The Long Gray Line Reviews

• Sep 01, 2020

A surprisingly good tribute to West Point and all that it stands for. I'd like to visit it after seeing this. Saw it on TCM.

• Sep 22, 2018

This movie is absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking, a movie I can never forget. I do think it was slow and confusing at times, but it was still good. Another great performance by Tyrone Power.

• Feb 20, 2015

An epic of one man's life, loves and passion for the US military. It's also an immigrants story so taps in well to the history of the country he represents. It's too long for what it is, but John Ford's direction is solid enough to make it work.

• Nov 01, 2013

A true masterpiece that every movie-buff needs to watch....Enjoy!!!

A true masterpiece that every movie-buff needs to watch....Enjoy!!!

• Oct 07, 2013

Atmospheric, unusual Tyrone Power vehicle--no less different for director John Ford.

• Aug 24, 2011

A very well done film with a unique story. Not the best of Ford's work, but a truly fascinating narrative with believable and compelling characters. Kudos to Tyrone Power for taking a character 50 years from the beginning to the end of the film with great precision.

• Aug 24, 2011

• Apr 02, 2011

A lesser-known John Ford gem. Great true-life drama, the story of an NCO, Marty Maher, who spent 50 years - his entire Army career - at Westpoint. Starts off quite lamely, in a juvenile fashion, but gets better and better the longer it goes on. Admittedly, the sentimentality is laid on rather thick, but you don't mind the manipulation. Ford's direction is spot-on. The colours are lush, the camera angles perfect, the pacing precise and consistent. Tyrone Power is excellent in the lead role. The supporting cast - Maureen O'Hara especially - are superb too. For a history buff like me, one of the great aspects of the movie is the references to great historical military figures. If you consider that Marty Maher spent 50 years at Westpoint, from about 1900-1950, he would have met every officer produced by Westpoint in that period. Some of those officers are mentioned or represented - Eisenhower, Omar Bradley, Pershing, Patton, MacArthur. Westpoint's influence on US military history is huge, and successful.

• Dec 16, 2010

The Long Gray Line is an endearing film. Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. John Ford is at his best while directing this movie. I enjoyed the history and drama in this motion picture. The Long Gray Line is a must see.

• Feb 21, 2010

John Ford + Maureen O'Hara + Tyrone Power = In my "Top 5"

John Ford + Maureen O'Hara + Tyrone Power = In my "Top 5"