The Last Winter Reviews

• 6d ago

A fascinating intermingling of environmental crisis and the myth––and Algernon Blackwood short story––of the terrible spirit of the northern wilderness, the Wendigo. From the Wikipedia article: "In some Indigenous communities, environmental destruction and insatiable greed are also seen as a manifestation of Wendigo psychosis." In this movie human greed for petroleum and indifference to resulting environmental destruction unleashes a terrible force that begins to spread across the land.

• Sep 21, 2020

I would like to meet the critics who defined this movie as the scariest of the year! I found it boring and I would definitely put it in the thriller/ drama movie not horror! This movie has nothing of horror movies! Don't waste your time!

• Dec 01, 2018

Sometimes confusing rant on global warming.

Sometimes confusing rant on global warming.

• Jul 12, 2018

Unbelievably bad. Supposed to be scary but just pathetically dull. The fake suspense was awful. So glad i rented from the library and didnt pay for this awful film.

• Mar 26, 2017

Wow, this movie was really bad. The plot was dumb, the acting was mediocre, the CGI antagonists were lame, and above all else the editing was some of the worst I've ever seen. The movie kept fading to black then abruptly cutting into a scene like it was a TV movie with the commercials cut out. I appreciate the environmental message, but this movie missed the mark on every level.

• Aug 24, 2016

Really amazing promise that just don't deliver at the end... Weird camera angles and pasting choices. Won't say anything about acting and really poor CGI effects.

• Jun 11, 2016

Okay, The Last Winter was definitely a creative, yet ambitious, project. Be this as it may, the screenplay did not correlate to the superb acting and directing the film had. All I can say is, upon reading the synopsis on Wikipedia, I now get certain elements of this film. It's a rental, but it could have been a spectacle of a film. Furthermore, it is not a horror movie. It is a thriller, to whomever is reading this.

• Nov 26, 2015

The Last Winter is set in exactly same setting as 80's cult The Thing, but it is focused on more psychological aspects then on the alien parasite. Which ultimately sucks the juice out of it. Movie is powerful in every way but since it ends in an abyss, it losses most of it's charm there.

• Nov 22, 2015

A chilling slow burner with enough atmospheric tension to make up for the subpar finale.

• Nov 18, 2015