Lone Survivor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lone Survivor Reviews

½ April 22, 2017
Lone Survivor's pulse-pounding combat and emotional grips make for a dramatic portrayal of brothers in arms. Mark Wahlberg and the rest of his comrades, along with a striking direction from Peter Berg, do a just treatment that compliment the courageous individuals in uniform and those who contributed in their fight for survival. 4.5/5
April 6, 2017
Spoiler alert in title! Anyways , this is a pretty good movie about a field mission in Afghanistan that goes terribly wrong. I was actually surprised by the minimalist of the plot here. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that the plot is very simple, a man has to figure out how to get out of a rather precarious situation. I did really like the second half much better than the first, especially with Wahlberg winding up in a small Afghan village. I liked the human side that came out of this movie.
½ April 4, 2017
This is an underrated war film by Peter Berg which deserves much more credit. It contains well-done battle sequences and it keeps the viewer hoping for a happy ending even though the outcome is already known.

4 Navy SEALs on a mission to find a high-level Taliban operative find themselves in a desperate gun battle with enemy forces in the Hindu Kush region.

Like Black Hawk Down, this is a movie which puts you in the middle of combat and it immerses you well. It isn't as claustrophobic and tense as Black Hawk Down was but it still does a great job in immersing you. The make-up work is bloody realistic and it shows you how all 4 men slowly become weaker and weaker as the battles they face continue on and on. Black Hawk Down didn't have this feature but I still think that it was more tense. I'll explain why I think that later in this review.

Mark Wahlberg did a great job acting. His performance isn't too impressive at first but after the movie starts to pick up, he gives it all he has and he does an exceptional job in the second half. All of the other actors give great performances as well but Wahlberg is the one who stands out the most considering that he's the main star of the movie.

I mentioned earlier that this movie has a lot of tension (which is does). However, perhaps "Lone Survivor" wasn't exactly the best title they could have come up with. After the other 3 men die, I felt that the movie lost some of its suspense because I knew that Wahlberg wouldn't die and I felt more calm in the battle scenes which came after it. I know that some people already knew the ending since this was based on a true story but I wasn't familiar with the main story and I would've felt more tension if there was a different title.

