Lost in America Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Jan 31, 2019

Doesn't hold up to modern comedy standards. Drags on. This is an example of a film that would do better as a featurette.

• Sep 16, 2018

Albert Brooks is one of the most irritating actors around. We rented this movie to watch with a group of friends and none of us could stand it for more than 15 minutes. We should’ve guessed that it was going to be downhill from the minute he was whining in bed to his wife about how they shouldn’t have bought their house.

• Aug 22, 2017

97% Tomatoes? What's the big deal with this snoozer from the Reagan era? You'll need to be a huge Albert Brooks fan to find funny in this very average road/buddy (wife, in this case) movie. And who's an Albert Brooks fan? Goofy from one end to the mercifully short other (at 1:30 in length). | - Norm de Guerre

• Aug 07, 2017

Albert Brooks excels at using the neurotic and pathetic rant for comedic purposes. It's the comedy of pain, I guess - not slapstick but emotional pain. And it's all the more excruciating because the character Brooks plays almost always brings the pain on himself through his own actions. Except in Lost in America, Julie Hagerty, playing his wife, also contributes to the pain (and Brooks can't handle it). The film basically moves from comedic set-piece - a social interaction gone so wrong (forcing your boss to fire you), for example - to comedic set-piece, another social interaction gone wrong (e.g., punched in the face by a murderous ex-convict - funnier than it sounds). You watch these interactions unfold and they keep going until you almost can't stand it anymore (but Brooks doesn't know when to stop). But, oh yes, the plot: Brooks loses his job as a highly-paid advertising executive and, with his wife, decides to drop out of society a la Easy Rider (to the strains of "Born to be Wild"). Being yuppies they cash in all their assets, buy a giant RV, and set off to find themselves and the real America. But first they hit Las Vegas to get re-married and it all goes downhill from there. Director Garry Marshall has a great cameo as a casino boss. Music and editing are used expertly to keep things perfectly paced (and also to bring on the laughs) across a swift 90 minutes shot mostly on location. If only Brooks would return to making films like this.

• Apr 29, 2017

This is probably the first film to reference The Terminator. Starts off and sustains a bang, eventually somewhat of a lull then a pretty abrupt ending. Besides that, you gotta see it.

• Apr 10, 2017

Just not quite there. It means well enough I suppose, and it probably made more sense in its time - but by today's standards it is half-baked. Not funny enough. 4.4 out of 10

• Dec 31, 2016

I was a little put off by this film's apparent message, which is that capitalism is the only route to happiness. It also leans a little too heavily on Albert Brooks' shoulders, leaving little for Julie Hagerty to do. But it's funny and funny hides a lot of sins. 4.9/10

• Dec 11, 2016

Lost in America shows that Brooks has great talent that isn't recognized by people. While the ending goes overboard, Lost in America will make you laugh till it hurts.

• Aug 25, 2016

HOW HAVE I GONE THIS LONG WITHOUT SEEING AN ALBERT BROOKS FILM?! Pleasantly cynical, realistically sweet, and dryly hysterical.