Jerry and Tom Reviews

• Oct 08, 2019

A very subtle film directed carefully. Nothing especially special happens in the film but it's quality

• Jul 12, 2019

Stumbled onto this in Xfinity On Demand. Worth one watch for sure. Younger people won't care for it, unless you're maybe somehow involved in the film industry.

• Jan 01, 2015

The murder victim cameos were the best part... Danson and William Macy stole the screen until they died.

• Dec 22, 2014

A hidden indie gem that I'd never heard of, but was very entertained by. Even if it's a lesser-than Tarantino/Scorsese wannabe, it has charm and direction I dug, plus a great cast.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Jul 19, 2014

I think this movie, while not great, certainly blends Tarantino-style dialogue with Scorsese execution. In many ways this is like watching a more modest and smaller version of GoodFellas. Neither Jerry or Tom are really that far up on the mob ladder, they're really two-bit hitmen. The story is deceptively simple, Tom brings Jerry into their business. At first Jerry is apprehensive and nervous about doing a job. As time progresses, Jerry becomes a little too reckless and cocky for his own good, so Tom has to rein him in, to keep both Jerry and himself safe and out of trouble. Simple enough. Problem is the film feels more like a series of skits than a full-fledged narrative. Yes, Jerry does go through a change and his change from nervous rookie to ruthless killer is the thread that's holding all of this together, but it's not great. It's just barely a narrative. Thankfully, the dialogue, which feels like something out of a Tarantino movie, is very good and Sam Rockwell and Joe Mantegna have great chemistry together. That certainly makes the film's structure a little more tolerable and I do find the script really well-written, with plenty of clever lines, but I don't think that the movie is probably as fully realized as it could've been. I can imagine everybody raving after reading this script for the first time. Maybe not raving vociferously, but definitely feeling very positive about it. It doesn't come that way on screen unfortunately. I don't blame the script, I don't even blame the treatment itself, but it just didn't come together as well as it could've. Still this was a good, solid movie with great dialogue and good acting, these elements just don't come together to make a great film.

• Feb 22, 2014

Great script and cast make a rather different kind of mob hit man movie with lots of tongue in cheek. I'm not a fan of gangster movies, but this one was very entertaining and full of irony.

• Jan 21, 2013

Wholly overlooked black comedy about a veteran hitman showing the new guy the ropes, Jerry and Tom is an exercise in masterful dialogue directed by a newbie with vision. It may be too talky for some, but for the cinephile it's one of those rare treats that you find while snooping around netflix too long. Mantegna and Rockwell are a strangely charismatic team.

• Jan 12, 2013

This was terrible! The dialogue was awful and went nowhere and you never care for the characters at all. A very cheap Tarantino imitation indeed. On a positive note the sets and costumes looked cool.

• Stephen E Super Reviewer
    Dec 04, 2011

"Jerry and Tom" is a wholly unknown work of cohesive directorial vision, showing us independent cinema at its absolute best. The director, Saul Rubinek, exhibits a largely unexpected amount of talent. Scenes will transition from one setting to another without cutting a single time, blending perfectly together. It's utterly magnificent and will no doubt leave you in question. As for the acting, Mantegna and Rockwell are great and funny in their lead roles and the supporting cast is phenomenal as well. I only had a problem with the flashbacks, which I could've done without, but overall, I was pleasantly surprised. The mood was just right and most of the violence was kept off-screen. You got wonder why the best films are the ones that no ones ever heard of, but that's a good thing. Movie lovers tend to feel accomplished when they find a hidden gem. I know I do.

• Jeffrey M Super Reviewer
    Aug 12, 2011

Though often funny as a black comedy, with stylish direction and a great visual sense, it lacks a narrative and back story befitting of the actors involved. I loved both Sam Rockwell and Joe Mategna in it, but it was hard to relate to either of them with the unorthodox shifts in scenes and time, which did look good but sometimes gave the film an overall disjointed feel. Certainly unique enough to make it worth checking out.