The Lincoln Lawyer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lincoln Lawyer Reviews

November 6, 2016
SPOILER ALERT
Maybe my legal sense is poor, but why can't Haller drop Roulet as a client after he visits Martinez in San Quentin and realises he's been set up? I staggered through until the demise of William H Macy's character and then had no real reason to watch this one out. Plot too forced and ultimately unconvincing.
September 3, 2016
Matthew McConaughey carries the movie as he defends an unlikable Ryan Phillipe. The plot is clever and interesting throughout.
August 22, 2016
The critics consensus is pretty spot on.
July 21, 2016
The Lincoln Lawyer is an engaging, smoothly acted film, featuring Matt McConaughey playing a suave, smart lawyer who is ballsy enough to do what others may find distasteful: defending criminals (who are often guilty, according to some of the script lines). Though you don't really notice, the rest of the cast somewhat disappoints. Ryan Phillippe has his moments but is overall pretty shaky as the young man on trial. Marisa Tomei fails to project the same level of conviction as Matt's righteous but kind ex-wife. The film doesn't end as smartly as I would have liked, with a bigger emphasis on an explosive confrontation than a slick courtroom manuever, but the film was very enjoyable and avoided any big pitfalls.
½ July 18, 2016
This entertaining crime thriller is not very original but doesn't disappoint either, as it offers a pretty interesting plot with its typical, expected twists and some good performances - except, of course, Ryan Phillippe, who is mediocre and inexpressive as usual.
½ July 8, 2016
Great flow and cocktail acting, otherwise pretty standard as far as thrillers go, which is more than fine. Connelly's clever book seeps through at some good moments.
½ May 13, 2016
Great cast, great acting, great story. Must see.
April 14, 2016
Such a good movie! Really opened my eyes to the purpose of our justice system and the need for good defense lawyers, even for evil people.
½ March 31, 2016
A sleek and stylish courtroom drama/thriller with good performances all round. However, it never really goes beyond that- a good film for passing the time but hardly one to add to your favourites list.

I'm reluctant to say that this is a case of style over substance as there's not necessarily a lack of depth here. Rather, it's just that there isn't anything stand-out. The performances are solid and the film has an interesting style generally. Further, the plot has enough to keep you interested and the film's two hours pass quite easily.

Still, there's nothing about this that goes beyond the term 'serviceable'. If you're a fan of the genre then that will be more than enough but, if instead (like me), you expect something a little more cutting-edge from your courtroom movies, then this may leave you feeling a little underwhelmed.
March 6, 2016
The plot twists and turns enough to keep things interesting, and McConaughey's suave performance is grounded enough to make us believe it all.
March 6, 2016
The plot twists and turns enough to keep it interesting, and McConaughey's suave performance is grounded enough to make you believe it all.
½ March 3, 2016
Great movie. Suspenseful and interesting. Great cast. Only reason why I would take away a half a star was because of the jumbled side stories. You kind of have to put the pieces of the story together by yourself to get it. Also the end was a bit abrupt. Otherwise it is a must see and I would watch it again.
February 19, 2016
I'm really enjoying the career phase McConaughey is going through of late. This could have easily have been a vehicle for the "alright, alright" caricature of his middle-career, but it wasn't. Enjoyed it!
February 5, 2016
McConaughey's performance, as well as the surrounding casts work make what would be a middling movie into a spectacular courthouse film.
January 10, 2016
Clever courtroom drama directed by Brad Furman. Good soundtrack and a great role for Matthew McConaughey!
January 1, 2016
Seen it once. Probably wouldn't watch again. Needed some double jeopardy or something legal to snake its way to the end. It tossed to and fro a bit.
½ December 12, 2015
Clever, charming and dark, a quickly moving courtroom thriller that offers plenty of action and surprises as Mickey Haller tries to defend his client as he unravels a string of rapes and murders that have been left unsolved.
November 28, 2015
There's probably holes throughout the script but I wasn't in the mood to question it. So overall you're left with a fast paced and fun legal thriller with a pretty reasonable cast. Oh yeah and the soundtrack deserves a mention. Excellent. Questionable ethics on show from MMc...not sure those biker gangs are quite so cuddly in reality.
October 27, 2015
The story begins slowly but builds momentum until it ends satisfactorily. McConaughey and Phillippe play well off each other, and Tomei is always a pleasure to watch. Somewhat predictable, but enjoyable just the same.