Lay the Favorite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lay the Favorite Reviews

July 27, 2016
Rebecca Hall is very sexy and lovely. The story is a bit much.
July 9, 2016
Rebecca Hall sans her British accent in a cute little movie about a young girl who quits her job as stripper in Florida to go to Las Vegas to become a successful bookie for gamblers. Bruce Willis is very good as her mentor.
June 20, 2016
If you can imagine ordering a salad with all of your favourite ingredients and you're actually served with the limpest of diseased lettuce instead, that might well sum up your reaction to Lay the Favo(u)rite. Neither drama nor comedy, this kind of mess smacks of studio interference but, whatever happens, just avoid it.
April 19, 2016
This is the most unbelievable crap I have ever seen in my life. I kept watching it because it's chock full of all these big stars. The lead actress can not act her way out of a pimp mobile, the director is a disaster, the script is a mish-mash p.o.s., how this project got off the ground to get made will haunt me to the end of my living days. Mystery HUGE!
February 26, 2015
(11%)
A limp waste of both man's and the world's resources who's cinematic release came and quickly vanished away before the glue that stuck the lame and cheap looking advertising posters had even properly dried. This is one of those films that starts OK with hope of things yet to come, but any hope here is badly misplaced. Rebecca Hall plays a ditzy, quite annoying stripper who becomes a Las Vegas high rolling pro gambler within the blink of an eye utilising her Rain man style abilities that are mentioned once and never spoken of ever again. It really is amazing how easy it is to get a well paying job in this movie, so much so that in this universe there's no such thing as poverty and everyone retires at 22. Bruce Willis plays the boss of a group of gambling speculators, and even he managers to annoy with his character who doesn't seem to accept that betting on anything is massively risky and requires nothing more than blind luck to succeed. While Catherine Zeta-Jones and Joshua Jackson are hardly featured and play mostly pointless roles anyway. Overall this managers to be both mundane, dry, and strait-laced, yet still a bit of a mess.
February 23, 2015
I'm sure given a second go they could make this much better than it is, as it's a fairly fresh take on a gambling movie. However the acting is not top notch, the comedy is too light to be comedy, and the betting side of things are hard to fathom if you don't already understand what's going on with that side of the plot.
February 21, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
February 18, 2015
Not great but not as awful as people say it is.
It's a better drama than a comedy though.
November 30, 2014
kinda ok but that not that interesting
November 30, 2014
Hard To Appreciate This 'True' Story Because The Lead Character Is Just Too Weak. You Don't End Up Caring Much For Her Plight, She Let's The Other Well-Known Cast Down. It Wasn't Something Memorable..I Cringed A Lot.
November 24, 2014
The script is very silly and the performances even worse. The entire plot is bland.
November 24, 2014
Interesting story but the characters are very bland and the movie is in a constant ride.
½ October 2, 2014
Don't know much about gambling - and after watching this I still don't. The machinations of making a "line move" don't make sense to me. However, despite the topic, Rebecca Hall has an infectious innocence and charm and bowls you over as Beth. Bruce Willis is good in everything - one of my favs - and Laura Prepon gets nekkid. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
September 25, 2014
I liked rebecca acting. but overall its not what u expect from bruce. watched on mobile sep 25.
August 10, 2014
Poor Rebecca Hall. If someone had told her there was no hope for Lay the Favorite, she could have saved some energy. I say SKIP IT!!!
July 30, 2014
I can't understand why this film is not liked it is full of a lot of laughs and it also has a great cast.
July 7, 2014
pretty pointless movie but fuck I love Rebecca Hall.
May 24, 2014