The Longest Yard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Longest Yard Reviews

September 27, 2017
Typical Adam Sandler film
September 19, 2017
So as you can tell from the title this is a modern (for the time) remake of the Burt Reynolds vehicle of the same name. And when I say its a remake I mean its literally a scene for scene remake, but now a vehicle for Adam Sandler. The plot is identical to the original movie which sees Paul Crewe (Sandler) going to jail after assaulting his rich girlfriend and then going off on a joyride in her expensive car.

Upon arrival in the big house Crewe is pressured/blackmailed into coaching the jail football team by the warden; but eventually ends up organising a training game between the convicts and guards. Crewe must battle his inner demons, pride and dignity versus cowing down to the warden for a safe but cowardly existence. Of course not much of that is translated across into this because its an Adam Sandler movie. Cue lots of immature toilet humour and sexual innuendos.

The first thing that really doesn't work in this movie is the plot opener. We find Crewe with his rich girlfriend, living in her luxurious pad. Said girlfriend is an uncredited cameo by Courtney Cox who looks unbelievable gorgeous I kid you not. She basically explains to Crewe that she owns him, he is her toy, as long as he obeys...his life will be very comfortable. Who in their right mind would say no to this??!! And before you think about it, you all need to see Cox and the outfit she's in. No bloke would walk away from this scenario, I'd be on my knees begging to be leashed and collared! So straight away I'm thinking this character is an idiot for throwing this away (the hot girl and her assets).

The next problem I had with this is Sandler and the fact he's just not believable as an ex-pro footballer. Admittedly Reynolds wasn't overly convincing to look at either but at least he looked relatively fit. But that's just a minor issue really, the real issue (as mentioned above) is the fact that this movie loses all the heart, soul and grit of the original. The 1974 movie was three things: an acceptable comedy, a hard and surprisingly dark prison drama, and a reasonably gritty sports flick. This new movie is a cheap slapstick riddled spoof, chock full of profanity and cameos mugging for the camera. The prison setting is merely an excuse for lots of cliched predictable prison related sight gags and nothing more. There is no real tension or drama, that aspect has been totally jettisoned. And despite the sports side of things being much glossier and slickly shot, it doesn't hold a candle to the original movie.

Its actually incredible to see the difference between the two movies when it comes down to the football side of things. In the original movie the game was very down to earth, nothing fancy. A brutal game of football in a very basic looking arena with no frills, it was believable. In this remake the game looks like something from the flippin' NFL! The arena is huge with all the modern perks, the pitch is perfect, massive crowds, sexy cheerleaders, all very glamorous. Clearly this prison has some money apparently. I admit I don't know much about American football being British, I do know American universities and colleges do have amazing sports facilities that far outstrip anything similar in the UK. But would a US prison have such sports facilities?

As for the cast, well naturally you have double the big name cameos of the original, both sports and entertainment wise. Sports wise there are quite a few big football names in here, never heard of them myself so I'll just leave it there. Entertainment wise there are some cool additions such as one time action man (and footballer) Brian Bosworth. David Patrick Kelly is perfect as the weaselly snitch Unger, but criminally underused. Quentin Tarantino collaborator Eddie Bunker just about manages his role (he looked pretty old). And Crewe's right-hand man 'Caretaker' is played by Chris Rock; who spends most of his screen time making jokes about white boys because apparently that's all he can do.

Cloris Leachman, Steve Austin, Terry Crews, William Fichtner, Dalip Singh (dude his [b]HUGE[/b]), Rob Schneider makes his usual pointless Sandler movie cameo, and James Cromwell adds gravitas as warden Hazen. Lastly Reynolds plays Nate Scarborough in a cringeworthy performance that isn't helped by the fact his ancient character steps in to play as a replacement and manages to score a touchdown. Because of course he does. I can't single out any one cast member though seeing as they were all pretty terrible. Twas like watching amateur dramatics half the time.

All in all this entire venture just seemed pointless. A chance for Sandler to mess around with his mates and call it work, and Reynolds needing work. What makes it so painful is the fact they've totally missed the point of the original movie by cutting the actual drama. Yeah there is some funny visual stuff sure, but you balance that with gritty tension of the prison setting. The only part they kinda got right was the death of Caretaker, but cutting back into infantile humour so quickly just destroys any emotional impact. Maybe if they hadn't aimed this at the moronic teenage MTV crowd (obligatory rap soundtrack...ugh!) it could of been half decent. But even then what's the point when the original captured it all so perfectly. And that's where I'm gonna end this, stick to the original.
September 17, 2017
Run of the mill remake from Sandler. The jokes are for kids and the characters are annoying cunts.
September 14, 2017
bastante entretenida
August 24, 2017
This movie is entertaining and interesting. This movie is more fun than actually good. The movie hits on points of racism and stereotyping. I watch it again and agin because its funny and family oriented.
½ July 18, 2017
An entertaining attempt at Adam Sandler trying to matter again. If you just sit back and let it be itself you'll laugh a bit. Not a lot but a bit.
½ May 24, 2017
Man this movie is so freaking funny.
April 25, 2017
The longest shart, atleast the original was a solid piece of excrement.
February 24, 2017
Sandler is da bomb...
January 9, 2017
I wasn't sure what to expect but it ended up being a good film, it didn't feel like an Adam Sandler movie even though he is the star of the movie.
December 28, 2016
Despite heavy critiques comparing the film to its original, this remake is a stand alone success and one of Sandler's better performances on the big screen. With a lovable ensemble of characters and an emotion tugging journey to venture on, this remake is definitely a success in my eyes.
December 17, 2016
It may not quite measure up to some far superior sports movies fiction or non-fiction but The Longest Yard benefits from the entertaining performances of Adam Sandler and Chris Rock and a good amount of laughs making this a reasonably entertaining film for fans of sports movies and Happy Madison fans.
½ December 6, 2016
Adam Sandler's last competent comedy has good intentions but it feels lazy in areas.
November 18, 2016
The first movie that I have ever seen on my own, but definitely not the last! This was the beginning of the end for me to catch onto Sandler's retarded shtick. It wasn't until a year later when I finally decided that "I'M DONE"! Sorry Adam, but I have finally had enough of this! Your comedy died to me in the last decade dude! Even Courtney Cox's boobs in the beginning, doesn't even score points for this feature! Yeah, there are a few funny moments here and there, but still, not enough to make this worth remembering by!
September 11, 2016
a fun movie by Happy Madison and Adam Sandler.....before he went completely brain-dead.Burt Reynolds,WWE and football icons abound.
½ September 3, 2016
The Longest Yard is funny and a great football movie. This is another great Adam Sandler movie. The plot of this movie is great and the movie is very entertaining. Two thumbs up! I would very much suggest this movie.
August 30, 2016
Didn't NEED any 'edginess' due to the tone of the film and great laughs - didn't even have an odd Adam sander voice
August 27, 2016
This comedy does its best to appeal to your adolescent male mentality through its prison genre, sports theme, acts of physical aggression and dialogue heavily consisting of playground insults. I think deep down even I wanted to like this and 10 years ago this probably would have been a higher rating. At this age however, the poor immature jokes, clichés and the tainted touch of Adam Sandler are all too obvious to ignore.
August 25, 2016
I really don't appreciate adam sandler anymore! his films are so disappointing and un funny
August 15, 2016
I like most football movies, so I might like this one too???