In Secret - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Secret Reviews

June 18, 2017
This is a pretty good film that's still hard to like - from raw lust to love to a losing all morality for an unthinkable scheme that is toxic to love AND lust ... to things worse ... to a strangely romantic end.

And how sooty & dark was the industrial revolution in Europe before liberals & electric light.

Seeing Jessica Lange, once an ingenue able to drive King Kong up a building, now looking so scary - and not from the costuming & make-up - is pretty scary. What time does to even the most fetching of formerly young women.

Good. But good gracious. One needs to be in the mood for an initially sexy costume drama that twists toward darkness & drowns in doom.
½ October 4, 2016
A tale of tragic secret affair.

I never heard of it, but I found it accidentally and then decided to watch after learning it has a good cast. I mean not that they are the very popular ones right now in the Hollywood, maybe except Elizabeth Olsen, but awesomely played their roles. All the main four characters were very crucial throughout the narration. Like the title say, it was about a secret love affair between a young married woman and her handicapped husband's close friend. In between them, a mother of one of them played an important part in the story that brings a twist in the later part.

An affair means, going any extent to achieve what they want for the permanent basis. But not all the affairs, but in this one it gets darker while the story progresses. One thing I liked very much was the tale never intended to label any of its characters as a villain. That balance was so brilliant, but I did not know that, so I always expected something very bad to happen and then, except in one scene which changes the course of the rest of the film. The cinematic feel is there, but it was more like in the real life event.

No ones are evil and no ones are heroes, but everyone does all the good and bad things in their life and how serious those harmful acts, particularly how it destroys who are all involved in it was the film excellently told. It was based on the 150 years old French novel. It is also set in at the same time, I mean the 1860s, Paris. The recreation of the era was very good, but my only concern was the pace and the length of the film. Feels boring in some parts, other than that I got no issue with it. Having good actors with a decent direction, still it is like to belong in the B movie category. Though the overall effort from everyone was amazing and that's the reason you should watch it.

