Major League - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Major League Reviews

February 14, 2017
Sports cliches flying across the screen as fast as Charlie Sheen's pitching, but such an enjoyably time! Berenger and Sheen prove to be likable leads and the dialogue is as witty as you'll see
December 29, 2016
A classic movie. Good acting and a good story. Funny and entertaining.
½ December 17, 2016
this movie doesn't claim to be anything it isn't... you can predict exactly what happens. but it's SO GOOD. this movie is fantastic.
November 26, 2016
Rachel Phelps is the new owner of the Cleveland Indians baseball team. However, her plans for the team are rather nefarious. She wants to move the team to Miami for the warmer climate and a new stadium. To justify the move, the team has to lose, and lose badly. So she assembles the worst possible team she can. Among these are a past-his-prime catcher with bad knees, a shrewd but past-his-prime pitcher, a young tearaway pitcher (and felon) with a 100 mph fastball but absolutely no control, a third baseman who is too wealthy and precious to dive, a voodoo-loving slugger who can't hit a curveball and an energetic-but-naive lead off hitter and base-stealer who can't keep the ball on the ground. Against the odds, and after the inevitable initial failures, they iron out some of their faults and start to win, much to Ms Phelps' consternation.

Great baseball movie. Plot is your standard sport fairy tale - a non-hoper team's rise against adversity. While the result is a bit predictable, the journey is very entertaining. Very funny, with some wonderfully diverse and idiosyncratic characters.

Very engaging too. Even though you suspect you know how things are going to pan out, nothing is certain and you get swept along with the movies boundless energy.

One of the best sports comedies, if not sports movies, you'll see.
November 16, 2016
Absolutely, positively one of the GREAT sports movies of our time. Endlessly quotable like Caddyshack. Bob Uecker is comedy gold.
October 23, 2016
Had to. Go Tribe baby!
October 2, 2016
- A favourite comedy of mine, this one is likely one of the films I have watched the most of any. I have seen it so many times yet I still enjoy it each time. The whole cast is so good in this, such a great movie!

- One of my favourite comedies growing up, just watched it again and it stills makes me laugh. Quite possibly the movie that I have watched the most times of any. Hard to believe that it's 21 years old...
½ October 1, 2016
This movie was rather pleasant and amusing. A battle between corporate mongers who wish to control the people. Also with a little rags to riches ploy. Nice ending.
½ September 26, 2016
Amusing in spots, it's pretty predictable. The ending is corny too.
½ August 27, 2016
Major League is somewhat funny, but it is a great baseball movie. The trailer to this movie looked good and when I saw the movie I thought it was good. This movie is great and has a good plot. I would very much suggest this movie.
½ August 7, 2016
A perfectly enjoyable cookie cutter sports movie with great characters.
½ July 9, 2016
Major League is a decent film. It is about the new owner of the Cleveland Indians puts together a purposely horrible team so they'll lose and she can move the team. Charlie Sheen and Tom Berenger give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. David S. Ward did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor.
July 6, 2016
Major League may have been predictable in certain ways, but the comedy within Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, and Corbin Bernsen is absolutely strong. It's the kind of movie that has left a huge mark on the art of sports movies, comedy movies, and the art of baseball itself. It's fantastic.
June 13, 2016
Funny if predictable comedy about the owner of the Cleveland Indians as she intentionally fills her roster with burnt out players guaranteed to lose, so she can move the team to Florida. The owners plan backfires and the team wins their division. This comedy is arguably the best baseball comedy of all time. Sheen gives a memorable performance as the teams erratic ex convict pitcher.
½ May 14, 2016
It's definitely got a lot of cliches, but Major League overcomes them by being consistently hilarious and ringing out good performances and developed characters. A sports comedy done right.
½ May 14, 2016
Has not aged well. Stick with Slap Shot for this type of film.
May 14, 2016
A standard underdog story, but filled with great laughs, memorable characters, and exciting game action. Classic.
May 5, 2016
Owner of Cleveland Indians wants to move the team to a warmer climate so she concocts an idea to assemble the worst players possible. The plan backfires and the team starts to win. The characters in this comedy drive the film. A surprise comedy classic for sure.
May 2, 2016
Great characters built by great performances by once dedicated actors. Major League built itself on a cult status and holds on to this day.
April 14, 2016