LUV Reviews

• Jan 01, 2017

All led to nothing, an inconsistent affair with minimal purpose...

All led to nothing, an inconsistent affair with minimal purpose...

• May 28, 2016

Though I grew up in Pittsburgh - NFL arch-rival of Baltimore - I grew up learning Uncle Vincent's of my own. It is easy to understand how those outside of the African-American legacy of survival might be confused by the character flawlessly portrayed by Common, as well as his relationship with his nephew. If you have not grown up in this world, it may seem surreal. Yet for us who embrace our extended families in urban communities at odds with relentlessly indifferent urban renewal and global capitalistic powers and policies, the ubiquitous irony revealed in LUV is both palpable and all too familiar. In LUV, August Wilson's themes of love, honor, duty, and betrayal run deep. If you didn't get it the first time, watch it again. Then incarnate yourself in the seedier side of your nearest urban center for a decade or so, and watch LUV once again. At that point, it will all make sense.

• Sep 01, 2015

Common was great as always!

Common was great as always!

• Apr 21, 2015

Highly abrasive and the end left me open, but it kept me till the very end. Not many movie do that to me.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Oct 29, 2014

Fresh out of jail, Vincent(Common) visits his nephew Woody(Michael Rainey Jr.) who is staying with his grandmother(Lonette McKee). That is followed by Vincent driving his nephew to school. Except he takes him to a tailor instead. That is to make a good impression when Victor goes to the bank to get a loan for his proposed restaurant. And then is stunned when he learns that his collateral is about to be foreclosed, requiring about $25,000 by Monday. That leads Vincent to reconnect with Arthur(Danny Glover), followed by a meeting with Mr. Fish(Dennis Haysbert). With its exemplary cast that also includes Charles S. Dutton, Michael Kenneth Williams and Russell Hornsby, "Luv" takes the old story of an ex-con trying to go straight and turns it partially on its head. Whereas some cultural commentators complain about the absence of African American men from their children's lives(usually said comments come from outside the community), the movie takes a different angle by saying how in some cases it might not be such a bad idea if the man of the house is not present, considering how toxic his presence might possibly be. And Vincent may think he is doing good by Woody, but his actions speak otherwise. However, in the end, the wildly improbable ending undoes a lot of the realities of what came before in its lyrical pretentiousness.

• Sep 23, 2014

Decent easy to watch drama with gangster overtones. Some good tense scenes and fairly short length means it doesn't out stay his welcome.

• Jun 23, 2014

godd tales from the hood

godd tales from the hood

• Apr 18, 2014

A young boy with no parents around to look after him spends a day with his ex criminal Uncle who is soon dragged back to his old ways.

• Mar 28, 2014

Tortuous well-meaning story between two generations of the same family, but sadly it's not done too well.

• Feb 23, 2014

Common's best film to date.

Common's best film to date.