Insidious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Insidious Reviews

½ November 4, 2016
Scary ass movie loved it!!!
November 3, 2016
I could imagine different far superior versions of "Insidious" - an intelligent, well-written version where you actually care about the characters and their struggles and the plot twist doesn't seem so obvious and stupid, a serious, somber version where that explores the family's emotions (something we see glimpses of in that Daniel Tosh-looking motherfucker) and the scares/monsters are symbolic of something meaningful, an esoteric version that doesn't pander to the audience and delivers very chilling moments through it's atmosphere, or a humorous version that exhibits more of the shenanigans we see with the paranormal investigation team. James Wan, one of horror's most popular directors and, in my opinion, biggest prick, deprives "Insidious" of everything that makes a drama interesting and a horror film scary, which is a shame considering "Insidious" has a fairly interesting premise about a demon-occupied alternate dimension that is reached though astral projection. He could have made something super cool and creepy with that premise, but, unfortunately, "Insidous" is the equivalent James Wan jumping out from behind a corner over and over again and pointing at you while childishly laughing and yelling, "Haha, made you flinch!" That is, if jumping out from behind a corner made the same sound as hitting a piano with a sledgehammer. In conclusion, "Insidious" had the potential, but James Wan reduced another interesting idea to a worthless, obnoxious pile of jumpscares. If only Can Evrenol or Jennifer Kent could have gotten their hands on this material...
October 29, 2016
Dark, malevolent and admirably high on original ideas, Insidious invites horror lovers to a haunted house filled with frights, surprises and heartfelt determination.
October 21, 2016
Insidious is very, very popular among fans of modern-day horror. When I read a review that compared it to The Exorcist, I knew that I had to watch it. I was expecting something that would make me wet my pants and screw up my sleep cycle.

And now here I am, fairly disappointed, with dry underwear.
October 18, 2016
A legitimately spooky flick about transitioning back and forth between the "here and now" and "the further". If you like being scared, turn off the lights and suffer/enjoy!
October 18, 2016
one of the scariest movies I've ever seen
October 11, 2016
Thought it would be a lot better than it was, but still has some nice, tense moments.
October 3, 2016
In my opinion Insidious was a movie that constintally kept you on your feet and had a very horrifying ending.
October 2, 2016
Except for a cluncky, weird and questionable ending, "Insidious" is a very good demon movie, definitly one of the best since the 2000's. For a modest budget, James Wan really did a good job at delivering a lot of scares and compitent horror filmmaking. This movie also uses a lot of shadows and darkness, something that hasn't been seen in modern horror movies for a will. Anyways, spooky flick and recommended !!
September 12, 2016
September 10, 2016
I have seen all the classic horror movies including the exorcist the shining the conjuring and the list goes on and on. In terms of scariness this movie tops them all- sure it may not be as great as the others(it does come close though) this movie is the scariest movie I have seen. It scared me shitless gave me goosebumps and I had a great time watching it
½ September 8, 2016
Okay so I'm not going to lie, when I was eleven years old, (2012) the demon face popped up behind the husband character, and I screamed. (Shut up, I was eleven) What I truly love about this movie is it doesn't make any of the adult characters useless at any point in time or uninteresting. It manages to blend in great character development and damn good scares. A great and truly underrated movie in my opinion.
September 4, 2016
Insidious succeeds not only as a horror frachise, but as a film that should be taken seriously.
½ August 29, 2016
As is the curse of this sub genre the final third rarely delivers what the first two promise. Luckily the build up offers enough subtle chills to maintain interest and forgive the inevitable failings of the reveal. Clearly "influenced" by Poltergeist it is a shame that the remake of said film failed in all the areas Insidious worked. Not sure why they had Darth Maul as the bad guy though.
August 27, 2016
As of now, my favorite modern horror film.
August 23, 2016
So boring and then the film takes a complete turn into a fantasy land. Did not enjoy this.
½ August 11, 2016
Insidious Is An Effectively Scary Thriller That Offers More Than Just Cheap Jump-Scares and Thin Plot. At This Movies Core, It's Much More Heartfelt Than Most Films Are. The Superb Acting, Generally Unnerving Atmosphere, Beautiful Costume / Demon Design, and Story All Combine To Make A Horror Film Thats Above Most Modern Horror Fare.
9.2 / 10 Great Horror Film That Offers More Than Most Others, but Does Suffer From Some Chessy Moments.
½ August 11, 2016
"Insidious" has ONE freaky scene involving some good camerawork, the devil sharpening its claws and a bunch of toys hanging around scored with a freaky song. But, this is your average "horror"-flick so don't expect anything new or even that scary. The worst part is probably the most ineffective soundtrack ever in a horror movie, that also will annoy the hell out of you!
July 31, 2016
Intriguing premise and very well shot, with some "blink and you'll miss" moments which are worth a second or third viewing. However, the villain of the piece does let them down quite a bit being basically Darth Maul from Star Wars.
jamrcla
½ July 29, 2016
Good film just wasn't scary enough, More freaky than anything, It had a good plot just got too wierd at the end but it had a good twist to finish which i liked, Overall there are better horrors but at least Insidious tries something fresh.