The Last Party Reviews

• Sep 19, 2010

Robert Downey jr hosted this interesting interview movie(by the way it's not at all a documentary.)about youth voting. He visits the Democratic convention and the Republican convention and does a good job being neutral. He interviews politicians and celebrities and regular people. He is charming and funny and very articulate. I like how he treats the people he interviews like buddies. His charm in this movie made me want to register to vote. All young Americans should see this movie even non RDJ fans. If this movie was on dvd more people would like it compared to Michael Moore stuff.

• May 27, 2010

flawed, fractured and frustrating--but ultimately worth a look for curiosity's sake if nothing else. you get the usual 'the sky is falling' rhetoric that you get every election year (and the sky hasn't fallen yet, nearly 20 years later). it's also a pretty good look at the MTV generation at its height, complete with all their earnest rebellion and gen. X daddy issues. although the hubris of the 'celebrity with a cause' part of this doc may irk some viewers, downey makes an entertaining and compelling host. it's as much a documentary about his own search for identity and mooring in a world afloat as it is about U.S. or global politics. 'the last party' is an interesting exercise and nice time capsule.

• May 22, 2010

an interesting look at politics and government through the eyes of various people- Rep. & Dem. & Others... yes this is the 1992 election being covered but just put into place the issues at present and you'll see not much if anything has changed. it is also a unique look at Robert Downey as young man, looking for his voice and trying to sort himself out- oddly enough it took about 10 yrs. to do so yet if anything, this film tells us change of some kind is possible and we must do what we can to better ourselves and the world around us... as lame as that may sound to some people.

• May 06, 2010

This film provides a lot of perspectives from a myriad of individuals, but there are no answers to be found, and this film will likely be enjoyable only to fans of Robert Downey, Jr., who is affable and funny most of the time. Unfortunately, this is probably better when viewed as a cultural artifact about the way we were than a political comment on where we are today.

• Aug 01, 2008