The Last Temptation of Christ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Temptation of Christ Reviews

½ July 4, 2017
So well acted, wonderfully scored and being emotionally and thematically deep and spiritual, The Last Temptation of Christ is one of the best religious films ever made and one of Scorsese's finest films. The ending is out there, but very interesting, temptation is so well explored, this version of Jesus is phenomenal and there are a lot of scenes here that are unforgettable. The movie is also very engaging which is commendable given its long running time. A hugely underrated film.
½ May 29, 2017
While this certainly takes a fair amount of fictional liberties with the gospel scriptures (which may also be fictional), it does give us a somewhat human portrayal of Jesus. As thought provoking as that idea was, I still occasionally felt like the story didn't have a very good flow to it. I am not one to push a Jesus movie on anyone, but I would say that it is worth watching just to have an informed opinion on it.
½ May 21, 2017
Remember the controversy around this one when it came out as it goes through a sequence where Jesus marries Mary Magdelene instead of dying on the cross that includes a brief, but relatively tame, love-scene. A bit different from your ordinary life story of Jesus but I didn't find it offensive.
April 19, 2017
Obviously, the critics who are so enamored with this movie themselves became so wrapped up in the controversial subject matter (a mildly provocative piece of fiction having ZERO to do with the Gospels) that they ignored the fact that it's not a very good film. Flat, two-dimensional cinematography, awful sets, terrible dialogue, bad acting and unimaginative directing make "Last Temptation" a dull and overlong endurance test for any audience. I seriously think that Scorsese PAID for the religious controversy that swirled around this flick when it debuted, because the movie simply couldn't stand on its own artistic merit.
½ April 15, 2017
This film is based on a blasphemous 1955 novel of the same name. The story is pure fiction and is simply a story using the same characters of the Gospels.

There are some bad special effects (or none) in the production. Willem Dafoe does as good a job as he can in the lead role.

The story is intriguing regarding Jesus being tricked from the Cross by Satan. Upon realization of this lie, Jesus overcomes this "temptation" to ultimately fulfill his destiny and God's will.

This may be disturbing to watch for Christians, to see a depiction of Jesus in a lead role in a fictional twisting of the Passion and other Gospels.
½ April 13, 2017
I finally watched The Last Temptation for the first time. It was a waste of my time! I am glad I saw it for free and I certainly got what I paid for! William Defoe's acting was so poor, I am surprised he received any roles after The Last...! It is laughable the director was even nominated for an award!

While the preface stated The Last Temptation was a "fictional struggle," my response is "Keep struggling!"
½ April 12, 2017
Story about Jesus Christ from the Bible as a real everyday male with faults and vices. Not good. Really slow. One of Scorsese's worst movies.
½ April 6, 2017
An interesting, meditative, and well acted film that looks deep into the human side of the Son of God.
January 19, 2017
A fascinating and different exploration of the character of Jesus Christ. This is a brilliantly directed film that doesn't seek to be controversial, but rather to shed a different light on the life of the Lord.
December 13, 2016
Sluggish pacing in the first half is compensated for by powerful performances and a compelling human lens on the Messiah's life.
September 27, 2016
Martin Scorsese's oft-forgotten retelling of The Last Temptation of Christ presents the viewer with a psychological portrait of Jesus seldom seen in the average biblical epic.
Willem Dafoe plays the unlikely messiah tormented by voices and traditions in a tale that takes liberties with legend and fiction alike in favour of psychology.
Dafoe's Jesus is a tragi-hero of Shakespearean proportions and Scorsese's challenging, creative film is perhaps the only of its subgenre to ask the gut-punching question, 'what if it all went wrong?'
May 13, 2016
One of the best movies of all time
April 4, 2016
A completely ridiculous film- every bit as ridiculous as you'd expect a film where Dafore plays Jesus to be. Bowie is Pontious Pilate and Keitel is Judas. It's an acid trip in a film, that's basically what I'm saying.

At almost three hours, it's a real epic but it's certainly tedious at times- there were at least two moments when I thought the movie was about to end and then it just... kept on going. It also jumps between fascinating highs and dull moments, leaving you feeling almost jet-lagged at times.

As a result of all of this, this one was never going to go beyond the realms of developing a cult following. However, there's more than enough for such a following to dig into- from brilliant, brooding, hallucinatory scenes to epic crescendos. Mix with that, the film's unfriendly portrayal of, well, just about everyone involved, and you'll see that it's easily the least-conventional Biblical interpretation that you are ever likely to find.

Honestly, this is kind of like 'Piss Christ' in movie form- I'll let you decide whether that makes it great or terrible.

It's a fascinating film but you may find yourself staying with it out of sheer curiosity and for its spectacle rather than because you're genuinely engaged and having a good time. A mixed bag but still everything that you'd want from a film where WILLEM DAFOE IS JESUS (that really is the most important thing, everyone).

WILLEM DAFOE IS JESUS.
February 12, 2016
A controversial look at the last few days of Jesus Christ.
February 8, 2016
Holy scriptures played out in a Scorsese 'mean streets' kind of fashion. Was waiting for Judas to pull out a gun and make Jesus start dancing the bullets. I got used to Defoe's Jesus, but found myself needing an explanation as to what the last bit was all about. Think i get it. I enjoyed it, 3 hours, and didnt get bored. I put this down to the dialogue almost being as engaging as they are in a typical Tarantino movie. That together with some interesting scenes, and biblical moments. Watched it fully aware of the Peter Gabriel soundtrack
½ December 13, 2015
This is well done but with obvious minor weaknesses.
½ November 10, 2015
Hmm is it a classic? Isn't it a classic? It's a tough one, I would say that it is...because it's controversial, it makes you think, and has a stellar cast. Now the only reason I decided to sit down and watch this one is because of the director, none other than Martin Scorsese. I was intrigued to know what a film he directed would be like that's not based on gangsters or New York (yes I know he did Kundun but i've not seen that, smart alecs). Now this biblical picture follows Jesus Christ (played by Willem Defoe) as he tries to bring peace and harmony to all he comes into contact with. At first he believes he's just a normal guy, until he begins to have visions and a series of strange feelings in his gut, which result in him writhing around on the floor in pain (tummy ache perhaps?). He starts to believe he may be the chosen one. With his right hand man Judas (the legendary Harvey Keitel) he rounds up his disciples and traverses the land, turning water into wine and making blind men see along the way. It took quite some watching it's a long one at 2 hours 45 minutes. There's a twist towards the end which sort of makes it worth sitting through, and makes you think about it after youv'e finished watching, a lot of 'what if's' and 'maybe it happened this way' scenarios are put to the fore. There's also a cameo by Bowie towards the end for any fans of the Thin White Duke. If you have a spare 3 hours to watch it, my tip would be to maybe have a nap for the first 2 and wake up for the last.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
My reaction to the Last Temptation of Christ is tepid compared to other reviewers. I will only comment on the acting and the vibe and nothing regarding religion. The acting was OK but none of the actors had "it". Did not find Harvey Keitel to give a bad performance. As whole the film has a very 80s vibe -- supernatural and exotic and showy. Overall, it is very much a film of its time and does not have the classic feeling of Raging Bull.