The Locusts Reviews

• Nov 25, 2018

Discovered this film while searching through MGM's Avant-Garde Cinema list. Definitely an interesting movie based on its premise and tone. John Patrick Kelley's one and only feature is an intriguing directorial debut and it displays his potential as a storyteller. The film has its moments but pacing issues hinders the narrative from ever gaining any momentum. Even with a solid cast, decent character development, and a compelling narrative, The Locusts sputters with novice filmmaking that could have been better served with an experienced director at the helm.

• Jul 16, 2016

This movie feels personal. As it's the only film written and directed by John Patrick Kelley, it probably is. The slow development of the plot and simultaneously tragic/glamorous feel of the story isn't for everyone, but fans of films like Suddenly Last Summer and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf will find a lot to love with this film.

• Jan 02, 2016

This is a low key Southern Gothic flick that I only vaguely recalled liking from the VHS days, so I was pleased to revisit it on a cheaply purchased DVD recently, and I can say that the film holds up well. An interesting character study/battle of wills between Vince Vaughn and Kate Capshaw, with him fighting against her iron will for her son in a small town where she's used to ruling with an iron fist, this film is well worth tracking down. Give it a look.

• Jul 30, 2014

Cette histoire d'un vagabond des 50's qui fuit son passé et qui se retrouve dans une communauté qui cache de lourds secrets familiaux n'a rien d'original. Pendant une heure, cependant, Vince Vaughn, Paul Rudd et Ashley Judd suffisent à rendre le film plus que regardables. Mais au bout des deux longues heures, force est de constater que ni la réalisation, ni les multiples twists éculés, ni les autres acteurs ne parviennent à éléver The Locusts au rang de film recommandables. A la place, ça se regarde sans déplaisir mais sans réel intérêt non plus. La bande-son est remarquable.

• Oct 18, 2012

This is a deep movie!!! Loved it when Vince choked the ho though XD

This is a deep movie!!! Loved it when Vince choked the ho though XD

• Feb 01, 2012

This was agood movie. A lot of big name people from today. A little slow starting out but the ending was good.

• Jan 24, 2012

Okay, can't really say this movie was "good," but man did it ever keep my interest!! Ridiculously warped family if ever there was one...makes all the rest of us think oh hey, maybe our dysfunctional little families are pretty normal.

• Oct 20, 2009

It's hot, it's sultry and everybody's smokin' in the rural Kansas of The Locusts. Too bad the movie never catches fire.

• Jul 26, 2009

Vince Vaughn's BEST work yet! Such a sad sick story..but very entertaining

Vince Vaughn's BEST work yet! Such a sad sick story..but very entertaining

• Jun 14, 2009

I don't think I would want to see it again (especially because of the cattle stuff), but it was a pretty decent modern tragedy. Very well acted. I also enjoyed having a drifter that wasn't a bad guy, but quite the opposite.