The Last Exorcism - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Exorcism Reviews

March 23, 2017
Tense in places, I guess. Could have worked, but just didn't scare me.
March 18, 2017
It's genuinely creepy for a good chunk of the movie - the second act in particular boasts some chilling scenes and disturbing subtext. It isn't until the last few minutes that this movie takes the easy way out, ending exactly like every other found-footage movie that came before it.
½ February 27, 2017
B-

The only part that stood out for me in this low budget occasionally scary film was the WTF ending. The rest of the film gets kinda boring and long. But still worth buying or watching.
November 12, 2016
Ever since those three crazy kids went looking for the Blair Witch and never came back in 1999, found footage horror movies have been assaulting us on all sides. The number is downright staggering. And for every imitation, there are about 10 that are so bad, they're worthless. Not this one. It's concept and execution have been (ahem) done to death, but thanks to naturalistic performances from unknown actors, a commitment to maintaining a building atmosphere of mystery and dread, and a shocking, outta left field finale, this is an enjoyable diversion that you might not mind seeing a second time.
½ September 8, 2016
As far as exorcism movies go, "The Last Exorcism" is pretty good and compitent, even though it looks small compaired to other films with exorcisms like the good old "The Exorcist" (1973), or more recently " The Exorcism of Emily Rose" (2005). The script is alright, and it brings us some surprising spooky jumpscares. Altough, one shitty thing, is why did they add music into this flick, it's a found-footage movie, there ain't supposed to be music. Also, the filming techniques can be nauseing. But still a good movie. Recommended !!
September 3, 2016
A very fascinating film which although lacks your typical jump scares, has the the potential to creep you out.
August 11, 2016
Unique take on exorcism films. Does not come together in the end however, unraveling any tension or curiosity that does build up in the first three quarters.
½ May 8, 2016
I liked this film. Gave a different slant on the usual exorcism type movies and was a good watch.
May 5, 2016
The Last Exorcism is a good example of a horrible found-footage horror movie. The plot is trying to be original in some way but ultimately fails due to some blatantly noticeable cliches. There was nothing remotely chilling or scary about it. There was no tension what so ever. It was incredibly boring. And don't get me started on that awful, awful ending. It was like the writers said "Lets just have a bunch of characters get together for no explained reason, and perform some disturbing witchcraft stuff". I understand that in found-footage movies, some thing aren't fully explained, but that was just disappointing and lazy and this whole movie was a mess. The only redeeming quality is that it was well acted. That is the only reason it gets one star. Otherwise, it would have got half a star. A very poor excuse for a horror movie. The first and last exorcism, I hope.
½ April 10, 2016
I don't think I will ever watch this film again, but in the last thirty minutes, it pulls the story together beautifully! Good movie
March 27, 2016
I have to say that I was very disappointed by this movie. I thought I was going in for some good scares but left the theater with only like 3 good ones. The plot was really what I didn't like. The story had a good setup but the last 20 minutes of the movie really brought it down. There was also too much in-and-out action-terror. Plot gets a 2 put of 5. The acting was so-so. But this film had a low budget and had to hire no-name actors with little or no real acting experience. Acting gets a 3 out of 5. The dialogue was probably alright. There were a few funny parts but nothing you don't expect. Dialogue gets a 2 out of 5. And lastly, the special effects did a pretty good job considering the budget wasn't very high. Special effects get a 3 put of 5. Film was ok. The original exorcist wasuch better.
½ February 20, 2016
Occasionally creepy but disjointed blend of Kill List and Blair Witch which beats the latter but not the former.
½ February 16, 2016
I hated it. It sucked
February 13, 2016
do NOT care for this
jamrcla
January 28, 2016
Pointless film really, I didn't get scared once, Very disappointing, Having said that it was an old plot with a twist which was ok but nothing memorable.
December 26, 2015
I'm excited, can't wait to see her tormented so I can be afraid to sleep alone for a night or two. lol
December 22, 2015
The Last Exorcism is extremely stupid and laughably entertaining.
½ December 3, 2015
A competent mockumentary that employs a precise pacing to follow a charlatan Reverend who exploits people for money until he encounters more than he bargained for. Suffice to say that it grows really terrifying, but the editing is flawed like most productions of the kind.
December 2, 2015
The Last Exorcism is a good physcological horror movie, I didnt hold much hope for it but its better than expected for sure. Its fairly generical and doesnt pull up any trees but for what its worth its quite a disturbing watch which probably isnt for the feint hearted.
November 5, 2015
While the ending feels like a cop out, the rest of the film is satisfyingly eerie.