Julie Reviews

• Feb 14, 2015

You're in danger, grave danger... Julie has recently remarried the man of her dreams after the tragic death of her husband. The man was a friend of the couple and is a successful business man that showers her with gifts and just about anything she asks for; unfortunately, she has a hard time getting over her previous husband's demise. When a friend shares some evidence her new husband may be responsible for her deceased husband's death...she starts going a little crazy. "He nearly killed us both; but he seemed so sorry, so desperately sorry." Andrew Stone, director of Song of Norway, Hi Diddle Diddle, The Last Voyage, The Great Waltz, Ring of Fire, The Steel Trap, and Say It in French, delivers Julie. The storyline for this picture is just okay and not overly dramatic. I felt the film was fairly average for the most part but turns slightly ridiculous towards the end. The acting was solid and the cast includes Doris Day, Jack Kelly, Ann Robinson, Louis Jourdan, Barry Sullivan, and Jack Kruschen. "I was in no mood for golf; after a few holes, I'd had it." I recorded this off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this past Halloween season and was excited to see a Doris Day picture. This, unfortunately, was very mediocre and could have been better. I thought the final plane sequence was good until she ultimately had to fly the plane (ridiculous). Overall, this is below average and not really worth your time. "I want to report a murder." Grade: C-

• Jul 10, 2012

This was an average movie. It was strangely put together as it began in the middle of the story. Doris Day fine but no different from any of her other roles, really. Louis Jourdan was definitely crazy, almost ridiculously so. It was a very predictable.

• Jun 29, 2012

good woman in danger/psycho husband thing

good woman in danger/psycho husband thing

• Apr 13, 2010

• Apr 13, 2010

57/100. Doris Day's husband reveals a disturbing secret and then begins to terrorize her. This is one of Doris Day's few films I did not think was good. This thriller is just too melodramatic and far fetched. It is occasionally suspenseful but usually it is predictable. Some good cinematography though. Day even gets a bit annoying at times, and her performance is a little too over the top. The title song and the writing were nominated for Academy Awards.

• Aug 18, 2009

Good movie, and Doris Day was excellent (she really was a good actress, not just a great singer) and for those who think Louis Jourdan always played the romantic and the suave, please check him out in this, he isn't suave in the least. He was a James Bond villian after all ;) So there ya go!

• May 15, 2008

A thriller Hitchcock-style that has my name

A thriller Hitchcock-style that has my name

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Feb 25, 2008

Completely overwrought, absurd meller. One of Doris' worst through no real fault of her own. It depends on how you look at it, if you're looking for a superior motion picture with a quality script and social value..forget this. However if what you seek it a lurid cinematic equivalent to clutching your pearls for ninety minutes and you need a good laugh...this will be right in your wheelhouse. Doris truly gives it all she's got maintaining a level of hysteria throughout which completely fits the tenor of the film.

• Dec 27, 2007

While the movie is tense, it's more like 3 different plots packed into one. Landing the plane at the end felt like a completely separate movie.

• Aug 19, 2007