The Lost Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lost Boys Reviews

February 2, 2017
Started out cool, but got really corny at the end.
December 28, 2016
Cult horror-humor movie about vampires.
½ December 20, 2016
In this hit '80s hybrid of the horror movie and the teen flick, a single mom and her two sons become involved with a pack of vampires when they move into an offbeat Northern California town. Lucy (Dianne Wiest) and her sons, Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim), move to Santa Carla to live with Lucy's lovable but curmudgeonly father (Barnard Hughes). Lucy gets a job from video-store owner Max (Edward Herrmann), then begins dating him, while Sam hangs out with Edward and Alan Frog (Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander), a pair of vampire-obsessed comic-shop clerks. Soon Michael falls in with some actual vampires after becoming enamored of one of their victims: Star (Jami Gertz), a gypsy-like vixen who is trying to hold on to her humanity even though vampire leader David (Kiefer Sutherland) wants to play Peter Pan to her Wendy. When Michael visits the cavernous hangout of David and his cronies and unwittingly drinks from a wine bottle full of vampiric blood, he becomes an unwilling member of the bloodsucker biker gang. Soon, it's up to Sam and the Frog brothers to destroy David and his ilk without killing Michael and Star. Shot on location in the coastal California town of Santa Cruz and directed by Hollywood pro Joel Schumacher, The Lost Boys became a pop-culture phenomenon thanks to its attractive young stars, offbeat soundtrack, and hip, clever marketing campaign. The film's tagline -- "Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire." -- perfectly captured its knowing mixture of attitude and gore. The effects team who transformed Sutherland and company into snarling bloodsuckers would go on to provide equally gruesome effects for Blade, another revisionist vampire flick, more than a decade later.
December 9, 2016
I loved it the first time I seen the movie I in up watching it 10 times
½ December 7, 2016
A horror/comedy that must see.
½ October 26, 2016
While silly and over-the-top, the production value and faithful attachment to the Vampire mythology makes The Lost Boys a truly 80s product, gaining the well deserved cult classic category.
October 23, 2016
83%
The Lost Boys is a dated but gleaming treasure of gothic vampire cinema.

V: 69%
½ October 15, 2016
A good movie, it keeps me entertained and makes me laugh everytime I watch it.
½ October 13, 2016
A perfect example of 80's high concept, lets combine two of the Goonies with a bunch of Brat Park era bad boys and combine them into a Californian Dracula tale that follows all the tropes, from Jason Patric playing the Jonathan Harker trope as the kid who is brought under the sway of the vampire horde through Jamie Gertz's siren, with Kiefer Sutherland supposedly playing their leader and of course being a group of bikers to show how bad ass they are. Once these things are put into play it is up to the Goonies to save their brother and keep the secret from their doting mother Dianne Weist in one of her pre Oscar roles. Has some good ideas to work it into the new location and a decent twist or two, but you can tell Lost Boys is very much of its time being the 80's with all the classic tropes, music and ideas of cool. Worth a few jump scares but would have been cool if they commited strictly either to the Horror genre or kids but otherwise worth a look.
September 26, 2016
New family to the Santa Carla discover the city's murder problem is linked to a group of vampires. Stylish and modern film (when released) made a bit of a mark with a well-known cast and crew behind the camera. Feldman's limitations were beginning to show.
August 20, 2016
Epic horror comedy as the Frog Brothers act as the precursors for the brilliance that would come to fruition in Whedon's TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
August 18, 2016
As far as vampire movies go, this is a must see. It's scary with humor, the soundtrack is awesome and the atmosphere is unlike anything made nowadays with vampires. Plus Kiefer Sutherland as David is hot.
½ August 13, 2016
The Lost Boys is a classic teen vampire flick of the 80`s with a great cast and soundtrack. Definitely has its cheese, but doesn`t become too laughable and campy after almost 30 years. Haim and Feldman really steal the show in this movie.
August 8, 2016
Teen suspects his brother's a vampire and along with two other teens they set off to exterminate the vampires and rescue the brother. Too campy to be scary, it's typical eighties popcorn fare.
½ July 29, 2016
Thoroughly ridiculous, unimaginably stupid, and entirely pointless; yet unquestionably a blast from start to finish. While it works better as a dark comedy of teen rebellion and trying to fit in, it's a pretty decent vampire flick as well.
July 2, 2016
When compared to some more recent vampire movies like Blade and the twilight franchise, this film is an absolute masterpiece. Not packed with silly CGI vampire sequences but more simple and more effective effects instead. It had a great story and a fantastic cast.

I keep hearing people say it's a bit too 80's which is a ridiculous statement considering it was made in the 80's.

In my opinion, this IS the best vampire movie ever made! Not many have even come close to it. It's got the blend of comedy and horror just right, which is essential when it comes to vampires.
May 7, 2016
Made 30 years ago, this has been the most fun vampire slaying movie because of charismatic characters involved. The most charismatic of them all, Corey Haim, who played the lovable bath tub lips syncing Sam is not with us anymore. Another child actor biting the Hollywood dust. Tragically missed.
½ April 24, 2016
The Lost Boys is directed by Joel Schumacher, and it stars Corey Feldman, Jami Gertz, Corey Haim, Jason Patric, and Kiefer Sutherland in a vampire film about a family that move to California with their grandparent, and one of the brothers is hanging out with a group of guys that are vampires which he doesn't know, but he'll know soon enough, and his brother and him will have to deal with them. When watching this film, I was worried that the film was going to suck because of Joel Schumacher as a director as the only films that I've seen him direct, are Batman Forever which I thought was average, and Batman and Robin, which was one of the worst superhero films that I've seen. Then I was surprised that Richard Donner involved as one of the producers, and Jeffery Boam as the co-writer who wrote well known films like The Dead Zone and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, even though he only rewrote this film. Even with that said, I actually had fun watching this film that I was surprised that this was even a Joel Schumacher film. The acting is really good, especially the kid actors at the time like Corey Feldman and Corey Haim. It's very campy, but was mostly in the right places for it that I was having a laugh with this film as it's not taking itself seriously. Kiefer Sutherland as the villain is a lot of fun to watch as he's just going out with the right amount of silliness and intimidation. The Frog Brothers are a cool duo and have great chemistry with some funny moments. There were times that it was trying to be a horror film, and I wasn't scared at all in this film. There was only one moment that I thought was a bit creepy, but that's it, and I felt that it was more or less suitably better as a comedy film, which it is for the most part. There were some moments that I wasn't interested and was waiting for either the Frog Brothers or the vampires to show up, but other than that, The Lost Boys is better than I thought was going to be and I'm glad that this is the one that sort of brought the vampire genre to life.