Insidious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Insidious Reviews

September 17, 2017
Real good, until the end
September 12, 2017
Despite this being my fourth viewing of this film it is still an effective horror film thanks to its creepy imagery and tone, plentiful amount of scares, brilliant score while enriches both along with the atmosphere of the film while also having a solid plot. The cast is also good, I like the fact it is just as much about family as it is about what goes bump in the night and it has a good final act. I also like the camerawork and despite not being entirely original or having the best script it more than succeeds at being a horror film.
½ September 8, 2017
Much like 1982's "Poltergeist" - where a boy is equivalent to Heather O'Rourke's character (Carol Anne Freeling) and parents with more or less characteristics like Steve and Diane - the story itself is as original as it can possibly get from the family situations to the indistinct figures that disturb the living. The buildup takes some time, but its delivery is well worth the wait. If one part doesn't do the job to receive a scare, another part should do it.

The introduction is nicely set in with some classic creepy music that can seem cheesy, but affective for what you're about to watch. I could say I had a few scares myself watching it and one particular scene that really gave me the super ok this film was worth the price of admission.
½ August 29, 2017
Aside from some dull scenes and a nonsense third act, Insidious is a solid, interesting and all out terrifying horror entry.
½ August 27, 2017
Eschews the run of the mill jump scares. Concept is just different enough to keep you watching.
August 15, 2017
scary in some parts but the final is not so great.Intense atmosfere and fittting music it was a exprience and enjoied it though the hole movie
August 6, 2017
Finally got round to watching this recently.... it having been recommended by several people.

It's not bad all round...and definitely kept me watching. It has some creepy moments that made my hair stand on end, and a jump scare or 2 to keep you on your toes. Most of the creepy atmosphere is down to the clever use of sound and music and some crafty editing. Solid performances from the entire cast, resulting in a believable family unit placed in turmoil due to ghostly goings on. It does loose its way towards the end, and I was a little disappointed in the direction it took.

The main idea of the film, and the context in which the supernatural element is delivered, still remains unique, and for that I did enjoy it. I was just hoping for a little more substance in the final act, and the film lost its impact for me due to the "reveal" in the final half hour. It has obviously gained some notoriety due to a sequel out this week, and I hope the continuation of the story will shed some new light, and possibly redeem its predecessor...
August 5, 2017
One of the scariest films I have ever seen, Insidious relies on some of the most effective jumpscares ever put to screen and a plot that will get under your skin and images you will never forget. I think this movie is severely underrated and I would go as far to say as this is one of my favourite modern horrors. I won't spoil anything, apart from the facgt that you will jump a lot, get scared and scarred, and blown away with this fantastic horror film!
August 1, 2017
Insidious is scary but that's about it.
½ July 23, 2017
Perfect horror movie in my eyes. The ending scene gave me nightmares for a long time
July 17, 2017
Great scary movie that has a great plot! Easy to follow and does not go off the plot line just to scare you!
June 28, 2017
Started out promising and then unraveled into an absolute mess
May 29, 2017
A solid horror thrill ride. With a shocking twist ending
May 25, 2017
Insidious finds the writing/directing talents of Leigh Whannell and James Wan colliding to bring something really fresh and scary to the haunted house formula, building a gothic atmosphere with effective scares, chilling suspense, spooky imagery, evocative sound effects and surprising emotional heft.
May 17, 2017
Excellent horror flick. Genuinely scary with good performances and a truly disturbing monster.

8.0/10
½ April 7, 2017
Insidious is very, very popular among fans of modern-day horror. When I read a review that compared it to The Exorcist, I knew that I had to watch it. I was expecting something that would make me wet my pants and screw up my sleep cycle.

And now here I am, fairly disappointed, with dry underwear.
April 5, 2017
This was a truly creepy film at varying turns, but as a lot of reviews had hinted, it kinda shits the bed in the final reel a bit by finally showing you exactly what you've been getting small glimpses of for the first half of the film.

Under the cold light of day the reveals are a bit anti-climactic, leaving you thinking "Really?" because it isn't as unsettling as what has gone before.

Having said all that, the spooky bit *DO* hold up well with the revisits, and I would say that it's definitely worth a look for genre fans.
April 3, 2017
4 stars. A good horror film.
March 23, 2017
Oh god everything about it is a terrible bombardment of badly-done cliches.
½ March 1, 2017
Um poltegeist reformulado mas bem mais assustador. bem bacana ver algumas coisas que o diretor usa depois em seus outros filmes mais recentes.