Letters from Iwo Jima - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Letters from Iwo Jima Reviews

October 1, 2016
Fascinating to look at this iconic battle from the "other" perspective.

Grade: A
September 14, 2016
Incredible in all dimensions - rock-solid plot, in-depth characterization, historical fidelity, phenomenal acting and cinematography. I am partial to movies that show humanity or decency in the face absurdity and human evil (think Nanjing! Nanjing!, Waltz With Bashir, Act of Killing, Full Metal Jacket), movies that dwell on the thin veneer between civilized morality and unrestrained human cruelty, and I found Letters to Iwo Jima to be thorough exploration of this subject. Not only did this film focus on the Japanese perspective of the war, which is fascinating as much as it is important, but it also addresses the diversity of perspectives, including dissent and reluctant obedience, on the Japanese side. Very highly recommended.
September 9, 2016
Too long for its own good (like its companion piece "Flags Of Our Fathers"), but still thoroughly thought provoking and maturely done.
August 27, 2016
I have seen too many American and Japanese war movies. Not many show real face of war, especially American movies. This is special, war movie directed by greatest American actor, superb movie!
July 13, 2016
Wonderful embodiment of japanese culture, war, heroism, sacrifice and meaninglessness of war casulties. Great atmospheric picture. Not as thight as I would like it.
½ July 9, 2016
As good as Flags was, it wasn't anything unlike we had seen before. Letters From Iwo Jima is respectful, gritty, somber, and original. Ken Watanabe and the entire supporting cast is excellent at portraying the fierce strength of the Japanese defenders, while also giving them a natural, human edge. I found them to be more compelling than the Flags Of Our Fathers characters. In addition, the way Letters portrayed both America and Japan was fair and lacked bias towards one side over the other.
July 5, 2016
Better than flags of our fathers and one of clint eastwood's best. It was a thoughtful, well constructed movie showing what the enemy side went through during the battle at iwo jima. Unfortunately for them they were sorely outnumbered and less equipped in every way. The main character is very relatable as are most of the other important characters. I liked the score a lot and found the movie to be very believable. Well acted and while not a happy movie, an important one. Its a bit of a long film, but it tells many stories of different forgotten Japanese heroes. Shows a lot about the culture of Japanese in regards to honor, including suicide before being killed by the enemy and obeying authority as well as duties to the emperor. Some scenes are pretty graphic and horrible. Couldve been a bit better but a different take on most war movies.
June 12, 2016
One of the best WWII movies from the Japanese point of view I've ever seen, sadly this was Eastwood's last great film he's directed.
½ May 30, 2016
A tragic and realistic film that portrays the Japanese side of the war.
March 23, 2016
The companion piece to Eastwood's "Flags of Our Fathers" tells the story of the taking of Iwo Jima from the Japanese perspective, a group of desperate men who knew they had no chance of victory but also had the burden of not being seen to be dishonorable too. Eastwood's take on their side of the story is a reflective and deeply sympathetic one, and, like most of this director's latter-day films, it unfolds like a good novel. A harrowing one, superbly played, and viscerally exciting, the two films together make the definitive account of the brutal fight for one strategic little island.
March 17, 2016
If you say Clint Eastwood many say oh yeah that guy from so many western films ... but that's Clint Eastwood the actor. Clint Eastwood the director that's completely different world with completely different films ... pity he is already in his mid 80ties .... I hope he'll come up with many great films still ...
February 27, 2016
It is a masterpiece that will move you to tears.
February 14, 2016
Really brings up the true horrors of war from a new perspective, that of the enemy. This movie does an amazing job at showing that war devastates both sides, and has plenty of moments to bring tears into your eyes.
February 3, 2016
Letters From Iwo Jima is a raw and visceral war drama that transcends clichés due to Clint Eastwood´s unflinchingly direction to depict the lives of japanese soldiers during the Battle without idealizations and stereotypes.
½ January 14, 2016
The edited out the scene where the Japanese soldiers gang-raped 10 year old girls to death and then stuffed bamboo poles up their vagina... This morally reprehensible film shamelessly warps historical truth and tries to portray some of the most vile and sadistic monsters as tragic heroes somehow worthy of our admiration...
An appropriate sequel to this film would depict how nice and wonderful Nazi SS soldiers were... 100% GARBAGE
January 4, 2016
Haven't been many war movies since which were not just about the firefight action.
December 29, 2015
Letters from Iwo Jima intimately transcribes the loss and tragedy that was once profoundly aligned with Japan's imperialistic ambitions.
November 28, 2015
There are next to no movies that tell of the Japanese side of the story about the Pacfic Theater, as if there is any amount of Pacific Theater movies to begin with. But this is one of the greats for sure, the second part to Clint Eastwoods Iwo Jim's saga. It follows a very different feel than Flags of our Fathers. Not only is it a very different language, but the conditions of the soldiers are far different. It's a claustrophobic feel, often confined to small networks of caves, on a remote island, surrounded by the US marines. Anyone who knows of the Japanese during WWII knows that at one time or another they will commit suicide, banzai charge (suicide) or fight to the death. It's a sad and gloomy story, and it's portrayed very well. The story is great, the acting and script are both good, and the action is good. Sometimes explosions can look a little too CGI, or just not big enough. But these are minor setbacks to action with gret sounds and violence. It's large scale, hectic and futile for the Japanese, and ends with many dead. It does feel a little rushed however, from the brief capture of the beach to the flag on Iwo, takes no time at all, and could have used more attention. However these are the events commonly used with the battle, so it's great to see the futile battle of the rest of the island strongly covered as well, something Flags of our Fathers only does marginally. However it covers the horror well, and has a very dark and hopeless feel. We do feel for the Japanese, and although their ideas about honor and suicide may be crazy to us, it shows it well and we gain sympathy for them, much like how Downfall makes us feel for the German high command in the last days in Berlin. Similar idea, but this one has far more action, and what's not to love about that. Great movie, nice to see the other side of the war, extremely well done, and only gets better as it goes along
November 5, 2015
An amazing film for any fan of War movies. This movie provides an amazing incite into the life of a solider fighting against the United States during one of the deadliest Battles on the Pacific.
½ October 4, 2015
Great movie. Different point of view was novel.