The Last Exorcism - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Exorcism Reviews

½ March 4, 2018
A good horror that delivers quite a few scares. If you're into possession movies, this should do the trick. The storyline isn't unique and doesn't try to break the mold; but if it ain't broke, why fix it? This movie knows what it does right and sticks to that. The acting is very good.
½ February 27, 2018
A great movie...brought down by the now standard horror ending. That is a complete lack of an ending.

We all know it, a cut right at the climax with no answers or closure of any kind given. It hurts this film greatly as it takes so long to get to that moment and then rushes head long into it.

I'd say I'm dissapointed in this film, there was a lot of potential that went no where.
September 6, 2017
Excellent cast. As this movie ages I hope it is appreciated more for what it is - a well made and very scary horror movie. Don't believe me? Watch it by yourself at night.
½ August 28, 2017
Although the "found footage" mockumentary movies have started to wear thin over the years, I wound up liking this one better than I thought. A little slow in spots at the beginning, this movie developed well and the ending was enough of a payoff to make this enjoyable.
½ August 17, 2017
The Last Exorcism is directed by Daniel Stamm, and it stars Patrick Fabian and Ashley Bell in a found-footage horror flick about a minister that gets a documentary film crew to film what he does whether it be sermons or dealing with exorcisms in the way that make it seem like they're faking it, and when he received a letter from a farmer that tells him to come over there and help his daughter as he thinks she's possessed by a demon, Reverend Cotton (Patrick Fabian) will try to help them in any way, even if he doesn't believe in people getting possessed by one. This is actually the most-watched horror film that I've seen, and I honestly don't know why I haven't reviewed it when watching the film so much. So when I rented this and my best friend's favorite film, I wanted to start with this so I can see why I watched The Last Exorcism so many times. The acting is really solid that I find Patrick Fabian convincing as a minister, which is interesting that this is the same actor who's in Better Call Saul right now, and Ashley Bell's complex performance that you aren't sure about whether she's possessed, or it's all in her head, which the main plot is pretty much resting on. I did find the characters memorable, especially the minister with his philosophy that is quite interesting, something you see from an actual documentary. Even if you don't agree with it, you understand his point of the situation, and the script by Huck Botko and Andrew Gurland is well done that I'm surprised this is their first horror film when writing bunches of comedy films, and it does get us interested in this. The scares in this really did get me, and it does get tense in some moments, which is interesting to see that from a director who only directed a thriller documentary. I thought that the reasoning of filming it makes sense, but there were some oddball moments where it's completely dark, the camera is filming the house, and no one is outside, which doesn't make sense and it can take you a bit out of the film. While most of the character are well-developed, the camera crews are very forgettable, and you honestly forget they they are even in the movie, and I wanted to know a bit more about the demon that supposedly possessed Ashley Bell's character. Now, let's talk about the ending, and I'm gonna try not to spoil it. This is one of those endings that people say that it ruined the film for them as they wanted to know about whether or not the demon is possessing her, and when we think it's going in this direction, it made a complete 180 and that's the result that we got, which killed the film for a lot of viewers. For me personally, I do think that it's a bad ending, but I don't think it killed the film for me. I just think that it would've gave a lot of opportunities that would make the film a lot of fun or memorable, but it was a wasted one that ended very brief, and we wanted answers about the aftermath, which the sequel didn't help for anyone, nor did anyone care to see it to find out. Now as for the mystery of it, I wasn't mad like a lot of people were, probably because I seen this movie so many times that I'm numbed to it, but I understand why they would get mad at the ending, and I do think it left a mark to the audience as one of the worst endings to a good movie. The Last Exorcism is an effectively creepy horror film that is the scariest film that Eli Roth has ever been involved in, and I wanted to see more of Daniel Stamm's films, even though there's not much of it.
August 5, 2017
This movie just doesn't deliver on "the goods." It is slow throughout the entire movie except for brief flickers of action which last for a couple of minutes and do not add to building up the suspense. The Blair Witch Project started out slow and slowly built up the suspense, keeping you enthralled through the end. The Last Exorcism is just up to snuff by comparison.
½ July 14, 2017
There were some decent ideas but it basically left you wanting more.
March 23, 2017
Tense in places, I guess. Could have worked, but just didn't scare me.
March 18, 2017
It's genuinely creepy for a good chunk of the movie - the second act in particular boasts some chilling scenes and disturbing subtext. It isn't until the last few minutes that this movie takes the easy way out, ending exactly like every other found-footage movie that came before it.
½ February 27, 2017
B-

The only part that stood out for me in this low budget occasionally scary film was the WTF ending. The rest of the film gets kinda boring and long. But still worth buying or watching.
November 12, 2016
Ever since those three crazy kids went looking for the Blair Witch and never came back in 1999, found footage horror movies have been assaulting us on all sides. The number is downright staggering. And for every imitation, there are about 10 that are so bad, they're worthless. Not this one. It's concept and execution have been (ahem) done to death, but thanks to naturalistic performances from unknown actors, a commitment to maintaining a building atmosphere of mystery and dread, and a shocking, outta left field finale, this is an enjoyable diversion that you might not mind seeing a second time.
½ September 8, 2016
As far as exorcism movies go, "The Last Exorcism" is pretty good and compitent, even though it looks small compaired to other films with exorcisms like the good old "The Exorcist" (1973), or more recently " The Exorcism of Emily Rose" (2005). The script is alright, and it brings us some surprising spooky jumpscares. Altough, one shitty thing, is why did they add music into this flick, it's a found-footage movie, there ain't supposed to be music. Also, the filming techniques can be nauseing. But still a good movie. Recommended !!
September 3, 2016
A very fascinating film which although lacks your typical jump scares, has the the potential to creep you out.
August 11, 2016
Unique take on exorcism films. Does not come together in the end however, unraveling any tension or curiosity that does build up in the first three quarters.
½ May 8, 2016
I liked this film. Gave a different slant on the usual exorcism type movies and was a good watch.
May 5, 2016
The Last Exorcism is a good example of a horrible found-footage horror movie. The plot is trying to be original in some way but ultimately fails due to some blatantly noticeable cliches. There was nothing remotely chilling or scary about it. There was no tension what so ever. It was incredibly boring. And don't get me started on that awful, awful ending. It was like the writers said "Lets just have a bunch of characters get together for no explained reason, and perform some disturbing witchcraft stuff". I understand that in found-footage movies, some thing aren't fully explained, but that was just disappointing and lazy and this whole movie was a mess. The only redeeming quality is that it was well acted. That is the only reason it gets one star. Otherwise, it would have got half a star. A very poor excuse for a horror movie. The first and last exorcism, I hope.
½ April 10, 2016
I don't think I will ever watch this film again, but in the last thirty minutes, it pulls the story together beautifully! Good movie
March 27, 2016
I have to say that I was very disappointed by this movie. I thought I was going in for some good scares but left the theater with only like 3 good ones. The plot was really what I didn't like. The story had a good setup but the last 20 minutes of the movie really brought it down. There was also too much in-and-out action-terror. Plot gets a 2 put of 5. The acting was so-so. But this film had a low budget and had to hire no-name actors with little or no real acting experience. Acting gets a 3 out of 5. The dialogue was probably alright. There were a few funny parts but nothing you don't expect. Dialogue gets a 2 out of 5. And lastly, the special effects did a pretty good job considering the budget wasn't very high. Special effects get a 3 put of 5. Film was ok. The original exorcist wasuch better.
½ February 20, 2016
Occasionally creepy but disjointed blend of Kill List and Blair Witch which beats the latter but not the former.
½ February 16, 2016