Kaboom Reviews

• Sep 24, 2018

Mmh, as unsure about this one as I was before watching it.

Mmh, as unsure about this one as I was before watching it.

• Jun 05, 2016

I've watched most of Greg Araki's films, whether online, at school, or by accident. In university I was directed to several of his movies, for his wild and outrageous plot-lines, and desolate themes of helplessness. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I did enjoy the 90's drug escapade "Nowhere"(1997), which was a precursor to many well known stars of the early 2000 era. Araki leads viewers on a non-oriented vision of college life, complete with all the oddball events of his previous films, but ends up as a rather dull entry. For most of the movie the viewer is listening to our main character (known only as Smith), discuss the trials and tribulations of his young adult life. Bi-sexual, awkward, unfocused, and generally ignorant of other people around him, we are forced into his fantasies, absurd lifestyle, and unrealistic grip on reality. Sounds like fun right? Well, unfortunately you'd be wrong. The events that we witness unbearably forced, despite its unnatural and science-fiction theme. I felt most of the actors were just terribly strained and the unnatural dialogue between characters only draws attention to the situation. I think the actors were just terribly tedious in their delivery, and before long, I found there wasn't as single one that was believable. As with most drug riddled, and absurdist films, this movie has some interesting happenings. There is everything from serial killers to witchcraft here, and they certainly match Araki's usual plot-lines. Some are pretty amusing, and somewhat surreal, while others simply fall flat and actually take away from the enjoyment of the film. Several of them (if not most) have no significance to anything at all, and they leave you with the feeling that Araki is trying his hardest to stay relevant in his own way. I didn't mind the craziness, in fact, I was expecting it. However, by the end of the film, you find yourself more than confused (which is probably his goal in the first place). If you're a fan of Araki, you'll probably like this film very much. I didn't really think it had anything to offer besides that "WTF is happening" feeling he brings to movies. An irrelevant event with an abrupt ending. 2/5

• Jun 05, 2016

I've watched most of Greg Araki's films, weather online or by accident. In university I was directed to several of his movies, for his wild and outrageous plot-lines, and desolate themes of helplessness. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I did enjoy the 90's drug escapade "Nowhere"(1997), which was a precursor to many well known stars of the early 2000 era. Araki leads viewers on a non-oriented vision of college life, complete with all the oddball events of his previous films, but ends up as a rather dull entry. For most of the movie the viewer is listening to our main character (known only as Smith), discuss the trials and tribulations of his young adult life. Bi-sexual, awkward, unfocused, and generally ignorant of other people around him, we are forced into his fantasies, absurd lifestyle, and unrealistic grip on reality. Sounds like fun right? Well, unfortunately you'd be wrong. The events that we witness unbearably forced, despite its unnatural and science-fiction theme. I felt most of the actors were just terribly strained and the unnatural dialogue between characters only draws attention to the situation. I think the actors were just terribly tedious in their delivery, and before long, I found there wasn't as single one that was believable. As with most drug riddled, and absurdist films, this movie has some interesting happenings. There is everything from serial killers to witchcraft here, and they certainly match Araki's usual plot-lines. Some are pretty amusing, and somewhat surreal, while others simply fall flat and actually take away from the enjoyment of the film. Several of them (if not most) have no significance to anything at all, and they leave you with the feeling that Araki is trying his hardest to stay relevant in his own way. I didn't mind the craziness, in fact, I was expecting it. However, by the end of the film, you find yourself more than confused (which is probably his goal in the first place). If you're a fan of Araki, you'll probably like this film very much. I didn't really think it had anything to offer besides that "WTF is happening" feeling he brings to movies. An irrelevant event with an abrupt ending. 2/5

Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Jun 03, 2016

A little Un Chien, a little Donnie Darko, and a whole lot of Liquid Sky... Actually that sounds amazing. And Kaboom is not amazing. It's not worthless, but it's not as good as I'm making it seem. Realistically it's a weird, dumb and not particularly good film that still manages to be totally engaging. While I'm not gonna come straight out and tell everyone they will love Kaboom, I will go so far as to say it's probably worth you figuring out what you think of it for yourself. Even if you hate it, it's worth having that knowledge.

• Aug 01, 2015

A weird mix of sci-fi, horror, mystery, and sex comedy. Gregg Araki's Kaboom is a hyper-stylized and visually trippy film that is unsure of what it wants to be. It's wonderful to see a movie that revolves around gay, lesbian, bisexual characters, and I liked how it portrayed them not as stereotypical caricatures, but as fleshed-out, three-dimensional people. The first half of the film is delightfully quirky, it's full of energy and the jokes are often hilarious. But the story goes haywire in the second half and in the end, doesn't offer any solid, or comprehensible, conclusion. This is by far the weirdest and messiest film I've seen in quite some time. Kaboom is a bizarre film.

• Jun 18, 2015

A typical Gregg Araki movie that is full of camp, but the fun is wearing thin.

A typical Gregg Araki movie that is full of camp, but the fun is wearing thin.

• May 26, 2015

Kaboom is the weirdest thing I thought I would never see.

Kaboom is the weirdest thing I thought I would never see.

• May 15, 2015

This is essentially queer-tinted eye candy with poorly translated satire. But, the whole movie and its characters look great. The things is, you do need a bit of substance to make a film work.

• May 03, 2015

"What did I just watch?" That was the question on my mind throughout the film's length. While it was definitely creative and colorful, I am left wondering just what the fuck I just watched. Would I watch it again? No. Would I watch it when it's not four in the morning and I'm high off of all my cold medicine? Definitely not. Still so, I must give it props for it's wild creativity, dazzlingly usage of light and color, and just how open and free it was.

• Feb 08, 2015

A little underwhelming in terms of story, but Kaboom delivers. It's explosively imaginative, full of strange but nonetheless funny humor, it's immature, stylish, raunchy, and utterly fascinating.