entertaining robot mystery thriller.

B+
June 7, 2016
This movie could have a lot of depth, but it failed as this movie only focused on CGI effects but not plot and story telling.
June 3, 2016
Though it can be predictable, I, Robot can be a dazzle full of effects that hold up today and Will Smith is as ever
½ May 23, 2016
I, Robot has a confusing plot, but in its defense it has Will Smith's presence, acceptable special effects, and some unforgettable factors in its characters and story.
May 16, 2016
As soon as robotic artificial intelligence gains the equivalence of certain human emotions then their function as purely docile harmless servants is thereby exhausted & they become competitors for human space.
½ May 14, 2016
A decent sci-fi action with a little mystery thrown in that has great special effects. It only shares the title in common with the Asimov book that they ignored.