La Ley de Herodes (Herod's Law) Reviews

• Sep 12, 2014

This movie only can be trully understanded by mexicans.

This movie only can be trully understanded by mexicans.

• Jan 06, 2014

Whereas the film has a powerful and important message to relay, there is so much superfluous story that the message becomes diminished in the silliness.

• Aug 07, 2013

Herod's Law translates into "La Ley de Herodes" which is a proverb people say frequently in politics, meaning that you're forced to do something you don't want to, but you have to do it anyways for your own good. I came in expecting something simple and boring, but I was in for a fun mexican movie about cynicism and politics. This movie presents mexicans as lazy people and having lived here for most of my life I've become a bit lazy too so I'm just going to copy/paste the imdb synopsis: Mexico, 1949. The fable of a janitor turned Mayor on a little town lost in the Mexican desert, who gradually realizes how far his new acquainted power and corruption can get him. Similar to director Luis Estrada's previous work, "El Infierno", expect to see a satiric view on mexican politics, its pretty hilarious. It's not only what I now recognize as one of the greatest, but also an important film in Mexico for how it helped Mexican people vote for the other political party (PAN) instead of PRI, members of which had all been presidents since 1929. Here's some other information about it I got off imdb: The movie release was forbidden for several years. Since filming started, the Mexican government wasn't very happy about it; mainly because it showed a bad image of that administration. Filmmakers fought back. This reached the press so the movie had to be released to avoid rumors about political censorship and released it just before the 2000 presidential elections. I wish I had it seen it earlier, I now admire it as one of the best mexican movies ever made. I think its on par with movies like "Casino", not only for its great dark comedy and cinematography, but for its story about people living for themselves and ending up losing it all. It might be hard to find, but I couldn't recommend this and Luis Estrada's more recent work "El Infierno" any more. The acting and cinematography are also amazing. I'd recommend it to anyone who liked "Goodfellas", "Y Tu Mama Tambien", "Capitalism: A Love Story", "The Big Lebowski", "The Hangover", "Office Space", and "Bad Lieutenant".

• Jun 04, 2013

Las actuaciones y la dirección (sin contar el reto que costo)son de mi agardo. Luis Estrada bien.

• Apr 14, 2013

Not awesome, but the last 20 minutes or so just make the whole thing whortwhile.

• Nov 26, 2012

La ley de Herodes; si no chingas, te jodes!!!!! Latinoamerica en una linea....

La ley de Herodes; si no chingas, te jodes!!!!! Latinoamerica en una linea....

• Mar 25, 2012

Corruption, murder, poverty and power, is what you can see in this beautifully filmed movie, you will see polititians with new eyes, you may or you may not trust this, but sadly this is what happens when people have a lot of power. Although it occurs in the 40's, somehtings haven't change. This is a funny and realistic film you have to watch. Incredible.

• Mar 12, 2012

La volvi a ver y volvi a caer ante el encanto de esta radiografia de nuestros pueblos,explotados por los gobiernos corruptos, Damian Alcazar encabeza un reparto impecable, Excelente!

• Pierluigi P Super Reviewer
    Dec 25, 2011

Starts off with a funny, caustic humour, but the tone changes and wears off, drags, stretches in an unfunny, unsurprising second half. The idea was better than the outcome. Great leading performance.

• Dec 16, 2011

Wow, que buena pelicula, y que bien hecha les quedo. Lo siento por los politicos que les quede el saco, pero creo que desde entonses las cosas han estado mejorando en nuestro país.