The Last Temptation of Christ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Temptation of Christ Reviews

May 13, 2016
One of the best movies of all time
April 4, 2016
A completely ridiculous film- every bit as ridiculous as you'd expect a film where Dafore plays Jesus to be. Bowie is Pontious Pilate and Keitel is Judas. It's an acid trip in a film, that's basically what I'm saying.

At almost three hours, it's a real epic but it's certainly tedious at times- there were at least two moments when I thought the movie was about to end and then it just... kept on going. It also jumps between fascinating highs and dull moments, leaving you feeling almost jet-lagged at times.

As a result of all of this, this one was never going to go beyond the realms of developing a cult following. However, there's more than enough for such a following to dig into- from brilliant, brooding, hallucinatory scenes to epic crescendos. Mix with that, the film's unfriendly portrayal of, well, just about everyone involved, and you'll see that it's easily the least-conventional Biblical interpretation that you are ever likely to find.

Honestly, this is kind of like 'Piss Christ' in movie form- I'll let you decide whether that makes it great or terrible.

It's a fascinating film but you may find yourself staying with it out of sheer curiosity and for its spectacle rather than because you're genuinely engaged and having a good time. A mixed bag but still everything that you'd want from a film where WILLEM DAFOE IS JESUS (that really is the most important thing, everyone).

WILLEM DAFOE IS JESUS.
February 12, 2016
A controversial look at the last few days of Jesus Christ.
February 8, 2016
Holy scriptures played out in a Scorsese 'mean streets' kind of fashion. Was waiting for Judas to pull out a gun and make Jesus start dancing the bullets. I got used to Defoe's Jesus, but found myself needing an explanation as to what the last bit was all about. Think i get it. I enjoyed it, 3 hours, and didnt get bored. I put this down to the dialogue almost being as engaging as they are in a typical Tarantino movie. That together with some interesting scenes, and biblical moments. Watched it fully aware of the Peter Gabriel soundtrack
½ December 13, 2015
This is well done but with obvious minor weaknesses.
½ November 10, 2015
Hmm is it a classic? Isn't it a classic? It's a tough one, I would say that it is...because it's controversial, it makes you think, and has a stellar cast. Now the only reason I decided to sit down and watch this one is because of the director, none other than Martin Scorsese. I was intrigued to know what a film he directed would be like that's not based on gangsters or New York (yes I know he did Kundun but i've not seen that, smart alecs). Now this biblical picture follows Jesus Christ (played by Willem Defoe) as he tries to bring peace and harmony to all he comes into contact with. At first he believes he's just a normal guy, until he begins to have visions and a series of strange feelings in his gut, which result in him writhing around on the floor in pain (tummy ache perhaps?). He starts to believe he may be the chosen one. With his right hand man Judas (the legendary Harvey Keitel) he rounds up his disciples and traverses the land, turning water into wine and making blind men see along the way. It took quite some watching it's a long one at 2 hours 45 minutes. There's a twist towards the end which sort of makes it worth sitting through, and makes you think about it after youv'e finished watching, a lot of 'what if's' and 'maybe it happened this way' scenarios are put to the fore. There's also a cameo by Bowie towards the end for any fans of the Thin White Duke. If you have a spare 3 hours to watch it, my tip would be to maybe have a nap for the first 2 and wake up for the last.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
My reaction to the Last Temptation of Christ is tepid compared to other reviewers. I will only comment on the acting and the vibe and nothing regarding religion. The acting was OK but none of the actors had "it". Did not find Harvey Keitel to give a bad performance. As whole the film has a very 80s vibe -- supernatural and exotic and showy. Overall, it is very much a film of its time and does not have the classic feeling of Raging Bull.
September 15, 2015
By far the greatest religious epic ever made, and one of the most incredible emotional experiences I've ever had...
September 12, 2015
My Favorite Martin Scorsese Film Is 1990's Goodfellas.
September 4, 2015
Pretty good film, it's Jesus of Nazareth with a twist. A bit too long probably.
August 13, 2015
A difficult and controversial subject to interpret. This is a fair account of Jesus' later life from what is known and you take your own interpretation from it, which is mainly what religion is anyway.
July 8, 2015
While Defoe gives a great torturous performance of Christ the film is let done by the script's occasional contemporary bad dialogue and Keitel's gangster like Judas which doesn't work at all, you feel he's still in Goodfella gangster mode and doesn't convince as Judas at all. And I felt Mary Magdalene was again done a disservice as being portrayed as the prostitute and also hardly being in the film . The film mixes the gospels with fictional accounts of Jesus Christ life which did bore me I did like the conflict within himself is inner battle of being Man and (maybe) son of God. The film does drag and you lose interest but its Defoe's performance which holds it together.
July 5, 2015
An interesting look at Christ. Even for this atheist.
½ June 6, 2015
An interesting and well acted film that looks deep into the human side of the Son of God.
½ April 18, 2015
I'm an atheist who has a soft spot for religious movies. The interpretation of Jesus here is very interesting. The film allows you to identify with him because his ideals are more human than angelic. William Dafoe does a brilliant job as a Jesus trying to come to terms with his destiny and who he is. The point of the film should be significant to both believers and non-believers. For believers it doesn't change the New Testament, instead it adds more depth to the historical figure by filling in the blanks with events and personal conflicts that help illustrate the beauty and virtue of the man. And for non-believers it's easy to see the film as fantasy and enjoy a more modernized version of the greatest story ever told. All the conflicts in the movie are important with or without the existence of God.
April 6, 2015
I think it's a really well done film in every way, but a great deal of its impact has to come from believing Jesus was the son of God. Without that belief, it feels hollow as a story on humanity.
April 2, 2015
La calificación lo dice todo.
½ April 1, 2015
I'm not gonna lie I just watched this, because I heard that Jesus fucked a hooker in this movie. Yeah and that's it, the rest is completely boring. +1/2 star for pissing of christian fundamentalists.