Imaginary Heroes Reviews

• Oct 24, 2018

Watch Ordinary People instead.

Watch Ordinary People instead.

• Oct 02, 2017

I love this movie so much. It has so many elements and shows a family burdened by the grief of a loved one and how it affects them all. Emile Hirsch and Sigourney Weaver both do stunning performances. I've watched this flick so many times.

• Jul 29, 2015

A movie in which it's a struggle to stay with and not really worth the effort.

A movie in which it's a struggle to stay with and not really worth the effort.

• May 26, 2015

A touching and sometimes darkly humorous portrait of a family trying to deal with the death of a child. As often happens in such cases, it almost tears the family apart, since all are attempting to deal with their grief by themselves. What allows this family to finally come together is the revelation of a secret truth, and that there is a great danger of losing the child they still have.

• Oct 27, 2014

How odd that critics rated this so low. It's been one of my favourite dramas for a long time. I love movies about family troubles and problems and this one delivers. I'd compare it to The Ice Storm and Igby goes Down. It has it's humorous points and it's dramatic points. Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Jul 20, 2014

Not exactly the happiest movie, it's a suburban drama along the lines of The Ice Storm or American Beauty combining dark humour with tragedy just not quite as well as those movies did. Still strong performances especially from Sigourney Weaver who gives a penetrating portrait as the mother of this dysfunctional clan as we follow year in the life of her family, left devastated by the suicide of the eldest son, a champion swimmer. Jeff Daniels is, wow, quite an asshole here. Very unlikeable and unredeemed by the end. He shows his pain by verbally striking out at his family. Emile Hirshe is young here but does a fantastic job and I really enjoyed the relationship he had with his mother. A decent movie about a family fighting to hold on and make sense of it all. 8/20/14

• Erin C Super Reviewer
    Oct 09, 2013

Not sure how I felt about this movie. Small twist at the end that proves things and people aren't always what they seem.

• May 01, 2013

The narrative at the beginning was so irritating. The acting was very impressive(-Emile Hirsch) and it was surprisingly non-American bullshit. Sigourney Weaver, an actress who usually drives me nuts, was very good

• Feb 06, 2013

This is a remarkable film and the entire cast delivers heart breaking and honest performances here. Dark family drama with a really great twist at the end. Some may find this drab or slow but it is far from it. A deeply layered film that I got a lot out of.

• Oct 09, 2012

Despite a sturdy cast, Imaginary Heroes isn't as good as it thinks it is - could have used a little levity to balance out the stories dolefulness...I'd recommend Spencer Susser's 'Hesher' who deals with a similar subject matter in a much more touching way.