Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome Reviews

½ March 22, 2017
I love Mad Max but this movie isn't great. I think the reason is because the co writer died. However when I watch this I feel more like I'm watching Peter pan and the lost boys
March 21, 2017
Working my way through a recently released boxset, I finally came to this one and while I had vague memories of liking it, I was forced to realize, this was the least interesting of the original trilogy of films. Maybe it's the characters, maybe it's the addition of children and making it feel more like an adventure story than a brutal fight for survival, but this one left me fairly cold.

Worth a look, but you're better served revisiting one of the other movies in the series.
½ March 13, 2017
This movie was pretty good. It could get a little boring or weird, but it was mostly smart and entertaining.
½ March 4, 2017
great movie better then I remember
December 25, 2016
the least of the Mad Max series. Stop with the Road Warrior!
½ December 19, 2016
It fully embraces the extravagant "pox-ecliptic" over-the-topness that had already been injected into Mad Max 2 and made that film so visually unique, thus being more entertaining than the previous movies even if more cerebral and less action-oriented (or perhaps because of that).
December 17, 2016
Beyond Thunderdome Is Another Fun And Zany Entry In The Series, Helped By Wonderful Performances From Mel Gibson And Tina Turner.
½ December 6, 2016
Often unfairly seen as the weakest of the series, it is actually the most fun. Sure, the action doesn't start until very late (but really delivers then), but the quirky ideas, outrageous production design and world building make this a highlight of the series. It also helps that two great Tina Turner songs frame the film, making it an 80s lovechild in post-apocalyptic clothes.
½ December 4, 2016
Going a little too far with the series at this point, enjoyable by fans but not by the general public. Left a lot to be desired.
½ November 27, 2016
Painful. On Blu-ray.
½ November 19, 2016
This is by far the worst of the Mad Max movies. It starts off pretty good when Max makes it to Bartertown, but gets derailed when he makes it to "Neverland" with all the kids. It then becomes a mix of Temple of Doom and Return of the Jedi (Think Ewoks), it does come back and leave the viewer with a somewhat satisfying ending, but no where near the ending of the Road Warrior.
½ August 31, 2016
Too Hollywood for what started off as an Aussie Classic
August 31, 2016
It's funny but silly, and better than 80% of action movies, but it pales in comparison to the other three masterpieces, worth checking out if you're a fan of the other three however.
August 16, 2016
The thunder dome has become a staple trope of dystopia sci-scifi. Like it's predicessor, a post-apocalypse etymology as much as an action film.
½ July 25, 2016
No action, weak plot. Boring.
½ July 18, 2016
The grim tone was stripped away in favour of adventure comedy. Max now arrives at a seedy trading centre controlled by Tina Turner who could not act, then he was cast out to a town of survivors of plane crash. I enjoyed the concept but the change in tone was a really bad move. The survivors of plane crash forming a colony was a really neat concept though, I am sure Fallout series has taken that element into the game as well.
July 18, 2016
This stirring movie in comic-strip style is packed with unbelievable car stunts , thrills, chills and noisy action . Violent movie about a futuristic road-warrior cop with high-velocity action and kinetic energy . This classic is set a few years from now , a dangerous, desolate post-industrial future world where rules the strongest law . It concerns about the exploits and feats of an ex-police named Max (Mel Gibson) on the apocalyptic future world . Being stolen of his possessions by Jeddeiah (Bruce Spence) and his son while walking through the Australian outback , Max heads toward a remote city called Bartertown , a post-nuclear location full of kind of criminals and governed by Aunt Entity (Tina Turner). Bartertown runs on methane gas, which is produced from pig feces by prisoner-slaves. All methane comes from an underground cavern, Underworld . Max is forced to fight against Master Blaster on behalf of Aunt Entity in order that she gains whole control of the town . Max survives a battle-to-the-death in Roman style Thunderdome arena . But when the combat is over he is thrown back out into the solitary desert . Exiled Mad Max meets a group of orphans, the only survivors of a plane crash during the nuclear war . The group of children and teens is living as a strange commune ( similarly to ¨William Golding's Lord of flies¨) and take to Max as their Messiah named the 'Captain Walker' . Max says them that he's not Captain Walker and that civilization is gone , wiped out by the nuclear apocalypse . Later on , Mad Max along with them returns Bartertown to confront cutthroats and the revenge takes place . Max and the group wreak havoc on the city and escape from fortress but vengeance will be terrible and bands of depraved crazies thirsty for blood pursue them . They are besieged by motorized warlords and they'll have to fight against the cutthroats , a band of depraved crazies thirsty for blood and survive some battles to-the-death with lots of blood and gore, including throating-slit , beheading , impaling and blow up.

This exciting picture packs kinetic action , thrills, chills , tension and abundant violence . Spectacular stunt-work plenty of fights , motorcycle races , cars with bounds and leaps and explosions . The picture is divided in three parts : the first happens on the boisterous city of Bartertown , the second on the sunny desert with metaphysical moments and Max surrounded by children and third , the conclusion , again on Bartertown and the subsequent getaway in ¨Mad Max 2¨ style . Top-notch Mel Gibson as road warrior at one of his first main roles , he embarks a spectacular adventure against vicious murderous and with some philosophical moments . Weird roles and fantastic atmosphere combine with stunning action scenes in this remarkable action film that completes perfectly the excellent trilogy . Rumbling score fitting to action by Maurice Jarre and emotive music including chores when are developed the scenes of the children . Special and weird futuristic atmosphere created by cameraman Dean Semler who reflects splendidly the barren outdoors . The motion picture is stunningly directed by George Miller ( and George Ogilvi) , author of the excellent post-apocalypse ¨Mad Max¨ trilogy along with the writer and producer Byron Kennedy . It's followed by numerous imitations as the recent ¨Doomsday¨(2008, Neal Marshall), rip offs, and exploitations .This remarkable action film will appeal to Science Fiction buffs. Rating : 7 , Above average. Well worth watching.
July 8, 2016
Dislike this movie with a passion but still think it is a ok film at best
July 7, 2016
"I've tried so hard to like this film, but I just couldn't. No one wants a PG-13 rated 'Mad Max' film! It's slow paced, no car action 'till an hour and a 20 minutes, and there's nothing compared to the original whatsoever. And I thought 'Fant4stic' was bad."
½ June 25, 2016
It's like a caricature of Mad Max twisted out of control then packaged and sold to children.