Letters from Iwo Jima - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Letters from Iwo Jima Reviews

November 20, 2016
Filmed back to back with Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima is told from the Japanese soldier's POV, which makes it a fascinating film right from the start. General Kuribayashi, played by Ken Watanabe, makes for one of the most interesting characters in all of war films. A man who used to be close friends with the Americans is now using their weapon gifted to him right back on their own soldiers. It provides serious perspective and gives you a newfound understanding that war isn't always good vs. evil. There are good and bad people on both sides, but the treacheries of war don't discriminate.
November 13, 2016
Iwo Jima from the point of view of defeated, narrated honestly, dignified and without stereotypes.
November 7, 2016
A long overdue perspective on war. This film concentrates on the morale & varying shades of humanity throughout the defense & loss of the tiny island.
November 6, 2016
This is war. Been there, it's real.
October 23, 2016
It's an OK flick. Some good scenes (the Japanese solders committing suicide by blowing themselves up with grenades) and a lot of hokey scenes (the Japanese soldiers all crying over the dead farm boy from Oklahoma). This is no masterpiece.
October 1, 2016
Fascinating to look at this iconic battle from the "other" perspective.

Grade: A
September 14, 2016
Incredible in all dimensions - rock-solid plot, in-depth characterization, historical fidelity, phenomenal acting and cinematography. I am partial to movies that show humanity or decency in the face absurdity and human evil (think Nanjing! Nanjing!, Waltz With Bashir, Act of Killing, Full Metal Jacket), movies that dwell on the thin veneer between civilized morality and unrestrained human cruelty, and I found Letters to Iwo Jima to be thorough exploration of this subject. Not only did this film focus on the Japanese perspective of the war, which is fascinating as much as it is important, but it also addresses the diversity of perspectives, including dissent and reluctant obedience, on the Japanese side. Very highly recommended.
September 9, 2016
Too long for its own good (like its companion piece "Flags Of Our Fathers"), but still thoroughly thought provoking and maturely done.
August 27, 2016
I have seen too many American and Japanese war movies. Not many show real face of war, especially American movies. This is special, war movie directed by greatest American actor, superb movie!
July 13, 2016
Wonderful embodiment of japanese culture, war, heroism, sacrifice and meaninglessness of war casulties. Great atmospheric picture. Not as thight as I would like it.
½ July 9, 2016
As good as Flags was, it wasn't anything unlike we had seen before. Letters From Iwo Jima is respectful, gritty, somber, and original. Ken Watanabe and the entire supporting cast is excellent at portraying the fierce strength of the Japanese defenders, while also giving them a natural, human edge. I found them to be more compelling than the Flags Of Our Fathers characters. In addition, the way Letters portrayed both America and Japan was fair and lacked bias towards one side over the other.
July 5, 2016
Better than flags of our fathers and one of clint eastwood's best. It was a thoughtful, well constructed movie showing what the enemy side went through during the battle at iwo jima. Unfortunately for them they were sorely outnumbered and less equipped in every way. The main character is very relatable as are most of the other important characters. I liked the score a lot and found the movie to be very believable. Well acted and while not a happy movie, an important one. Its a bit of a long film, but it tells many stories of different forgotten Japanese heroes. Shows a lot about the culture of Japanese in regards to honor, including suicide before being killed by the enemy and obeying authority as well as duties to the emperor. Some scenes are pretty graphic and horrible. Couldve been a bit better but a different take on most war movies.
June 12, 2016
One of the best WWII movies from the Japanese point of view I've ever seen, sadly this was Eastwood's last great film he's directed.
½ May 30, 2016
A tragic and realistic film that portrays the Japanese side of the war.
March 23, 2016
The companion piece to Eastwood's "Flags of Our Fathers" tells the story of the taking of Iwo Jima from the Japanese perspective, a group of desperate men who knew they had no chance of victory but also had the burden of not being seen to be dishonorable too. Eastwood's take on their side of the story is a reflective and deeply sympathetic one, and, like most of this director's latter-day films, it unfolds like a good novel. A harrowing one, superbly played, and viscerally exciting, the two films together make the definitive account of the brutal fight for one strategic little island.
March 17, 2016
If you say Clint Eastwood many say oh yeah that guy from so many western films ... but that's Clint Eastwood the actor. Clint Eastwood the director that's completely different world with completely different films ... pity he is already in his mid 80ties .... I hope he'll come up with many great films still ...
February 27, 2016
It is a masterpiece that will move you to tears.
February 14, 2016
Really brings up the true horrors of war from a new perspective, that of the enemy. This movie does an amazing job at showing that war devastates both sides, and has plenty of moments to bring tears into your eyes.
February 3, 2016
Letters From Iwo Jima is a raw and visceral war drama that transcends clichés due to Clint Eastwood´s unflinchingly direction to depict the lives of japanese soldiers during the Battle without idealizations and stereotypes.
½ January 14, 2016
The edited out the scene where the Japanese soldiers gang-raped 10 year old girls to death and then stuffed bamboo poles up their vagina... This morally reprehensible film shamelessly warps historical truth and tries to portray some of the most vile and sadistic monsters as tragic heroes somehow worthy of our admiration...
An appropriate sequel to this film would depict how nice and wonderful Nazi SS soldiers were... 100% GARBAGE