Kissing on the Mouth Reviews

• Oct 23, 2011

A banal and mostly useless film

A banal and mostly useless film

• Sep 21, 2011

Well, you sometimes hear the phrase with pretentious art-house flicks 'The director was just jerking off.' This... just watch it.

• May 23, 2011

Kept waiting for it to get better because it had won Sundance awards. Don't hold your breath. Lots of disgusting close-ups of people I don't want to see doing things like shaving their pubes, eating cereal, masturbating, etc...The movie acting is ok and seems pretty natural, but not great by any means, especially at the end. I didn't like that you couldn't tell who is narrating when they had random clips. The ending is up in the air and I was waiting for the main actress to say something. Not what I expected, this movie is pretty boring considering the subject and it's rawness, somewhat cliche. I hated the directing more than anything, could've been much better.

• May 13, 2011

A nice experimental movie; Offers something to think about.

A nice experimental movie; Offers something to think about.

• Jan 23, 2010

honest effort. Another Joe Swanberg film, Nights and Weekends, is better.

honest effort. Another Joe Swanberg film, Nights and Weekends, is better.

• Aug 21, 2009

Much of it feels too class project-y, it's too pleased with its own comfort with nudity, and the whole thing is stuck in a self-centered worldview that always feels Important at that age, but will just seem silly in a few years' time...but damn if I didn't enjoy it anyway. It's true to the whole Midwestern ambience, and it certainly accurately captures that part of your life where all there is to do is eat, sleep, do laundry and ponder the meaning of love. Yes, it's silly to take such things so seriously, but it didn't always feel that way, and that's an important thing to remember. The performances are easily the reason to watch - each actor nails a naturalistic vibe without seeming amateurish. Not an easy feat.

• May 22, 2009

KISSING ON THE MOUTH is a wacky little romp about the ways human relationships, both platonic and sexual, fuck with our heads and make us do things that we may...probably...certainly...certainly...certainly will later come to regret. Small quibbles and quarrels can fester in our minds and squozz into full-blown paranoia. A slight sense of missing someone can stretch out into pure longing for what you can never have again. A need for just a little more money can cause one to neglect relationships to the point where they wither and die. O! What fools these fucktards be. If Greek and Roman gods could make movies, they would probably make mumblecore movies. The act of mumbling strips away the emotions connected to our most painful experiences so that we can expose humans for what we really are: Ridiculous. A mumble life is a life of folly, but a joyful folly. There is an inner joy within the mumblecore movement that is so wonderfully, beautifully fascinating to me. The films whisper to me, "Yes, our species may be an utter goof, but why can't we be an UPBEAT goof?" And the acceptance of being goofy...and going so far as to be comforted in that fact...is one of the most important things about participating in this crazy tilt-a-whirl called life. A good way to wash the taste of TERMINATOR SALVATION out of my brain.

• Mar 19, 2009

WEEKEND OF SWANBERG I'm giving this a higher rating than In Search of a Midnight Kiss because that was more of a crushing disappointment whereas this is just a bunch of kids (I can say that now) dicking around with the camera and trying to be real. That's not what they think they're doing, but essentially they're putting something "honest" on film and because it's so "honest", they're not thinking that it's less of a "film" and more of a "first act". There's an interesting treatise to be had on post-collegiate break-up trysts but this isn't it. It's there for its own sense of minority. How Swanberg got the lovely Kate Winterich to be so naked in both having on-screen sex and being comfortable with having on-screen sex is incredibly major. Slouching, tired, just in need of a break, this is a strong female character in search of a stronger feature. Swanberg #1 - good ideas. He's young. Unfocused. Clearly doing more with his time than I was. I was just trying to get girls to touch me. He was filming them engaged in unsimulated intercourse. I will draw attention to this because the sex is more natural than the already incredibly natural performance. Do I need to hang with this guy?

• Mar 04, 2009

hipster bullshit. but pretty funny (unintentionally)

hipster bullshit. but pretty funny (unintentionally)

• Oct 31, 2008

I don't know why I liked this slightly better than HANNAH TAKES THE STAIRS. It's actually more padded and boring, and less well-made. Maybe it's the full-frontal nudity and ejaculating boner... eh, no I think it's just the spirit of it feels a little purer and more interesting.