Reviews

• Oct 09, 2021

I thought this had potential as they laid out a good story from the Viet Nam war, and then they arrive on the mysterious island and Samuel Jackson just start s shooting at Kong, really? It was good overall and worth watching, in the end, to see how the story develops with a nice ending.

• Oct 08, 2021

One big CGI crapfest This movie sucks the creature designs are awful especially the skullcrawlers, characters are cardboard cut outs that no one cares about Samuel l Jackson and tom hiddelston carry this movies weight on their shoulders I must admit cinematography is incredible mainly the shots of Kong in front of the moon/ sun overall it is a hard pass for me even giving one star is being generous

• Sep 26, 2021

In the overall, either the original from Peter Jackson and this sequel offer an outstanding vissual effects show in which actors add interesting details and the script is enough to keep you entertained in the spaces between the orchestra beats the drums.

• Sep 14, 2021

Loved all the different monsters and the change of setting as the movie progressed. It kept things interesting and only stopped to breathe when necessary. Loads of CGI but its top tier work. Biggest complaint is Tom Hiddleson's performances was ordinary and unamazing. All the side characters stood out much more, even if they were just one dimensional.

• Sep 14, 2021

This Kong is pretty awesome although it's not better than the original of the 30s. 7/10

• Sep 04, 2021

Very good blockbuster, main characters awesome. I got exactly what I wanted from such a movie, if it wasn't for a bit boring 2nd part of the movie it would be 5/5 but it's still very good, I liked that Conrad and Mason didn't have any romance with each other during the movie

• Aug 24, 2021

It may look like a monster movie. It may look as a blockbuster, full of stars. Look twice. It earns with repeated viewings... under all the noise and CGI action, lies a satire/allegory on Vietnam war (that actually can be translated to any superpower going to remote places to secure resources). It is even brilliant at some points, with great directions, good acting, and superb VFX and set pieces. Not perfect, of course, but a must see for good cinephiles, if you ask me. Don't dismiss it.

• Aug 21, 2021

Kong Is disturbed on his home of Skull Island by some researchers along with their military escorts looking to discover the secrets of the lost island. This has an all star cast with Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson , Samuel L Jackson, John C Reilly, John Goodman and more. For a film as heavy handed on special effects as it has to be, they are nothing short of magnificent. The world created on this island is pretty impressive and this is a pretty great popcorn movie. Filled with action and adventure, it's a fantastic ride.

• Aug 19, 2021

Another solid outing in the MonsterVerse, Skull Island lives up to the bar set 3 years earlier by Godzilla and is another exciting and engaging kaiju film. Skull Island does a lot of stuff right that Godzilla also did: it has a story, a human-centric perspective and a good amount of build up to the conflict of the movie. This time, we get to the fighting a lot sooner than we did in Godzilla, but not so soon that the movie feels like it's entirely based on it, making this an improvement on Godzilla. The script and directing allow for the characters to be interesting and have some nice and funny dialogue, and also for the story of the movie to flow and develop nicely which helps to keep viewers invested in what's happening. The movie has some twists and turns along the way that spice things up and keep the movie interesting for both the viewers and characters, and does a nice job of tying the opening scene into the plot of the movie without it feeling too disruptive. Skull Island also does a great job of not squandering it's A-list cast, being actors such as Tom Hiddleston and John Goodman, by giving all the big characters plenty of dialogue and moments to shine a little bit. It also gives it's lesser known actors the same opportunities, something I appreciated. The big-monster fighting action is great and is just as good as it was in Godzilla, which works immensely to this film's benefit cause we get a bit more of it than we did in Godzilla. I like how Skull Island gives the humans more of an opportunity to fight and hurt the big monster antagonist of this film, since Godzilla did most of the work in the other movie, and it shows that humans aren't completely useless against these creatures and they can lend a helping hand. All that said, SI suffers from the same predictability that Godzilla did, and it's very easy to figure out, for the most part, what's going to happen. There isn't too much mystery in this movie and a lot of what goes on follows typical expectations. There's really only one curveball that the movie throws in, but other than that it all goes according to formula. The other issue I have with this movie is character stupidity. A lot of what goes wrong for the characters in this movie is because of their own actions, so most of what they go through is because of their own doing. To put it in broader terms, they create their own demons and pay the price for that severely. The fates many of the characters suffer is avoidable, unnecessary and founded in decisions based on emotion. Many of them do their best to get out of the situation that they're in, but are hampered by the actions of other characters. This is an area where this movie falters a bit from Godzilla. Despite these flaws, Skull Island is a great kaiju movie that hits the bar set by Godzilla in many ways and is another solid installment in the MonsterVerse.

• Aug 18, 2021

Honestly I hate King Kong. I can't stand seeing an ugly gorilla killing cool dinosaurs. Initially I had skipped this movie and directly watched Godzilla: King of the Monsters, but seeing how many references of this movie that movie had in the post credits and the fact that I needed to watch this to understand Godzilla vs Kong is why I watched this movie in the first place (I still haven't watched Godzilla vs Kong though lmao). This movie, however, wasn't that bad. In fact the CGI is pretty good. But that doesn't change the fact that an ugly gorilla is killing cool looking Skullcrawlers here, although I was satisfied that he could win only with the human help. Samuel Jackson plays the role of an annoying general who gets his comeuppance (which is the reason why I have given it such a good rating). He was so irritating. When he said he will kill all the Skullcrawlers after he kills Kong I felt like going in the screen and slapping him. Like, just one scene ago your entire squad got thrashed by only one Skullcrawler child and here you're dreaming of taking down every single one of them you zoophobe!? The movie takes place on an island in the 70's. Although Kong gets very less screen time and there is too much talking and exposition, it wasn't as bad as the Godzilla movies. The human characters were actually interesting. I liked the part where one of them dies when a giant spider steps on him and everyone thinks it's a tree. The professor who explains the entire context of the tribes worshipping Kong was also an interesting story. In the end they all manage to get away from the island and tell the world about what they saw. It was a good ending. If they had done something like saying why they were going to keep it a secret I'd have legit given it a 1 star rating. The CGI has been done very well. Although it features a number of cool creatures (the Skullcrawlers especially), it does not induce the same frantasy feeling that Godzilla movies do. It only makes it feel like giant creatures fighting in an island. It doesn't feel "legendary", like what you feel when you watch King of the Monsters' trailer. It just looks... Meh. Kong: Skull Island may not be some very extraordinary movie, but you do have to watch it if you want to watch Godzilla vs Kong. It's a bit annoying but makes it up with the colour palette. I really hope this is the last time I'm seeing the ugly gorilla. Because I am never going to re-watch this.