Major League - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Major League Reviews

August 19, 2017
A fun baseball movie that will have you rooting for the Tribe regardless of your affiliation. (First viewing - Late teen years)
May 2, 2017
If there's any sport that makes for a great movie it's baseball. Perhaps I'm a little bias because I play the sport, but there's something about America's pastime that really hits home in the movies.

Major League tells the made-up (but totally based on the real-life struggles of the Cleveland Indians) story of a group of misfits hired by a new owner to lose as many games as possible, to ensure her plan of moving the team down to Miami. On the outskirts, it seems like a ridiculous premise that would be something out of a spoof movie. But in reality, there's actually a good deal of dramatic heft to the story as well. Luckily, the comedy and drama both balance each other out quite well.

With a memorable cast of misfits, including Charlie Sheen as the fireball pitcher Ricky Vaughn, Tom Berenger as the old but still effective Jake Taylor, Wesley Snipes as Willie Mays Hayes, Dennis Haysbert as the religious Pedro Cerrano, and of course the colorful Bob Uecker as the Indians play by play announcer. With all movies, but specifically with sports movies, you need a group of actors that have chemistry and feel like a team when they're together. Albeit extremely unconventional, the players that make up this Indians team are something else. And even though it seems like the characters are built around stereotypes, the way the actors portray them makes it never feel like stereotypical characters at all. Instead, they make for some of the most quotable lines in the history of sports films.

With that said, the film definitely delves into some paint by numbers plot points for sports films. You have your ups, downs, and montages, just like all of the other great sports pictures. I also find it sometimes difficult to watch a sports film, baseball in particular, because the movies have a hard time capturing how a game flows and looks. There are moments that feel completely acted out and unnatural, and while I can give it a pass in some areas, others I can't. However, overall Major League is a fun and re-watchable sports film that gives us plenty of comedy and a surprising amount of dramatic payoff as well.

P.S. It's funny how it's been 30 more years, and the Indians are still on their World Series drought.

+Blend of comedy and drama

+Memorable characters and performances

-Predictable

8.0/10
April 11, 2017
One liner comedy about a baseball team that manages to win with a group of knuckleheads. Kind of like 'The Bad News Bears' but with adults. Not as good but I enjoyed it. Mainly because of Charlie Sheen who was discovered to be a funny guy when he made this movie.
February 14, 2017
Sports cliches flying across the screen as fast as Charlie Sheen's pitching, but such an enjoyably time! Berenger and Sheen prove to be likable leads and the dialogue is as witty as you'll see
December 29, 2016
A classic movie. Good acting and a good story. Funny and entertaining.
½ December 17, 2016
this movie doesn't claim to be anything it isn't... you can predict exactly what happens. but it's SO GOOD. this movie is fantastic.
November 26, 2016
Rachel Phelps is the new owner of the Cleveland Indians baseball team. However, her plans for the team are rather nefarious. She wants to move the team to Miami for the warmer climate and a new stadium. To justify the move, the team has to lose, and lose badly. So she assembles the worst possible team she can. Among these are a past-his-prime catcher with bad knees, a shrewd but past-his-prime pitcher, a young tearaway pitcher (and felon) with a 100 mph fastball but absolutely no control, a third baseman who is too wealthy and precious to dive, a voodoo-loving slugger who can't hit a curveball and an energetic-but-naive lead off hitter and base-stealer who can't keep the ball on the ground. Against the odds, and after the inevitable initial failures, they iron out some of their faults and start to win, much to Ms Phelps' consternation.

Great baseball movie. Plot is your standard sport fairy tale - a non-hoper team's rise against adversity. While the result is a bit predictable, the journey is very entertaining. Very funny, with some wonderfully diverse and idiosyncratic characters.

Very engaging too. Even though you suspect you know how things are going to pan out, nothing is certain and you get swept along with the movies boundless energy.

One of the best sports comedies, if not sports movies, you'll see.
November 16, 2016
Absolutely, positively one of the GREAT sports movies of our time. Endlessly quotable like Caddyshack. Bob Uecker is comedy gold.
October 23, 2016
Had to. Go Tribe baby!
October 2, 2016
- A favourite comedy of mine, this one is likely one of the films I have watched the most of any. I have seen it so many times yet I still enjoy it each time. The whole cast is so good in this, such a great movie!

- One of my favourite comedies growing up, just watched it again and it stills makes me laugh. Quite possibly the movie that I have watched the most times of any. Hard to believe that it's 21 years old...
½ October 1, 2016
This movie was rather pleasant and amusing. A battle between corporate mongers who wish to control the people. Also with a little rags to riches ploy. Nice ending.
½ September 26, 2016
Amusing in spots, it's pretty predictable. The ending is corny too.
½ August 27, 2016
Major League is somewhat funny, but it is a great baseball movie. The trailer to this movie looked good and when I saw the movie I thought it was good. This movie is great and has a good plot. I would very much suggest this movie.
½ August 7, 2016
A perfectly enjoyable cookie cutter sports movie with great characters.
½ July 9, 2016
Major League is a decent film. It is about the new owner of the Cleveland Indians puts together a purposely horrible team so they'll lose and she can move the team. Charlie Sheen and Tom Berenger give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. David S. Ward did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor.
July 6, 2016
Major League may have been predictable in certain ways, but the comedy within Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, and Corbin Bernsen is absolutely strong. It's the kind of movie that has left a huge mark on the art of sports movies, comedy movies, and the art of baseball itself. It's fantastic.
June 13, 2016
Funny if predictable comedy about the owner of the Cleveland Indians as she intentionally fills her roster with burnt out players guaranteed to lose, so she can move the team to Florida. The owners plan backfires and the team wins their division. This comedy is arguably the best baseball comedy of all time. Sheen gives a memorable performance as the teams erratic ex convict pitcher.
½ May 14, 2016
It's definitely got a lot of cliches, but Major League overcomes them by being consistently hilarious and ringing out good performances and developed characters. A sports comedy done right.
½ May 14, 2016
Has not aged well. Stick with Slap Shot for this type of film.
May 14, 2016
A standard underdog story, but filled with great laughs, memorable characters, and exciting game action. Classic.