Even though this movie loses some of its tension near the end, I still think that this is an underrated war movie and it deserves a lot more praise. Some people have argued that it has intensity not seen in a Hollywood war movie ever since Black Hawk Down. I kind of agree with this statement. However, this movie still has well-executed battle scenes which are definitely worthy of a viewing. In my opinion, this is one of the best war movies of the past 15 years.
April 2, 2017
Real real. Intense. ð???
April 2, 2017
great movie!!!!!!!!!
½ March 23, 2017
Oh my god.. what a horrible meaningless propaganda movie. "Based" on a true story, turned into the most unrealistic war movie ever. Its like believing Ghostbusters is a true story. I like Ben Foster, but what on earth is he doing in a movie like this. And that being said, Mark Wahlberg on the cast list is a no-go.
½ March 3, 2017
Blood or Battle
Lone Survivor is a movie directed by Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights 2004), this movie stars Mark Wahlburg who plays the role of Marcus Lattrell, a navy seal who is sent on a mission to Afghanistan. Alongside Mark Wahlburg, the other navy seals were played by Taylor Kitsch as Michael Patrick Murphy, Ben Foster as Matthew Axelson and Emile Hirsch as Danny Dietz who all ultimately gave their lives in Afghanistan during a conflict with the Taliban.
In 2005, a group of Navy Seals were called out on a tour to Afghanistan in an effort to take down Yousuf Azami, one of the most hostile terrorists in the world. The Seals dropped down by helicopter in Kunar Provice, where Azami was residing. The men were anticipating a clean and easy mission, and to be able to quickly return to their base. Their classified intel pointed them to a mountain to begin their hike to Azami. A couple of hours into the start of their journey, they heard goat bells ringing, and they knew their mission had gone amiss. The men scurried to seek a hiding place within the coverage of nearby trees. Through the dense trees and brush they saw goatherders, which consisted of an old man and two children, who were managing their goats. One of the boys tripped over Lattrell's boot, which sprung the Navy men into action. The viewer can feel with anticipation the adrenaline and terror that was inflicting the men as they grabbed the herders one-by-one. The men tie up the natives, and begin to contemplate what they should do with these people who have found them. They are faced with three options. The first option would be to kill these innocent citizens and continue their mission to kill Azami, the second would be to leave their hostages tied up and hope someone finds them before they starve to death, and the third choice would be to honor the navy seals rules and release these people who are unarmed citizens and take the risk of getting out in time before they tell the Taliban. As they are figuring out what they should do, as a viewer you start to wonder what you would do if you were faced with an impossible situation. Would you kill innocent children and a goat herder? Would you protect your mission by tying up the individuals and hope someone would find them, even though you would be incapable to go back and release them? Or would you release your hostages and risk your mission being compromised, and putting yourself in a vulnerable situation that could kill you?
Ultimately, the Navy Seals chose to release the goat herders in this nail biting, ethical dilemma. The men let the captives go, because of their Navy code. The viewer can feel the anxiety and uncertainty as they start to untie the Afghanistan people, with unspoken reluctance and terror. When the soldiers released the citizens the teenaged boy took off running to alert the Taliban about the American soldiers that were invading the mountain. The Taliban, without hesitation, rushed up into the mountains in search for the Navy Seals. Within a few hours, the men saw the Taliban drawing near. The Seals knew it was just a matter of time before they were sighted, so they quickly drew their weapons and started shooting at the Taliban. The Afghani's returned fire, and the scene feels with horrific anticipation, as the audience contimplates if their American heroes can survive. The Seals were able to hold off and kill many members of the Taliban, but they were too far outnumbered, and started being shot and killed one-by-one. Latrell was the only surviving member, by thinking swiftly, jumping down a steep hill, and concealing himself long enough that he was able to escape. Even when we make the best moral decision possible, it can lead to the most horrifying circumstance that we could ever imagine.
February 27, 2017
At first, Lone Survivor felt like just another run-of-the-mill soldier movie, but then it took a turn I wasn't expecting and ended up being quite inspirational. This film in brutal in a variety of ways, and it features some very impressive stunts and solid performances. It may not be 100% accurate, but this movie still makes you appreciate the men and women who fight for our country and the good that still exists in this world.
February 19, 2017
Here we see a lot of familiar faces. Woodrow from True Detective is back and heroic and handsome as ever. The two dueling antagonists from Alpha Dog are back, and it's a little unnerving to see them on the same side. Mark Wahlberg is more rednecky than normal and fits his role quite nicely. This movie gives a nice insight into the American military. There is a training montage at the beginning that's well done. Then you just see some barracks life, and for the first time in my life I actually thought it might be fun to be a navy seal. Of course that goes out the window when the action starts. The action scenes were all well done but there were two in particular that were literally painful to watch. This movie didn't have an anti-islam vibe. I would recommend seeing it when it comes to the movie channels at least once.
½ February 18, 2017
Walhber, bad as always, Eric Bana, surpisingly bad aswell. This is a bad movie, about a failed mission in the middle of Afghanistan. Based on true event. Not a must see.
February 13, 2017
when u see american war film .you definitley find those heroes who fight on like in video games
and you'll reveal their failure become american victory!
February 3, 2017
Pretty good, but sometimes I think America too weak and that's why we always get demolished, if I was the leader I would of kill the 3 guys in the beginning with the little goat, but since it's America you have to let them go so they can run and get the terrorist and get killed.. other then that it was a good movie
½ January 30, 2017
An incredible movie that shows us the horrors of modern war, the conflict between the characters is so good, in which by them making the best decision, it was the worse scenario for them. It has a slow beginning, but when it starts, it's freaking intense and it never stops, the performances and directing are across the board incredible.
January 29, 2017
Gritty, and hard to watch. It shows a very realistic and up-close side of war.
½ January 29, 2017
It lacks any sort of character development , but the movie stands as a harrowing true story of Survival and an unbelievable military exercise.
January 21, 2017
A truly brutal and gripping cinematic experience, Lone Survivor may be brazenly gung-ho and jingoistic, not to mention somewhat anti-climactic, but it delivers a metric tonne of thrills and contains one of the most intense and bloodiest gun fights I've ever seen in a film. It might stretch the suspension of disbelief a little too much at times, with our heroes surviving not 1 but fatal-looking cliff falls, but the excitement comes from the fact that it puts you right in the action, and you feel everything. Every bullet, every kick, every punch and every single thing the protagonist crash into. It's a bleak as Hell depiction of the savagery of war and just how strong the will to survive truly is. It's not a masterpiece, and many movies have been made with a more complex and compelling message on war, but for its sheer amount of heart-pounding action, scenes, it's definitely worth at least one watch.
½ January 11, 2017
A lot of gruesome scenes, the director wants to immerse you deeply till you can feel every breaking bone and piercing bullet.
January 3, 2017
true ride ..
hold on and good faith pays off
January 1, 2017
Story about 4 navy seals. It is little bit cliché but very good acting, nice imitation and accuracy at the end it is true based story.
½ December 25, 2016
Lone Survivor is based on a true story about four Navy Seals that get caught up trying to get away from the Taliban in Afghanistan back in 2005. This was a gruesome movie but not a feel good storyline. I didn't feel patriotic but rather felt the violence of humans against each other. But through it all, it shows that not all Muslims are evil but rather compassionate and would do anything to protect one man. Overall it had a great cast with a good script. I felt I was watching Black Hawk Down meets Friday Night Lights.