Insidious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Insidious Reviews

½ July 29, 2016
Good film just wasn't scary enough, More freaky than anything, It had a good plot just got too wierd at the end but it had a good twist to finish which i liked, Overall there are better horrors but at least Insidious tries something fresh.
July 27, 2016
awesome thriller!! can't wait to watch chapter 2
July 22, 2016
Although imperfect, "Insidious" is one of the best horror films to date, and is the prime reason that jump-started my love for horror movies.

To start out, James Wan is my favorite horror director to date. He is extremely smart, and he knows what real horror movies should be made of. He created an excellent script, and created a franchise that has given us three great movies. He knows what not to include in a horror story, and his movies often have an impact on its viewers after the film ends. He's a director I definitely admire, and I'm thankful that he gave us the "Insidious" movies.

What I really loved about this movie is that it is just downright scary. It's scary during the film, and the effect it has on you afterwards is daunting. Like I said, James Wan knows how to make quality scares, and he really shows his talent in this film.. There are plenty of quality jumps scares that actually contain something scary, and there are also plenty of disturbing moments. There are moments where our characters are looking at a dark corner, and it's obvious that they see something, but the audience is unable to see that. That is some of the most effective methods to scare your audience, and they really did that here. The movie also affects you after you're done watching it, as every little shadow and sound in your house will stop you from falling asleep.

I also loved the soundtrack in this movie, while simultaneously hating it. The soundtrack was used to perfection, and they were able to set the tone with their creepy, yet exciting soundtracks. They utilized the music, and the sounds really well in this movie, to a point where I used to get nightmares as a young kid just from hearing certain songs from the movie.

The story is also very interesting, and they do a great job of establishing a world where these demons and the further actually exist. It's really hard to create a believable world in the movie, but they pull it off here. When watching it, you really are interested in watching a second film, and it makes you want to learn more about this world.

There are also plenty of clever and creepy moments if you really watch the movie closely. By paying close attention frame by frame, you can always notice little stuff in every creek or corner, and it really makes the movie even more chilling. They are so subtle in their approach, and it's easy to miss some of the little hints that they drop in this movie. It really makes the viewing experience even more fun, because it feels like you constantly find more and more stuff every time.

The villain is also menacing, as you truly are scared of this demon from the other side. Actually, all of these demons do an insane job of wreaking torment on these people's lives, and the villains in this movie were top notch.

The acting was also fantastic, as Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, and Lin Shaye were all great leads. I love them all, as they really are the faces of the Insidious franchise.

In the end, "Insidious" really made my childhood for me, or broke it, however you want to see it. This is the film that gave me nightmares as a kid, and I've watched it about 15 times by now. It never gets old, and it consistently manages to scare the hell out of me. This is one of the smartest horror movies out there, and is truly one that I loved. It does have its problems, resorting to some cheesy moments at times, but overall, I loved the movie, and it'll get a very strong 4.5 stars from me.
½ July 21, 2016
I like this movie. I like how it incorporates astral projection. I am open to the idea of that, maybe? It's a cool idea that isn't normally explored in film. I feel like James Wan is a worthy horror director. Rose Byrn is great. I enjoyed listening to her play the piano too.
½ July 20, 2016
Starts off really good with these great suspenses and jump scares, but once that "other dimension" bullshit comes into play, the film becomes unrealistic and the ending was just... off and not well-developed. I don't know. It didn't felt like a proper way to end the film. For me, this film feels like a test that James Wan made before he did "The Conjuring." I believe he was testing the waters before he actually committed the work. In the end, "Insidious" might have some nice scares, but it's not enough to warrant itself as a good horror flick. just average, at best.
July 16, 2016
Very well directed and certainly one of the scariest movies I have seen in the past few years, this smart horror movie knows how to avoid the clichés and maintain a constant tension instead of going for the cheap scares - and it really knows how to scare the hell out of the viewers.
July 11, 2016
There's a brilliant no bullshit attitude with this movie (as well as James Wan's The Conjuring) There's good imagery and is a great crowd pleaser
July 11, 2016
James Wan once again makes another horror movie masterpiece with this outstanding Haunted house film. It is easily one of the best horror films in resent memory and has one of the scariest endings in horror movie history.
½ July 7, 2016
The rising action is flawless and genuinely scary. What's the problem with the second act? It's sort of inconclusive, but not entirely disappointing. A great film.
July 6, 2016
Insidious is scary, plain and simple. Wan's direction and editing in "Insidious" is so sharp and strong, he raises a relatively basic horror film beyond its natural conventions. The ending is especially cool, like a fantastic film-version of a walk through a haunted house. Old-fashioned terror that is super solid and uber creepy. (P.S. Screw you Tiny Tim and your whimsically terrifying music.)
June 29, 2016
I love this movie and the atmosphere that it creates it's just so perfect. But it needs to be on netflix
½ June 26, 2016
Insidious is very creepy, great performance, but the ending was tacky, and the creature wasn't scary no more.
½ June 25, 2016
A unique horror movie by the master mind James Wan it brings extremely terrifying scenes as if someone had mixed the shining and the exorcist into a film that gives a new death-defying risk to make a hell of a great movie.
June 24, 2016
I doesn't think it was too bad.. It got me sorting in the edge of my seat a couple of times... Not too many jumps, though. And some of the acting was a little poor. I liked the ending.
June 22, 2016
Great jump scares, creepy environment but simple storyline of Insidious, finally, make it achieve a remark better than other 2000's horror films.
½ June 20, 2016
One of the greatest teen horror flicks I've seen in a while.
June 17, 2016
Its Shit, only gets 1 star cause i cant give it 0
June 14, 2016
Great movie! It can get you paranoid at times. Very thrilling! Definitely see this one!
½ June 13, 2016
Insidious provides a horror film that manages to be both scary and entertaining at the same time, homaging genre classics while never forgeting to be its own, original movie.
½ June 11, 2016
One of my favourite horror films of all time! Seen so many times and still gives my chills