The Mack Reviews

• Apr 08, 2020

yes, i loved this movie, yes you should watch it, good blackslotation movie. go get it, get it now.

• Mar 07, 2017

A low level criminal, Goldie, becomes a pimp and has to deal with the retaliation of other pimps and corrupt police officers. There are some funny scenes of "the players ball" and pimp get togethers where they all play softball in their pimp clothes.

• Nov 21, 2015

If you want to learn more racial epithets like: honky, cracker, white trash, etc. you'll watch the right movie with this one. The term mack daddy, the lincoln continentals and cadillacs made up to look like duesenbergs, the fake fur coats with oversized hats, all products cooked up by hollywood producers who spent more time in an office where they couldn't see these things, perhaps utilizing the products offered by the title character of this film, are prominent aspects of the mack. Later movies, and movies produced simultaneously, would cause these creations to be adopted by the general population, the same way I'm with stupid t-shirts, pet rocks, "pyramid power" containers, psychics etc. were adopted. Basically, it's movies like the mack that converted a civil rights movement into a full blown race war that had or has drafted many, many of whom unwillingly, into it's pointless mess. Whether that is black exploitation,wasting people's time and worse lives, in a manufactured struggle, or not, can't be answered by movies like the mack.

• Sep 26, 2015

Classic blaxploitation is better made than most, but the the rampant misogyny severely dates the film and is pretty hard to take in this tale of pimp Max Julien rising to the ranks of the biggest pimp in town. There's always been a fairly consistent thread of misogyny throughout blaxploitation cinema, but it's really front and center in this film. Despite the offensive elements of the film, the film does have better than average performances. Julian is compelling at Goldie, but there are also strong performances from Richard Pryor, Carol Speed and Roger E. Mosley. I do consider myself a fan of blaxploitation, but this is a film that's never really appealed to me.

• Sep 24, 2015

Not the best entertainment other than some odd situations and surprising humour.

• Sep 19, 2015

in the tradition of 'shaft' and 'cofey' comes yet another tale of a supa dupa fly pimp

• Jun 16, 2015

very good movie for the seventy

very good movie for the seventy

• Apr 15, 2015

Enjoyable performances and not much else.

Enjoyable performances and not much else.

• Feb 01, 2014

"That n***a wanted the honey but all we want is the money" "they gonna talk about me like I was Jesus" "everything you need to know you have to get from me" so many good quotes in this movie! That's why it's a classic!

• Dec 19, 2013

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.