The Ice Harvest Reviews

• Jul 08, 2020

Just an unclear, unfocused, mess of a movie despite the names involved. I don't know what else to say about this. It may have felt underwhelming if I saw it around the time it was released, but since I didn't hear of it until fifteen years after it's release I wasn't expecting much so how could it underwhelm? There's professionalism in it, there's craftsmanship, there's decent acting but... that's about it. 2 of 5

• Jun 29, 2020

Not sure why the negative reviews. This is fun low key what-else-can-go-wrong noir with great cast and fine performances. I really enjoyed it.

• Jun 27, 2020

Richard Russo is one of the best writers alive but he brought none of his wit to this terrible script.

• Dec 15, 2019

More alt fun. Definitely one of Cusacks better movies. I loved everyone in this movie. Sometimes formulaic but mostly formufun!

• Jun 18, 2019

The Ice Harvest is dark entertainment

The Ice Harvest is dark entertainment

• Nov 19, 2018

The plot line was there but the storytelling did not work.

The plot line was there but the storytelling did not work.

• Jan 06, 2018

I don't think that this was supposed to be a comedy. For me, I loved it as a crime, drama, thriller, mystery, etc. Then, it's a Christmas movie, to boot! A good one at that! I'm a huge fan of John Cusack, and love his dark movies, and this is one of them! This is one of my favorite movies, I want to buy it, and I'd watch it any time of the year! (But, obviously, it's really good for Christmas time! I never watched anything specific during the holidays (once I wasn't a little kid anymore) because I never had anything I liked. Now, at least for Christmas, I have tons! Especially my (probably) two favorites, which are this, and my favorite, The Night Before.) I lost my initial review, that wasn't even completed, thank god, because of a browser glitch. That happens to me way too much, whether it's the browser, or the site.

• Dec 24, 2017

This is a Christmas favorite of mine! Very offbeat, dark, funny, twisted, noir-ish, but so damn good! It's a movie I wish more people knew about.

• Nov 26, 2017

Forget Bad Santa (well, maybe not entirely) The Ice Harvest is my go-to dark comedy for the Christmas season. The late, great Harold Ramis directs the crap out of this one, really bringing the edgy as well as the funny and the final product is one of his best films in terms of maturity and hilarity. John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton playoff each other beautifully, just like they did in Pushing Tin and their onscreen chemistry has only gotten stronger. Also, as an added bonus, I hate Connie Nielsen with a passion but she failed to ruin this one for me.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Nov 14, 2017

Unfairly maligned. I think it's an effective noir . . . one that's more driven by bleak depression more than uproarious black comedy. This is just the perfect role for Cusack.