In the Mouth of Madness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Mouth of Madness Reviews

April 18, 2019
A pretty decent movie. Though I think that the effects may have been dated and a bit wonky back in 95, they certainly haven't aged that well. I also feel that the movie doesn't go far enough with the whole "What's reality?" question nor are the twists particularly astounding. John Carpenter has certainly done better with other movies.
Still, it's a nice movie into the Lovecraftian genre.
½ April 1, 2019
A plagiated poorly thought and executed version of basically half the stuff Lovecraft wrote. Ally that with references from The Exorcist, The Thing, Children of the Corn, The Omen, The Shining, Night of the Living Dead and every other original cult Horror book/movie written back then with Sam Neill's unconvincing and non-palpable performance and you have this garbage. I personally like J Carpenter but this is absolute uncreative thrash. 2 stars for referring and appreciation of Lovecraftian Mythos but thats all.
March 4, 2019
An exceptional film from beginning to end, a fanatic psychological horror fantasy that really nails you to the back of the screen, a true John carpenter classic.
½ November 1, 2018
Very good, love the theme. Had fun watching it and the very few jump scare aren't predictable so it was nice!
October 30, 2018
Perhaps not all of it's terrifying ideas are fully realized but then again a lot of that mystery is what makes the film so compelling. By the time Sam Neil is gazing into a dark void filled with Lovecraftian monsters coming to destroy the world I can't imagine why you'd need more explanation.
October 14, 2018
While I think it's fair to say John Carpenter owned the 1980s, the following decade wasn't as kind to the director. Thankfully he had one more masterpiece up his sleeve. In the Mouth of Madness was the perfect vehicle for Carpenter to mix his brilliant visual storytelling techniques with the ideas and themes of H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King. It revolves around the search for a missing horror writer whose work is so popular it starts to cause mass hysteria and insanity. I remember first seeing this in the VHS days and immediately falling in love with it. In the Mouth of Madness is so effective because it's a movie that demands you pay attention, but it's also just a terrifically entertaining horror flick. Part of its brilliance is the more you watch it, the more you notice how layered it is, and you start asking yourself questions that can only be answered by watching the movie again. Everything about it just gels so perfectly...the story, cinematography, music, editing, effects, locations, etc. Not to mention Sam Neill gives one of his best performances, playing a man whose life is slowly turned upside-down as he begins to questions everything about his reality. In the Mouth of Madness works on a bunch of different levels. But it remains one of Carpenter's best because it's a smart, scary, fun horror flick that's extremely well-written and directed. Highly recommended.
September 21, 2018
Screenplay by Lovecraft.
½ September 19, 2018
1982, The world ended at the hand of a hostile organism in "The Thing."

1987, The world ended at the hand of a cosmic horror beyond human comprehension in "Prince of Darkness."

Now, in 1995, our very reality ends at the hand of Lovecraftian entities that twist the very line between our world and the horrific fiction that a madman wrote for them.

John Carpenter truly is Horror's gift to cinema, his Apocalypse Trilogy is a veritable classic. Watch this film.
August 28, 2018
I honestly don't see how this film is hated? I love it! It has HP Lovecraftian elements! Sure it doesn't explain much but that's what HP Lovecraft is known for! Most of these negative reviews are about how little explanations are shown! But it's more fun thinking of your own explanations instead! This film deserves a Cult following! I highly recommend this film!
June 12, 2018
In to the Mouth of madness is heavily influenced by H P Lovecraft and a novel of his called, At the Mountain of Madness. Lovecraft, one of the fathers of psychological horror back in the 1920's. All modern horror is a derivative of this short stories and books. It should be no wonder that this horror god was influenced by Edger Allen Poe, who dies 51 years before Lovecraft was born. Along with H.P. Lovecraft the move has a light influence by Steven King who is mentioned in the movie. Along with having two amazing writers to depict a story on insanity the movie was directed by John Carpenter. The science fiction, horror genius accredited with directing the Thing and Prince of Darkness.
The movie In to The Mouth of Madness a movie from 1994 tells the story of John Trent played by Same Neal an insurance investigator who is hired to track down Sutter Cane (Jürgen Prochnow); a psychological horror writer who is said to be more famous then Steven King. Cane disappears after sending his publisher the first two chapters of his highly coveted last book. About a year before his disappearance he started believing that his books were real and that "they" are telling him what to write. John Trent and Linda Styles (Julie Carmen) Canes editor are sent to find Cane on what they believe is a real town in New Hampshire. What they come to find is that all of his hand-picked book art is a map to his demonic basis for his novels. On the road to find Hobbs End they enter a parallel universe where Sutter Cain is now God; they arrive to the haunting city where all of Sutter Canes creatures are coming to life. From there the boundaries or reality and fiction are blurred as Trent tried to find out what is fact and what is an inevitable nightmare. The movie truly captures the reader by Trent's skepticism, its stereotypical 90's bad makeup and truly enticing background story mixed with flashbacks. In to the Mouth of Madness is a true Lovecraftian and King classic that should be on everyone's horror watch list.
½ May 30, 2018
Even though I rate this movie the same as Prince of Darkness, I would say that I enjoy this movie more. Obviously neither can hold a candle to The Thing, but I would say this is the second best out of the "Apocalypse Trilogy". Honestly, the concept itself is so interesting that I would have preferred to see a tv series out of this than a movie. And really, the movie does feel like a tv special in a lot of places. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they did everything they wanted to do in this movie and there was nothing left to explore. But the whole thing has this goosebumps-for-adults feel to it that actually brings up a lot of nostalgia for me. I'm also a sucker for anything lovecraftian. Definitely would have liked to see this concept explored more deeply in a tv miniseries format, similar to Twin Peaks. But it is what it is and I would definitely say this is worth the watch for anyone interested in unique horror ideas and general mindfuckery.
January 19, 2018
Fans of Stephen King will get a kick out of this. A very promising premise that sadly loses steam but, still an entertaining horror flick for Halloween.
½ January 8, 2018
I probably have watched this film 4-5 times now and i will watch it again. This is no "slash and kill" or monster picture. This is a thinking persons picture. I think it's very well done. Like a Sutter Cane book, it invites you back.
December 6, 2017
Cheesy horror that didn't age well. May be it was scary in 1995, but its not anymore.
½ October 20, 2017
Good direction by veteran director John Carpenter, and some creepy imagery and atmosphere make this surreal psychological horror movie worth watching, though it's probably not for everyone.
October 15, 2017
Very underrated creepy flick. Great performance from Sam Neill
September 17, 2017
kind of a dumb film about a writer whos books come to life
September 2, 2017
By far the best Lovecraftian film I have seen so far.
April 22, 2017
MY FAVORITE HORROR FLICK! OMG THIS MOVIE IS SOOOO DOPE!!!
½ February 5, 2017