Ishtar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ishtar Reviews

October 14, 2016
HILARIOUS! I saw this the year it came out, and the entire audience was laughing all through the film. We all had a good time, and I have never understood the poor reviews.
½ September 21, 2016
A satisfying comedy/drama centered on the topic of men in mid-life crisis.
½ June 16, 2016
Makes "Spies Like Us" seem like "Lawrence of Arabia"
May 17, 2016
I know I'm jousting windmills here, but if your tastes are close to mine, watch this movie.
½ May 13, 2016
Hilarious! Listen to song lyrics, too!???
½ May 2, 2016
Legendary SHITfest. And yes, it is as bad as you think it is. Highlight: I saw Dylan Baker as an extra :D
½ October 29, 2015
I laughed once. I can't remember at what. And it wasn't a continuous peal of laughter, just one single solitary "Ha!" and I was back to the stony silence I remained in for the rest of the film's duration. I'll give it half a star for that. If it had 0 laughs, it would get no stars from me. Unless you want to sit throughout the most joyless and agonizing "comedies" ever made for fun or profit, you're better off not watching this movie.
September 13, 2015
an open letter to those of you who don't get it: this is one of the funniest, best made movies of the last century and will ultimately get its due in the way the princess bride and lebowski did. me and dustin think so and i'm going with us.
½ September 3, 2015
A lot of this is very funny, and the actors have great energy. There are lulls, to be sure, and a great deal of the political intrigue is murky at best, but I laughed a lot. Not a great film, but a hell of a lot better and far more entertaining than its reputation suggests.
½ July 21, 2015
A movie that is simply too painfully bad to watch. It was the first movie I walked out of a theater from and just the other day I attempted to watch it for the second time 28 years later. After 20 minutes of watching Hoffmann and Beatty belt out terrible songs I had to surrender again. This time I just shut the VHS recorder off.
July 19, 2015
Hoffman and Beatty crawling around ad-libbing in the desert is hilarious. People were very unfair to this film which, as a comedy about the Middle East, is more politically incorrect and necessary than every.
June 2, 2015
One of the funniest movies EVER. See it -- before you die.
May 24, 2015
The first 20 minutes are fantastic, the rest of it is just barely good enough. The bad buzz behind the movie has only helped it age like fine wine.
½ April 25, 2015
Thought it was hilarious
April 9, 2015
This was not as horrible as they make it out nor should it be a staple for everyones DVD player.
March 2, 2015
The impressive awefulness of the duo's songs belies the assiduous planning and meticulous practice that so obviously went into their creation. While this spectacle may have been less grating, perhaps even entertaining, in smaller doses, the star power behind it was clearly allowed to bully plot development in the battle for screen time in a rather absolutist sense. The result is disasterous.
February 23, 2015
funniest movie that I saw in 1987 it remained the definitive movie comedy commentary on the US in the middle east! Hilarious, Excellent performances by Beatty and Hoffman - did not recognize them at first because the characters were so well portrayed - suspension of disbelief. Bought the VHS and have watched it with friends a dozen times since 1987. A must see
½ December 1, 2014
Woof...woof!! What a dog of a movie.
September 30, 2014
The characters are weak, their awful singing is instantly tiresome, the adventure is tedious, the politics is outmoded, and idea that Warren Beatty is a sexual failure while Dustin Hoffman is a stallion is the stuff of inebriation.
½ September 24, 2014
Ishtar might never escape the shadow of its reputation. That's a shame, because there's a better -- albeit still flawed -- movie to see. It's largely the success that it is because of the Beatty/Hoffman pairing, which is outstanding in every scene they share. The rest of the movie is clunky to be sure, but it's far from even approaching the worst of the worst cinema has to offer.