Insidious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Insidious Reviews

½ July 23, 2017
Perfect horror movie in my eyes. The ending scene gave me nightmares for a long time
July 17, 2017
Great scary movie that has a great plot! Easy to follow and does not go off the plot line just to scare you!
June 28, 2017
Started out promising and then unraveled into an absolute mess
May 29, 2017
A solid horror thrill ride. With a shocking twist ending
May 25, 2017
Insidious finds the writing/directing talents of Leigh Whannell and James Wan colliding to bring something really fresh and scary to the haunted house formula, building a gothic atmosphere with effective scares, chilling suspense, spooky imagery, evocative sound effects and surprising emotional heft.
May 17, 2017
Excellent horror flick. Genuinely scary with good performances and a truly disturbing monster.

8.0/10
½ April 7, 2017
Insidious is very, very popular among fans of modern-day horror. When I read a review that compared it to The Exorcist, I knew that I had to watch it. I was expecting something that would make me wet my pants and screw up my sleep cycle.

And now here I am, fairly disappointed, with dry underwear.
April 5, 2017
This was a truly creepy film at varying turns, but as a lot of reviews had hinted, it kinda shits the bed in the final reel a bit by finally showing you exactly what you've been getting small glimpses of for the first half of the film.

Under the cold light of day the reveals are a bit anti-climactic, leaving you thinking "Really?" because it isn't as unsettling as what has gone before.

Having said all that, the spooky bit *DO* hold up well with the revisits, and I would say that it's definitely worth a look for genre fans.
April 3, 2017
4 stars. A good horror film.
March 23, 2017
Oh god everything about it is a terrible bombardment of badly-done cliches.
½ March 1, 2017
Um poltegeist reformulado mas bem mais assustador. bem bacana ver algumas coisas que o diretor usa depois em seus outros filmes mais recentes.
February 18, 2017
One of the scariest movies I've ever seen.
February 1, 2017
Very Scary, Very Creepy, and sure to keep you up at night!
January 22, 2017
Insidious is a very well directed horror film. James Wan proves himself again that he is the best horror movie director working today. The film is one of the scariest and a film that made me jump out of my seat in years. Oh and yes, this movie is filled with a lot of jump scares. For me, I do not enjoy jump scares that forces the audience to be scared. But in this film, the cheap jump scares are used very correctly and effectively. It knows when and how to use jump scares in certain amount of time and moment. The thing that this film is different than other horror films is that it avoids cliches and uses a ton of good and high quality jump scares. Overall, this film scared the hell out of me and got me in fear of shock by an ending twist.
January 18, 2017
One of my favorite horror movies in the last decade. The sequels are derivative and lazy, but this one was really something special.
December 30, 2016
One of the best horror movies I ever saw.
½ December 28, 2016
Very fun and scary rollercoaster made by the sick mind of James Wan.
½ December 27, 2016
Really bad. But kinda fun!
½ November 4, 2016
Scary ass movie loved it!!!
November 3, 2016
I could imagine different far superior versions of "Insidious" - an intelligent, well-written version where you actually care about the characters and their struggles and the plot twist doesn't seem so obvious and stupid, a serious, somber version where that explores the family's emotions (something we see glimpses of in that Daniel Tosh-looking motherfucker) and the scares/monsters are symbolic of something meaningful, an esoteric version that doesn't pander to the audience and delivers very chilling moments through it's atmosphere, or a humorous version that exhibits more of the shenanigans we see with the paranormal investigation team. James Wan, one of horror's most popular directors and, in my opinion, biggest prick, deprives "Insidious" of everything that makes a drama interesting and a horror film scary, which is a shame considering "Insidious" has a fairly interesting premise about a demon-occupied alternate dimension that is reached though astral projection. He could have made something super cool and creepy with that premise, but, unfortunately, "Insidous" is the equivalent James Wan jumping out from behind a corner over and over again and pointing at you while childishly laughing and yelling, "Haha, made you flinch!" That is, if jumping out from behind a corner made the same sound as hitting a piano with a sledgehammer. In conclusion, "Insidious" had the potential, but James Wan reduced another interesting idea to a worthless, obnoxious pile of jumpscares. If only Can Evrenol or Jennifer Kent could have gotten their hands on this material...