The Lincoln Lawyer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lincoln Lawyer Reviews

½ August 15, 2017
It's sort of just off on its own accord depicting certain things that I don't remember ever seeing before. I'm still intrigued by mysteries such as these even though I can usually visualize the outcome, it's just fun to play along. Everyone plays their part accordingly which is typically bothersome but it's just what this film needs to do it justice.
July 21, 2017
A well crafted court room drama with a crime story threading throughout, The Lincoln Lawyer is an interesting, well acted, and smart film that doesn't make any new territory for the genre and doesn't have quite the intensity the story requires, but weaves an intriguing tale that will grip audiences until the end.
July 15, 2017
This courtroom thriller features a solid performance by Matthew McConaughey, ample snappy, courtroom dialogue and twists to keep us thoroughly engaged.
½ July 2, 2017
The Lincoln Lawyer is directed by Brad Furman, and it stars Matthew McConaughey, Marisa Tomei, and Ryan Phillippe in a legal thriller about a lawyer that's really good in defending people, but got himself in a predicament when his next client keeps lying to his lawyer. I wanted to go back to this as it stand out from most lawyer films in that it's both the client and lawyer that are in a very bad situation, and I rented this and Mud, even though that's a huge coincidence that I rented those films that have Matthew McConaughey in it. So let's get into business about why this film is guilty of being a really great movie. Matthew McConaughey gives a terrific performance in this that you understand why people pick him as their defense lawyer, and the rest of the actors are great too whether it be from Marisa Tomei, Ryan Phillippe, Michael Pena, or even Bryan Cranston in a bit of a short cameo. The story is really nothing groundbreaking as it does get predictable at times, but consider that McConaughey's character is very likable, you're sucked in the film and wanted to see how he gets out of this. It keeps the pace very tight, so it wasn't boring nor too fast, and it's very smart too. I also like the chemistry between Matthew McConaughey and Marisa Tomei as they are very sweet, and it feels genuine even though their characters are divorced from each other. The more I talk about this film, the more I give away the plot, so I'm just gonna end it here and tell you to go see it, and don't watch the trailers as they give away some important plot points.
March 4, 2017
Very intense and interesting
January 26, 2017
Mickey 'Mick' Haller (Matt McConaughey) es un abogado que tiene su oficina, nada menos, que en su auto, un Lincoln, lo que reduce sus costos. Pero se muestra como un abogado bastante hábil y tiene un gran uso de la palabra y la lógica en sus casos. Mick es reconocido por defender a delincuentes de mala vida, generalmente con muy buenos resultados. De repente, es contactado por un joven adinerado, Louis Roulet (Ryan Philippe) que está acusado de violación e intento de asesinado de una muchacha. El caso se complica cuando Mick descubre que Louis Roulet puede estarle mintiendo, y resultar tan manipulador como él, lo que le haría responsable del delito que se le imputa. El abogado se mostrará comprometido con su defendido, como para ganar el caso; pero las implicaciones morales y los peligros sufridos le darán un giro inusual a la historia. Con Marisa Tomei, William Macy y Michael Peña
½ January 11, 2017
Brilliant performance by the leading role and in overall thumps up !
November 6, 2016
SPOILER ALERT
Maybe my legal sense is poor, but why can't Haller drop Roulet as a client after he visits Martinez in San Quentin and realises he's been set up? I staggered through until the demise of William H Macy's character and then had no real reason to watch this one out. Plot too forced and ultimately unconvincing.
September 3, 2016
Matthew McConaughey carries the movie as he defends an unlikable Ryan Phillipe. The plot is clever and interesting throughout.
August 22, 2016
The critics consensus is pretty spot on.
July 21, 2016
The Lincoln Lawyer is an engaging, smoothly acted film, featuring Matt McConaughey playing a suave, smart lawyer who is ballsy enough to do what others may find distasteful: defending criminals (who are often guilty, according to some of the script lines). Though you don't really notice, the rest of the cast somewhat disappoints. Ryan Phillippe has his moments but is overall pretty shaky as the young man on trial. Marisa Tomei fails to project the same level of conviction as Matt's righteous but kind ex-wife. The film doesn't end as smartly as I would have liked, with a bigger emphasis on an explosive confrontation than a slick courtroom manuever, but the film was very enjoyable and avoided any big pitfalls.
½ July 18, 2016
This entertaining crime thriller is not very original but doesn't disappoint either, as it offers a pretty interesting plot with its typical, expected twists and some good performances - except, of course, Ryan Phillippe, who is mediocre and inexpressive as usual.
½ July 8, 2016
Great flow and cocktail acting, otherwise pretty standard as far as thrillers go, which is more than fine. Connelly's clever book seeps through at some good moments.
½ May 13, 2016
Great cast, great acting, great story. Must see.
April 14, 2016
Such a good movie! Really opened my eyes to the purpose of our justice system and the need for good defense lawyers, even for evil people.
½ March 31, 2016
A sleek and stylish courtroom drama/thriller with good performances all round. However, it never really goes beyond that- a good film for passing the time but hardly one to add to your favourites list.

I'm reluctant to say that this is a case of style over substance as there's not necessarily a lack of depth here. Rather, it's just that there isn't anything stand-out. The performances are solid and the film has an interesting style generally. Further, the plot has enough to keep you interested and the film's two hours pass quite easily.

Still, there's nothing about this that goes beyond the term 'serviceable'. If you're a fan of the genre then that will be more than enough but, if instead (like me), you expect something a little more cutting-edge from your courtroom movies, then this may leave you feeling a little underwhelmed.
March 6, 2016
The plot twists and turns enough to keep things interesting, and McConaughey's suave performance is grounded enough to make us believe it all.
March 6, 2016
The plot twists and turns enough to keep it interesting, and McConaughey's suave performance is grounded enough to make you believe it all.
½ March 3, 2016
Great movie. Suspenseful and interesting. Great cast. Only reason why I would take away a half a star was because of the jumbled side stories. You kind of have to put the pieces of the story together by yourself to get it. Also the end was a bit abrupt. Otherwise it is a must see and I would watch it again.