The Iron Mask Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Aug 03, 2018

One might imagine that those in the movie industries would welcome the changes that the new technologies, sound recording, would bring. Instead history teaches that most, well many, resisted it. In this film, Douglas Fairbanks' last silent, beyond the story is a touch of melancholy. "All for one, and one for all!", the particular anthem for this oft-told tale goes, but one senses that it doesn't simply refer to the Musketeers alone here. Fairbanks et al seem to be bidding 'goodbye' to a cherished friend as well, the silent movie. Our generations can only imagine the impact, the emotions embraced, for those living through those times with what we refer to now as antiquated technology, but for them ... And so this is kind of their wishing 'goodbye', in their own way. Silently.

• Jul 29, 2018

Good movie but the quality was pretty distracting. I loved how it made you feel every emotion from pain to glee. Although this may be a movie that I probably wouldn't watch again, it wasn't that bad.

• Jun 05, 2014

Normally I like silent films, but this one was just boring.

Normally I like silent films, but this one was just boring.

• Nov 30, 2011

Just not as exciting or innovative as Fairbanks' earlier swashbuckling feats

Just not as exciting or innovative as Fairbanks' earlier swashbuckling feats

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Nov 01, 2010

The Three Musketeer's last adventure together, and what an adventure! Don't miss it. This movie is fun, exciting, swash-buckling, and even humorous at times. I liked it.

• Oct 14, 2010

Give me Errol Flynn any day ahead of this.

Give me Errol Flynn any day ahead of this.

• Sep 22, 2010

One of the last silent movies and one of the first productions featuring spoken narration and sound effects. Those things were a little weird for me... but anyway, the film works and entertains thanks to Douglas Fairbanks' energy and exciting acts; once again he did what he knew best. He really was the king of Silent Hollywood. The story is fast paced, not boring at all. The Iron Mask is far from being one of Fairbanks' greatest works, however is well-worth a watch.

• Feb 11, 2009

Just couldn't get into it. I think I got a bad copy too: the B&W tones went from pink to blue and from orange to green repeatedly- very distracting. Okay, I finally finished the rest of it. I liked the ending. But I guess I'm just not that into silent films.

• Aug 03, 2008

Excellent silent adventure film, with the always energetic Douglas Fairbanks. Fast paced, fun, well filmed.