6.5/10
September 21, 2016
A very depressing movie. It shows that sometimes (or most of the times in real life) love isn't just enough...
July 5, 2016
Dramatic love story with an expected tragic ending.
June 4, 2016
Personally I thought it was brilliant film that has an obvious story line yet it's highly enjoyable and a quite formal film. The acting is great and there is nothing Patriciaularly wrong with the film.
June 1, 2016
Jessica Lange does her best Joan Crawford impression
April 26, 2016
I don't generally like period pieces, but this was very well done. Incredibly dark story of a little orphaned girl who is married off to her guardians sickly and dopey son. Elizabeth Olsen and tom Felton are both outstanding.
The sexual obsession between the girl and the family friend is compelling as you can just see it is going to turn bad and it sure does. Half way through, a plan is decided to dispose of the husband and then it's a fast unraveling for all involved from there.
At 1 half hours it doesn't wear out its welcome either, as this genre often seems to.
December 30, 2015
Beautifully acted and shot, just wish the story was more than trite cliche of a thousand movies before it.
December 19, 2015
Gorgeous to look at and a commendable acting effort from Elizabeth Olsen aside, this period melodrama about a young woman paying dearly for her pursuit for passion is all too TV-trite.
December 12, 2015
good costume drama my sister would have just loved full of secrets and adultry but the climax was lifted right out of 'a place in the sun' and a gender switch from female to male.
November 11, 2015
Elizabeth Olsen is a promising actor, admired her performance in Martha Marcy May Marlene in 2011 (which she was nominated and won numerous awards including Most Promising Performer at Chicago Film Critics Association), and she even managed to look convincing through her small role in Gareth Edward's version of Godzilla in 2014. In Charlie Stratton's erotic thriller In Secret, Olsen is joined by credible cast Jessica Lange, Oscar Isaac and Tom Felton. It tells the story of a young woman, Thérèse (Olsen) who lives in rural France with her overbearing aunt (Lange) and is forced into a dissatisfying marriage to her sickly cousin Camille (Felton). Suffering in her oppressive marriage, Thérèse soon embarks on a reckless and doomed affair with Camille's childhood friend, the suave Laurent (Isaac) who can give her everything Camille can't.
Though it has been done many a time, such a plot is always intriguing to me. The culminating pace of two secret lovers from their first forbidden moments of attraction and desire, right up to an insidious ploy of murder at the end. The main characters are convincing and draw strong chemistry. Olsen's portrayal is profuse in her yearning for sexual release. Then comes Isaac as the convincing free-spirited artist crackling with sexual electricity, perfect answer to her suffocating marriage. Lange is at her best, as usual. Her character shows us the extreme emotions she goes through, and so much can be felt even with just her darting eyes as she lies there after a stroke-induced paralysis towards the second half of the film.
My issue with the film is the pace. It was definitely rushed. Perhaps potentially a better fit for a mini-series, audience should get to feel Thérèse's sense of being trapped, to truly appreciate the desperation and push for her character to go into the heated and scandalous affair. That was clearly lacking to me. The story was soon hastened into her little secret rendezvous with Laurent, and I wished a little more time could've been spent there as well on teasing the audience with the danger and suspense the two characters had to go through in their clandestine meetings. It is after all an erotic thriller. It is an adequate effort, but is it scandalous, is it really provocative, not enough for me.
Director Charlie Stratton has been said to have failed in delivering the dark passion of its original story in the classic 1867 novel Thérèse Raquin. Critics will be rather harsh, considering that this is a highly acclaimed piece of work from Émile Zola who was nominated for Nobel Prize in Literature.
½ October 28, 2015
I thought from the trailer that this was going to be a very passionate
tale about a girl stuck with a horrific husband who falls for his best
friend and a murder is then committed and covered up but that we would still be rooting for the lovers. Now that was pretty much what it was about but i just expected a lot more passion than there actually was
and her husband wasn't horrific at all he was actually a really nice
guy who is very unwell. Now i did feel for Therese getting stuck with
marrying her sickly cousin but the outcome was undeserved and rather
sad but yeah i know that is the point and that is the reason the story
goes where it goes, however I definitely didn't end up rooting for the
lovers. They actually ended up really annoying me when their relationship turned so quickly. The film did manage to powerfully
support the saying 'be careful what you wish for' though. I won't lie,
i mostly just watched this for Oscar Isaac and yes he is good as usual
but also a bit bland as is Elizabeth Olson. Jessica Lange started off
well but she then started overacting just like she did during her last
stint on American Horror Story, Shirley Henderson was also very irritating. Definitely worth a watch though if you enjoy period dramas
but this probably won't be one that i revisit. I will however be reading the book at some point in the hope of finding the passion that i expected to be present.
½ October 8, 2015
CUNNING | DARK | TWISTED (82-out-of-100)
½ August 14, 2015
I didn't really find this film to be particularly impressive. It felt as if I'd seen it all before, and it was tedious in its predictability.

The cast was actually quite impressive, and the faults of the film did not lie in the acting. Tom Felton's transformation from snobby boy-wizard to a frail, naive Frenchman was captivating. Strikingly fraught with emotional tension, Elizabeth Olsen's performance made me reconsider my regard for her as just another hanger-on; riding on the wake of her sisters' childhood fame.

I don't regret the time I spent in this dark, Parisian world; however predictable the journey was, but mediocrity is not enough in today's cinematically saturated world.
July 8, 2015
Unconventional and somewhat engaging story. Acting is all round good, especially Olsen and Isaac. Great period feel and costumes.
July 7, 2015
why does Tom Felton constantly play a prick in whatever project he does? film was psychotic. very disappointed
½ July 5, 2015
Decent Little Tale Of Betrayal...
June 18, 2015
Complex, intense, dark story by Emile Zola. The main characters have an amazing depth even as a screenplay adaptation. No one writes like this anymore!
½ June 8, 2015
Extremely unlikeable characters and very slow paced movie. Jessica Lange gives an absolutely fantastic performance, but other than that the movie is just plain dull and depressing.
May 9, 2015