The Lincoln Lawyer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lincoln Lawyer Reviews

June 9, 2018
I can watch this movie over and over agiain.
April 23, 2018
I enjoyed the legal thriller, the plot is interesting but it does have a big problem, the major premise doesn't make any sense, it would have been an open and shut case if someone didn't act over smart. The casting, acting, and direction are great, it's an entertaining movie but I was expecting something more.
½ February 24, 2018
Matthew McConaughey will make it worth your while. Like he so often does.
½ February 22, 2018
***1/2
'The Lincoln Lawyer' was a very entertaining, well-made courtroom drama. It's well written, has good performances, and kept my attention throughout its (slightly overlong) run time. I suppose, the reason I'm not giving it a higher rating is simply because it didn't do anything particularly special. The mystery is interesting for the most part, but it's nothing you haven't seen before - and, really, that's this films biggest problem. It doesn't defy expectations, but instead simply meets them. And that's fine, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed watching this movie and was thoroughly entertained. But am I ever going to watch it again? Probably not. What this film needed was something unique - something to set itself apart from the rest. Although pretty much everything it does it does well, it doesn't do anything special. As an example of a similar movie, look at 'A Few Good Men'. That, too, is a simple courtroom drama - but it has many excellent features. You remember the performance from Jack Nicholson, the crisp dialogue, and that films final 20 minutes are firmly seated in movie history as some of the best, tensest courtroom drama - hell, just normal drama - ever put to film. This movie doesn't have anything like that. So, for the record, I liked this movie. It was good, maybe even really good - but it wasn't great. That's its only real problem, but it's a pretty big one.
November 9, 2017
One of my favorites, great acting, solid story
October 28, 2017
One of the best movies I've seen in a very long time!
½ October 4, 2017
Not bad, but I found it hard to care for these characters. Ryan Phillippe has long ago worn thin.
September 16, 2017
Very captivating. The guy playing the driver is awesome.
September 4, 2017
Based on the Michael Connelly novel; this legal thriller gives Matthew McConaughey his best performance in over a decade. He plays a questionably ethical defense attorney who has taken a rape case for a very rich boy (Ryan Phillippe) who at first seems innocent of his crime; but with time we find that there may be much more to it. McConaughey must win his case to provide a plot to capture Phillippe. Both tense and frightening once we get down to it The Lincoln Lawyer doesn't really show anything new in the genre but it delivers such taut performances that we don't even care. Marisa Tomei has never been more beautiful as his ex-wife and William H. Macy makes a great character performance as McConaughey's investigator.
August 21, 2017
This was a pretty good movie. Honestly, it is nothing to phone home about, but it is interesting and it has a few plot twists.
½ August 15, 2017
It's sort of just off on its own accord depicting certain things that I don't remember ever seeing before. I'm still intrigued by mysteries such as these even though I can usually visualize the outcome, it's just fun to play along. Everyone plays their part accordingly which is typically bothersome but it's just what this film needs to do it justice.
July 21, 2017
A well crafted court room drama with a crime story threading throughout, The Lincoln Lawyer is an interesting, well acted, and smart film that doesn't make any new territory for the genre and doesn't have quite the intensity the story requires, but weaves an intriguing tale that will grip audiences until the end.
July 15, 2017
This courtroom thriller features a solid performance by Matthew McConaughey, ample snappy, courtroom dialogue and twists to keep us thoroughly engaged.
½ July 2, 2017
The Lincoln Lawyer is directed by Brad Furman, and it stars Matthew McConaughey, Marisa Tomei, and Ryan Phillippe in a legal thriller about a lawyer that's really good in defending people, but got himself in a predicament when his next client keeps lying to his lawyer. I wanted to go back to this as it stand out from most lawyer films in that it's both the client and lawyer that are in a very bad situation, and I rented this and Mud, even though that's a huge coincidence that I rented those films that have Matthew McConaughey in it. So let's get into business about why this film is guilty of being a really great movie. Matthew McConaughey gives a terrific performance in this that you understand why people pick him as their defense lawyer, and the rest of the actors are great too whether it be from Marisa Tomei, Ryan Phillippe, Michael Pena, or even Bryan Cranston in a bit of a short cameo. The story is really nothing groundbreaking as it does get predictable at times, but consider that McConaughey's character is very likable, you're sucked in the film and wanted to see how he gets out of this. It keeps the pace very tight, so it wasn't boring nor too fast, and it's very smart too. I also like the chemistry between Matthew McConaughey and Marisa Tomei as they are very sweet, and it feels genuine even though their characters are divorced from each other. The more I talk about this film, the more I give away the plot, so I'm just gonna end it here and tell you to go see it, and don't watch the trailers as they give away some important plot points.
March 4, 2017
Very intense and interesting
January 26, 2017
Mickey 'Mick' Haller (Matt McConaughey) es un abogado que tiene su oficina, nada menos, que en su auto, un Lincoln, lo que reduce sus costos. Pero se muestra como un abogado bastante hábil y tiene un gran uso de la palabra y la lógica en sus casos. Mick es reconocido por defender a delincuentes de mala vida, generalmente con muy buenos resultados. De repente, es contactado por un joven adinerado, Louis Roulet (Ryan Philippe) que está acusado de violación e intento de asesinado de una muchacha. El caso se complica cuando Mick descubre que Louis Roulet puede estarle mintiendo, y resultar tan manipulador como él, lo que le haría responsable del delito que se le imputa. El abogado se mostrará comprometido con su defendido, como para ganar el caso; pero las implicaciones morales y los peligros sufridos le darán un giro inusual a la historia. Con Marisa Tomei, William Macy y Michael Peña
½ January 11, 2017
Brilliant performance by the leading role and in overall thumps up !
November 6, 2016
SPOILER ALERT
Maybe my legal sense is poor, but why can't Haller drop Roulet as a client after he visits Martinez in San Quentin and realises he's been set up? I staggered through until the demise of William H Macy's character and then had no real reason to watch this one out. Plot too forced and ultimately unconvincing.
September 3, 2016
Matthew McConaughey carries the movie as he defends an unlikable Ryan Phillipe. The plot is clever and interesting throughout.
August 22, 2016
The critics consensus is pretty spot on.