The Limey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Limey Reviews

½ September 25, 2017
Thin script and typically poor acting from Stamp. A waste of two hours
August 20, 2017
It isn't the story that is what fascinates but how this movie is told with stylish editing and a loopy structure that attracts the audience. Terence Stamp brings a gutsy performance as a guilt stricken ex-con father and Luis Guzman gives the lite humor to make a throughly enjoyable, simple movie.
August 17, 2017
Beautiful locations, has a style all of its own from the disoriented structure to the subtle, but forceful performances. Both Soderbergh and screenwriter Dobbs are in-sync and develop an unique experience to a familiar revenge tale.
December 1, 2016
I'm not big on this experimental editing style. The story would have gained by having the nihilist gravitas of movies like Night Moves or Point Blank. Still, Soderbergh is a master of his craft and the truth is that The Limey offers a powerful trio of exquisite photography, performance and score.
July 18, 2016
Terence Stamp delivers a strong performance with no punches held. The editing makes it worth your time as well.
November 26, 2015
The past large looms large in this revenge film which casts Baby Boomer counter culture icons Terence Stamp and Peter Fonda, (Barry Newman of "Vanishing Point" fame and Joe Dellesandro of various Warhol films also appear), to which director Steven Soderbergh uses to it's fullest. Stamp plays a British ex-con who comes to LA following the death of his daughter, which was under suspicious circumstances, and is looking for answers and revenge upon the music producer mogul, Fonda, who was dating her at the time and who he believes is responsible. This film doesn't have the pacing of an action film and the action that the film does have is often subdued. The film has a dreamlike quality and I think that's the point of the film, that these baby boomers are now past their time and yet continue to exist in a time and place very unlike the prime days of their youth. However, I may be reading more into the film and it may be more simply a revenge picture with a theme about family. Either way, the film is excellent. Not all of the film works, as it is rather indulgent in parts to no real purpose of the whole (such as Nikky Katt's comic quips on a movie set or Stamp's monologues with over-the-top cockney slang), but that can be forgiven for the film's may delights. Stamp is absolutely commanding gin the lead and is the best part of the film, but Fonda is also deliciously slimy. I've also always been fascinated by bagman type of characters and Barry Newman is great as the guy who's likely been cleaning up Fonda's messes for year. Nikki Katt is also memorable as a hitman with his mute partner, Dellesandro. Katt has been acting for years, but this was the first film where I really took note of him. Soderbergh's regular composter Cliff Martinez also gives the film a hypnotic score that complements the films dream-like reality. You also get Bill Duke in an uncredited one scene role. Overall, this film is flawed, but a wonderful treat for fans of old style revenge pictures or of Soderbergh.
½ September 27, 2015
9/27/2015: Not what I was hoping for. It started as a good action flick, but died into a drama pretty quickly. Disappointing.
September 17, 2015
This may have been innovative stuff in 1999 but in today's world of revenge pics, angry dads, and urban horror this didn't really do much for me.

God bless Terence Stamp though.
August 24, 2015
The reason I watched this tale of a father's revenge on the man who killed his daughter was terence Stamp--he always gives an interesting performance-- and here he delivered.
June 5, 2015
Ugh I just couldn't get into it. I watched the whole thing, but I didn't like it.
May 25, 2015
Stamp kills it...this is how you do the thriller noir and do it really well.
January 31, 2015
Stamp's lead performance is excellent, the direction is great and the camerawork is superb. This all adds up to a gripping crime-thriller.
January 24, 2015
Damned good movie; I've re-watched it at least 4 or 5 times. Every role is well-done and the plot moves along crisply. A story well-told, with believable turns and plot points (not the stupid stuff you see in a lot of tv/movies).
I like revenge movies, and this is one really well done.
December 1, 2014
Steven Soderbergh has frequently stated how John Boorman's Point Blank was a seminal film for his style, and The Limey is the most telling reminder of this. Like that 1967 neo-noir classic, The Limey seeks to be an existential take on the typical revenge thriller, and utilizes a very unique non-linear narrative style. While Soderbergh's direction remains fairly steady, the editing is far more abnormal, and utilizes heavy use of flashbacks and jump cuts in a way that vaguely resembles Pulp Fiction on celluloid. It's more a cinematic flourish than a viable thematic construct, but it works, and keeps the Limey's slim script from ever being boring. Cinema fans expecting a great show-off between acting veterans Terence Stamp and Peter Fonda won't leave disappointed either, as both of the veteran actors deliver latter career highlights here, even if the finale comes off as a bit of a let-down. One of Soderbergh's most under appreciated films, and maybe his best.
August 22, 2014
Terence Stamp is a bigger badass in 'The Limey' than in 'Superman II'.
July 15, 2014
Great early movie by Soderbergh whose creative storytelling and editing choices really keep you on your toes as you watch. Stamp is incredible as the father out for revenge.
June 7, 2014
A very good, high-quality film with a simple but strong plot and story, great characters and acting, and very good cinematography. The setting is fantastic, and the movie has a very good atomosphere that's hard to explain but very good (moody maybe and dreamy). The direction is very good - the flashback thingy is a bit confusing, but also innovative. I like these kind of movies - they tell one personal story eschewing the complicated spectacle of many other films. Overall, a solid film that's a good watch and well-acted.
½ April 13, 2014
I always enjoy seeing this film. It's a bit of dark comedy to me.
½ February 16, 2014
The Limey struck me as interesting because it was done ten years after Soderbergh directed, or released Sex, Lies, and Videotape which is the better film by a long shot. The Limey was a struggle for me to get through. The characters were under developed and the story was flat boring. The dialog was something id expect from a highschooler who strives to be Tarantino. It was god awful. However on the other hand all of this is a good thing for me to see because as I watch I am noticing things that are problematic with my own projects. When scenes are done so many times and you mix and match performances of various takes with a single actor in the scene you must splice them together, I was very aware of this while watching the Limey and while at first glance it may appear to be a creative choice, I fear that no it isn't, its truly just making due with what you have.
The music by Cliff Martinez was the reason I decided to watch the film in the first place and then I discovered it was a Soderbergh film. I was pleasantly surprised but quickly lost interest at the film began but continued to the end. Its nice to see this project and to know that within the next few years the artist would make Traffic and Erin Bronkovich. Good job Steven.
½ January 21, 2014
I had thought, until recently, that I did not like Soderberghs body of work but this film was a delightful surprise. Incredible editing, storytelling and ability to get nuanced performances from his actors.