La répétition (Replay) Reviews

• Sep 01, 2020

Strong performances by the leads; despair and codependency rule in the plot; Beart shines as she slingshots between emotional dependency and independence

• Jun 19, 2011

Nothing special in this French "Single White Female."

Nothing special in this French "Single White Female."

• Doctor S Super Reviewer
    Sep 27, 2010

Unsatisfying character study of two women who share an unhealthy relationship throughout the years. Pascale Bussieres is Louise, a periodontist, who is the more possessive and Emmanuelle Beart is Nathalie, a stage actress, who prefers a more open lifestyle. The depth of their intimacy is not clear until about midway through, and similarly much of the rest of their relationship lacks clarity for the viewer to get intricately involved. It doesn't help that Louise is manipulative and selfish, yet she's preferable to Nathalie's playwright boyfriend Matthias (Dani Levy) who redefines the epithet 'asshole.' I felt sorry for Nathalie caught between these negative influences, but then she too abruptly changes her behavior which left me wondering whether several scenes got accidentally left on the cutting-room floor? <br/><br/>The English title I have seen attached to this film is <i>Replay,</i> but actually 'La Repetition' means <i>Rehearsal</i> as Nathalie attends a series of rehearsals for a play by a big-name producer, much to the anger of Matthias. Is this a metaphor for her life, that she is doomed to repeat the same role with these malcontents until she summons the strength to find and accept her true nature? I believe that's giving writer/director Catherine Corsini too much credit by trying to do her work for her.

• Jun 17, 2010

(**): Thumbs Down Not really as erotic as one would hope it to be. Fair at best.

• Nov 20, 2009

Because of various reasons, I had to watch this film in three parts. I had only little interest on the characters and the plot never seems to go anywhere. Some, or many, scenes were also annoying because the characters were only walking in circles or something which is VERY uninteresting.

• Jun 24, 2009

amistades enfermizas las ha habido siempre

amistades enfermizas las ha habido siempre

• Feb 05, 2009

lesson to learn from this film: some people should remain burried in the past.

lesson to learn from this film: some people should remain burried in the past.

• Dec 17, 2008

beautiful, upsetting, tensed, crazy !!!

beautiful, upsetting, tensed, crazy !!!

• Sep 10, 2008

Dark, twisted, and sexy....film noir almost.

Dark, twisted, and sexy....film noir almost.

• Aug 19, 2008

otra d esas relaciones tormentosas y despiadadas... gran Pascale Bussieres en The five SeNSES