Lone Survivor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lone Survivor Reviews

October 12, 2017
There's a spoiler in the title! This was a tough film to watch especially knowing it was a true story. And very gruesome in places. But a gripping story and well acted. Worth a watch.
½ September 6, 2017
Beautifully directed action scenes and jump scares throughout this well crafted testament to the struggle and danger of the US Military. Peter Berg rebounds from the horrible Battleship well. 6/10
August 29, 2017
truly one of the best modern war films to date. pacing, screenplay, cinematography, and sound design all work together flawlessly to create a hair raising and humbling story of the best of the best of our servicemen.
½ August 25, 2017
probably too close to the real thing which is why it didn't have the Hollywood drama $7
August 16, 2017
Good modern war movie
½ August 15, 2017
Gripping, but as one might expect there's a fair amount of cheesiness and rah-rah soldier stuff. Not terrible.
August 13, 2017
A brutal depiction of war is both horrifying and exciting. Lone Survivor honors the real men who risked their lives and sends out one message: War is ugly.
½ August 5, 2017
The story is strong, but the character development is poor. 7/10.
½ July 31, 2017
While it may sacrifice life-like characters and nuance for realism and incredible action, Lone Survivor's big surprise later in the film is that there's a real head and heart behind all the explosions.
July 24, 2017
A brutal, uncompromising look at the bravery and sacrifice of a handful of soldiers, leaving us with an intense, gripping, and often times touching film that at times can feel like a marines recruitment commercial, but overcomes it's flaws with a stellar cast and great direction.
July 22, 2017
The best War movie in my opinion ever made. Suspense, acting, and plot are second to no other war movie.
½ July 17, 2017
I think the critics have either been bought off or they are so unintelligent these days, they can't see a good movie from the bad. This movie was an epic failure on all levels. It starts off with a long drawn out shallow banter between what seems like a bunch of shallow frat boys made to pretend like navy seals. This is the worst kind of tribute for the real guys. Utterly pretentious and shallow..stay away from even a free viewing.
June 25, 2017
Powerful and moving story that shows the ugliness and tremendous cost of war. It's incredible to witness the hatred and thirst for blood from the Taliban. Great portrayals by a stellar cast.
½ June 17, 2017
a great film by director peter based on a real life event that happend with good performances from all actors and great action suspense and story told here
½ June 6, 2017
Gotta love true stories!!!
½ June 2, 2017
If you're looking for constant action this is your movie. Bullets are always reining in on our Seals, but don't expect a thick plot.
½ April 22, 2017
Lone Survivor's pulse-pounding combat and emotional grips make for a dramatic portrayal of brothers in arms. Mark Wahlberg and the rest of his comrades, along with a striking direction from Peter Berg, do a just treatment that compliment the courageous individuals in uniform and those who contributed in their fight for survival. 4.5/5
April 6, 2017
Spoiler alert in title! Anyways , this is a pretty good movie about a field mission in Afghanistan that goes terribly wrong. I was actually surprised by the minimalist of the plot here. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that the plot is very simple, a man has to figure out how to get out of a rather precarious situation. I did really like the second half much better than the first, especially with Wahlberg winding up in a small Afghan village. I liked the human side that came out of this movie.
½ April 4, 2017
This is an underrated war film by Peter Berg which deserves much more credit. It contains well-done battle sequences and it keeps the viewer hoping for a happy ending even though the outcome is already known.

4 Navy SEALs on a mission to find a high-level Taliban operative find themselves in a desperate gun battle with enemy forces in the Hindu Kush region.

Like Black Hawk Down, this is a movie which puts you in the middle of combat and it immerses you well. It isn't as claustrophobic and tense as Black Hawk Down was but it still does a great job in immersing you. The make-up work is bloody realistic and it shows you how all 4 men slowly become weaker and weaker as the battles they face continue on and on. Black Hawk Down didn't have this feature but I still think that it was more tense. I'll explain why I think that later in this review.

Mark Wahlberg did a great job acting. His performance isn't too impressive at first but after the movie starts to pick up, he gives it all he has and he does an exceptional job in the second half. All of the other actors give great performances as well but Wahlberg is the one who stands out the most considering that he's the main star of the movie.

I mentioned earlier that this movie has a lot of tension (which is does). However, perhaps "Lone Survivor" wasn't exactly the best title they could have come up with. After the other 3 men die, I felt that the movie lost some of its suspense because I knew that Wahlberg wouldn't die and I felt more calm in the battle scenes which came after it. I know that some people already knew the ending since this was based on a true story but I wasn't familiar with the main story and I would've felt more tension if there was a different title.

Even though this movie loses some of its tension near the end, I still think that this is an underrated war movie and it deserves a lot more praise. Some people have argued that it has intensity not seen in a Hollywood war movie ever since Black Hawk Down. I kind of agree with this statement. However, this movie still has well-executed battle scenes which are definitely worthy of a viewing. In my opinion, this is one of the best war movies of the past 15 years.
April 2, 2017